Stafford playoff thread

Is that a Crystal Pepsi 2 liter?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be cheering for the Cardinals all weekend. Wouldnā€™t mind seeing Eagles, Steelers, 49ers all pull upsets as well. Anything that can improve that Rams pick.

2 Likes

They created their own shit stormā€¦ with 1 of those immensely valuable 1st round beanz.

They might have been much better off giving that pick away for nothingā€¦ rather than drafting Jordan Loveā€¦ and yetā€¦ some worry the Rams are doomed because they are lacking picks in the #25 zip code.

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

1 Like

We should do a bracket

Let me rephrase thatā€¦

WE SHOULD START A BRACKET thread for NFL.

More a prediction than bracket, because of how NFL does itā€¦you know what I mean

Can we make a bracket, on what Kelly is going to throw next?

1 Like

Car Baseball GIF

orā€¦.,

Angry Parks And Recreation GIF by PeacockTV

2 Likes

Another stafford thread?

Hope he wins the super bowl.

Okay, so letā€™s talk about Goffā€™s improvement.

2 Likes

sew louis ck GIF by HULU

2 Likes

I hope the Cards Ram it up they arse. Moar magic beans! Bigger, better, stronger magic beans!! :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

From the article:

That said, I think Iā€™m more concerned with how Matthew Stafford will play in this game than any late-season struggles that Arizona has faced. Over the last four weeks, the Rams quarterback has thrown as many interceptions (8) as he has touchdowns (8), including multiple picks over the last three games. If those turnovers bleed into the playoffs, that could prove to be a death sentence for Los Angeles and only amplify the narrative that Stafford ā€“ who is 0-3 in the playoffs in his career ā€“ struggles in the big moments. The Rams have also struggled to cover against good teams as they are 1-5 ATS vs. teams with a winning record.

But youā€™re not reading what I actually said. Iā€™ll repeat, I never said that the Rams doomed their franchise, Iā€™m just saying that they mortgaged their future to go all in now not whether or not it was the right move. Nothing more, nothing less. Youā€™re arguing with air (not Air2thethrown) about the value of the beanzz.

Me here just waiting for Stafford to throw a pick or three:
90S GIF

3 Likes

that may well beā€“but the ramā€™s better get better stoping the run

1 Like

You may not have said it, but they are certainly doomed. They have a 40 year old left tackle and no great shakes at right tackle with no draft picks or cap space to rectify either. They have holes throughout their lineup and no hope of filling them.

If they win one Superbowl with this group, itā€™s worth it. If not, itā€™s a failure.
In other words, theyā€™re all in with this group for the next few years. Weā€™ll see what happens is the best I can say. We canā€™t really make a judgment until they make their playoff run.

I expect this thread to last less than a week. I like Stafford, but I think the Cardinals win this weekā€¦

1 Like

Without Woods I donā€™t think theyā€™re going to be successful. Over the season 1/3 of all passes are going to Kupp. Since woods has gone out Kupp is targeted more than the next three guys combined. They also lost their only other secondary guy besides Ramsey so I guess they are counting on Waddle to come out of 2 years of retirement to cover half the field on a Rascal Scooter.

The Packers and Saints mortgage is significant (especially the Packers) . . . if I borrow as much as I can from the 2022 roster to free up as much cap space in 2022 as possible (pretty much what Packers and Saints have been doing the last several years), by bonusing out base salaries and adding void years . . . I can get to about $4M under the cap Packers (franchising Adams, RFA Lazzard and doing nothing with Rodgers contract), $50M Saints, $83M Lions and $98M LA Rams. To put it into perspective, if I did the same thing with the Dolphins (who have the most cap space going into 2022), they would come in at $111M under.

Packers have mortgaged the future and the bill is coming due (unless they can get Adams and Erin to buy in and take some club friendly deals, that didnā€™t happen last year). Rams arenā€™t going to get an Aaron Donald/Eric Ebron, TJ Watt/Sam Darnold, but they have plenty of wiggle room to keep the team together for the foreseeable future, the Packers donā€™t.

2 Likes

The difference between media portrayal of teams and the reality is pretty big. Just like comparing last yearā€™s lions to this year is really tough due to all of the turnoverā€¦ so is comparing the rams teams. Last year the rams had a really great defense and good running game while their passing game struggled. This year the passing game is better, their run game is solid but unspectacular and the defense is no where near what it was.

The rams had done a great job finding contributors in later rounds the last few years but this yearā€™s class has been a giant dud. The lost some key players from last year hoping role players would step upā€¦ but they havenā€™t. On offense their pass game is more explosive with Stafford slinging itā€¦ but theyā€™ve been wrecked by inconsistency and injuries. Despite the media narrativeā€¦ odb has not filled in for losing Robert woods. About half of Staffordā€™s big questionable throws have been to odb, and mcvay has called him out for running improper routes on multiple explanations of interceptions. Heā€™s not all to blameā€¦ since he was a mid season tradeā€¦ but thatā€™s what you get for not having depth. Most of the guys that went through camp are gone or on IR. Jackson, atwell, Harris, Mundt, Henderson etc.

On defense the narrative is about their starsā€¦ Ramsey, Donald and millerā€¦ but they severely lack solid players around them. And all of their talent is on the outside. They have Floyd, Darius Williams, solid olb depth, etc. But their LBs and safeties are atrocious. They lost John johnsonā€¦ and they traded Kenny young because they liked Ernest Jones who is now on IR. They are completely undersized in the middleā€¦ but lack coverage ability as well. This is why they canā€™t stop the run and thus canā€™t put teams in 3rd and long to rush the passer. Combine that with some poor communication and coaching, and they canā€™t seem to get their coverages right either. So even when they get to rush, guys come open due to broken coverage a lot. They are so desperate they signed Eric weddle at 37.

The rams donā€™t seem built to go deep in the playoffs this year. So people will compare their run last year to this year and put it on the big name change with Stafford. But there is a lot more to it. Year to year NFL teams change a lot. Injuries are a huge part a teams success. The Stafford trade wasnā€™t just for one year. Maybe next year they have more depth and fewer injuries to have a better shot. Not that they have no chance this yearā€¦ My whole point is that the narrative tends to be simpleā€¦ like the rams stayed the same but now they have Stafford. Or the lions are the same but have Goff and Campbell. Neither can be judged in a vacuum.

4 Likes

Very well thought out post.

To add: The last few years, Goff was mid 20ā€™s in QBR/QB rating, this year Stafford is 4 and 6 . . . so the QB play has improved (even as bad as Stafford has played at times, but he has been a top 5 QB for the year). The Defense went from the #1 ranked defense to a mid teens defense.

1 Like