Stafford Thread

I thought he played great. Not sure how good of a running game they will have but he has plenty of guys to throw to. I had no idea Kupp was the #1 YAC guy in the NFL.

Matt already won the Super Bowl of Life…he is out of Detroit!!!
Its amazing what happens to quality players when they get out from the atmosphere of failure in Detroit. Matt is happy as can be. He is in the entertainment capital of the world, great weather, lots of endorsements and the Lions are in his rear view mirror. I wish him all the best and a chance at win a championship.

It certainly looks like he didn’t make a mistake asking for that trade.

Sure. He’s a good guy, loved Detroit’s fans, always deserved to have a better team built around him in the decade-plus that the Lions didn’t even have to think about QB issues. Great to see him give the L to a division rival.

But we need that draft pick, so I’m hoping that SF dominates the NFCW and the Rams get bounced on the road in the Wild Card round.

1 Like

All the picks in the world aren’t going to help this team! Need to fix the “looser state of mind”.

Merging Stafford stuff into this thread. FYI.

Yes. But it’s the same stink that we would have had with Stafford under center. Yesterday’s game would have gone exactly the same. The INT was something that Stafford would have done: playing Hero Ball and trying to jam a pass into his best receiver in triple coverage. We even had some classic 4Q Stat Padford action. There probably will come a time this season where we say “Stafford would have won.” Probably when Goff’s weaker arm and slower release make the difference, but yesterday wasn’t that day.

If anything, yesterday’s performance should highlight that getting two (late) first-round picks to rebuild was a good trade, because there’s nothing that can happen with the QB that would make an immediate difference.

1 Like

I noticed an interesting thing…

Stafford and the Rams scored 34 points against the Bears. Matt had 320 yards passing and 3 TDs.

On 12-6-2020… Stafford and the Lions scored 34 points and beat the Bears… in Chicago.
Matt threw for 402 yards and 3 TDs.

I was attempting to say something similar in a topic that got locked before I could post it. Beating the Bears apparently is a much bigger deal in LA than it was Detroit. :rofl:

3 Likes

The Rams played the Bears, who if Swift doesn’t drop that easy TD we would have swept last year.

5 Likes

In which Stafford threw for 688 yards and 4 TD’s against.

If Jalen Johnson intercepts that screen pass and takes it for a pick-6, would Stafford be getting this same praise?!?!

1 Like

Q: Tell me you’ve never seen Barry Sanders play without saying “I’ve never seen Barry Sanders play.”

A:

1 Like

That first Bears game had another classic Stafford moment to close it out. We are up 10 points with 4 minutes left. The Bears go down and score a TD to bring it to within 3 points with 3 minutes left. Is it “dagger time?” With 2:45 left and backed up in our own territory Stafford throws a dumb pass into coverage and it gets picked off. Now the Bears have the ball in game tying field goal range and Mitch is the one that pulls out the dagger.

As I pointed out in a previous thread…Stafford had a weird knack for that kind of stuff. Losing wasn’t all on him but he certainly contributed.

2 Likes

And, Matt win without a strong running game for three quarters… he carried the team. And tossed two TDs each plus fifty yards….

And the Lions Goff passed for more yards and we ran for an additional 40 yards more than the Rams……

Or offensive was no better but no worse overall production wise

Difference? Defense baby!

We stay constant or better in offense and make needed adjustments on defense and we become competitive imho…

The Pick-6 was Classic Stafford. Trying to close the gap to one score before the half by playing Hero Ball, forcing the ball into triple coverage.

If you didn’t watch the game and only looked at the box score, I defy anyone to tell me the difference between Goff and Stafford.

Allow me to add the 2nd-and-8 play with 5:39 left in 4th quarter. Lions were leading by 10 points.

The LOS was the 33 yard line, and a pass was called with a sprint out… something an OC would do to allow the the QB to get rid of the ball outside the tackle box to avoid a sack.

Stafford held the ball… and took the sack for a 9 yard loss. After the game, Stafford himself said, “I definitely wish I had thrown that away.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/5785562002

They managed to pick up 5 yards on 3rd down, but Prater then had to kick a 55 yard FG attempt and missed. If the Lions had kept that FG shorter and made it… Swift wouldn’t have even been asked to catch a pass at tje end of game… because a FG would have won it.

2 Likes

Stafford played well…that’s about it.