Stafford to the Jags for No.2 overall

Saw the idea when catching up on the Stafford to 49ers stuff.

The Jags have $60M in cap space, still would have 4 picks in the top 66 of the draft.

I don’t think they’d (Jags) do it, but can’t see where the Lions would turn it down if they’re going full rebuild.

Probably have to toss them a pick too… Maybe our 2nd

It would be the dumbest thing the Lions have done even worse then taking the wind. Now, #2 and all their other picks thru 68, yes. You have a proven record setting QB in the NFL vs a unproven never played in the NFL. It would be beyond dumb to be honest

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

No way anyone is giving up anything close to that for Stafford.

Now, that is close to the dumbest thing I have heard on this topic

1 Like

Not going to happen, the Jags are less ready to compete than the Lions are and we’re supposedly moving on from Stafford so that we can rebuild.

It’s not that Stafford isn’t worth the trade, it just doesn’t make sense for the Jags.

6 Likes

Why? Because you overvalue Stafford to an extreme? They’d leave themselves nothing to build with this year draft wise. Never gonna happen.

You don’t give up just one draft choice for as good of QB asStafford is, this isn’t fantasy football, jeesh. The Lions would need multiple high picks

2 Likes

No one is giving up the top of their entire draft. No 2 overall plus 4 more picks in the top 66.

1 Like

The ravens got a 4th round pick for Joe Flacco. I would expect the Lions to get the same for Stafford. Absolute best case scenario a 3rd round pick to a desperate team who you could “fleece”. I could even see a 5th round pick just because…we are the Lions and Stafford is beat up and we will take anything if/when we draft a QB.

I could see anywhere in that 3rd to 5th round range.

Agreed! If you’re the Jags, why trade the #2 overall pick for a oft-injured 32 year old QB unless that was all that you needed to start making playoff runs…the Jags are not.
The Jags can get Fields and build around him.

1 Like

Well that’s what it would take if I was in charge. This franchise went 60 years without a good one,

Oft injured, what are you talking about? At one point he played almost 200 games without missing a down.

1 Like

I didn’t say he missed a lot of games, he’s just always injured. Hand, thumb, back, etc. He plays through the injuries but it always seems to be the excuse for him not playing well or taking the team further.

I think the Jags could make a playoff run with a very good offseason. They have the cap space and draft capital besides 2 overall to really strengthen their team.

I don’t think there’s a politicians chance in heaven this could happen, BUT…
Flipping an overall number 1 pick, after 12 productive seasons for a number 2 overall pick, is about as efficient as it gets. I’d do it in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I’m a Stafford fan and I’d make this trade for multiple reasons. Here are the biggest two reasons.

1. I think Staffords days in DET are numbered and I think he’s tired of losing. He needs, deserves and probably wants a fresh start.

2. The Lions are a long way from being a contender. They have aging vets at skill positions and likely need to overhaul their entire WR group plus their defense. They need to get younger across the board.

With that said it’s not going to happen. No way Jax makes this trade.

1 Like

Hold up, there’s people saying no to this? Insanity.

Look, I like Stafford and all but he’s a soon to be 33 year old QB with heavy miles on his body and two years left on his deal. His value is probably at a late 1st at the absolute most. There’s no way in blue hell that the Jags even remotely entertain #2 overall for Stafford. Come on now

Maybe they could deal him to New Orleans or Pittsburgh for their 1st after the season if they are intent on drafting a QB. That’s probably the high end of what Stafford could return.

May be we can get an first additional pick claiming Pfizer is in Michigan , then Stafford in mix to make other team convince your logic