Stay or Go

This is what Dave Birkett wrote up about Romeo’s contract. It is the same information that www.overthecap.com (IMO, they have better info than Spotrac). Never heard of club options in NFL. Every contract is a club option, after guaranteed money paid, you either pay what the contract calls for or you cut them (club option).

So I guess we need to commit $11/12m per year to Okwara then. I think we need to keep him especially given our hopes for his brother.

1 Like

He’s very tradeable. I can see it going either way, either they keep and extend him or the trade him, it’s up to the new GM.

1 Like

I now see the note on Sportrac in the Contract notes section.

There are decisions to be made at position groups like Coleman vs Trufant staying and Shelton vs Williams. James is toast, Daniels may be a luxury, Jones is a $2m net for a luxury I’d rather spend on Ragland coming back…

It’s clear they will make some cuts or maybe trades if guys have value and pick up 3rd-5th rounders and try and add bodies that also don’t have exposure to the witches brew of chemistry fail that was here. My quick look is that they will drop around $10-15M of cap space net after these kinds of cuts/trades above.

That’s enough, with maybe a few mid round picks, to give the new GM some wiggle room on moves that set the new base. They are going to have to do it and flush a lot of the bad juju out of that locker room.

1 Like

The harder I look at that multi year cap chart on Spotrac, the more I want to kick Smaaht Guy in the nards.

We are losing a lot of price to value positive players and have a long list of price to value negative guys we need to cut and add dead cap just to try and bring back some of those legit guys.

I mean, at least the $20M in coming dead cap space in 2021 will be for assbags who suck, generally. The $20M in dead cap in 2020 was from cutting actual excellent performers.

That Smaaht guy was such a huge fail. Fail Fail Fail.

F that guy, Hope he is washing practice balls at Jackhole State next year.

2 Likes

I agree with almost everyone here. Release everyone not on there 1st or 2nd contract that they don’t want long term. Eat the cap hits and roll with a bunch if rookies and other young guys, stockpile draft picks for 2022.
We could even offer to release guys now if they want to go.

Nobody’s gonna do this

Just sorted by dead cap hit, man next year might not be too good… we will be stuck with flowers, Collins, Vaitai, probably Coleman and trufant for one more year. Not to mention Stafford (not that I am opposed to keeping Stafford was speaking strictly to cap hit).

Not that that’s necessarily an awful thing, but, those are some big dead cap numbers… that being said, whoever the next coach/GM is/are, I just want them to make use of what we have and put our guys in the best position to succeed and play well! I think everyone thought that’s what we were getting in MP and instead of molding the team around the players he kicked out decent/good players who didn’t agree with him.

Whoever it is, please just make use of what we have so it’s not so painful…

Also too, 2022 looks a lot better dead cap wise. So whoever comes in, 3 years!!! You can totally turn over this roster in 2-3 years so there better be some improvement darn it!!! No more square pegs in round holes!!!

Ok that’s my rant for the day

1 Like

Lol the vitriol in this one made me laugh…

Sorry if I’m repeating some things already said… it’s been information overload since yesterday for me!!!

I think, honestly, it doesn’t look that terrible. And as far as bad juju in the locker room, could that be suddenly fixed with MP and BQ gone? I mean if the lions hire a good group of people, and then next year is able to bring them together and use what they have to the best of their ability, I feel like locker room culture can change pretty quick.

I don’t think the lions had a bad culture with Schwartz, and definitely had a very good one under Caldwell… I think that can be fixed with the right group of front office/coaching personnel relatively quickly.

Players want to play for winners but the chiefs and ravens and Steelers only have so many roster spots. Seeing potential in a struggling franchise can be attractive to some players I think… being apart of what makes them great as opposed to being another cog in a well-oiled wheel.

All hope is not lost but… after next year I can see the roster purge really happening

Ok let’s look at it by position in 2021

QB:

Stafford/Daniel

Both would be back only way 1 is gone is if we draft qb 1st ed we could cut Daniel for a 2 mil savings or trade Stafford for a 10 mil savings and have Daniel/Rookie QB and maybe Blough as our QB room.

RB:

Swift/Johnson

I expect both back. Kerryon could be cut if we need the cap and replace him with some cheap backups to Swift(udfa/late rd picks)

WR:

Cephus/Allison

Cephus will be back. Allison might be back to but could be a cut if needed but we definitley have to sign some fa here even if it is our own

O line

Decker/jackson/ragnow/vaitai/dahl/crosby/Steinberg

I expect them all to be back maybe except for Dahl who could possibly be a cap casualty which would save us just under 3 million.

TE

Hock/James/Bryant

Cutting James would be a 2.1 mil savings so he could be a possibility or he stays as a overpriced te2 for a year and then he is about a 4.5 mil savings.

D Line:

Shelton/Williams/Flowers/Hand/J Okwara/Bryant/Penisini/Cornell/Atkins

Flowers has a big cap hit but he is staying at least for 1 more year. Shelton and William’s I think will be cap casualties.

LB:

Collins/Jones/Tavai

Collins like Flowers stays for another year due to cap hit. Jones most likely is a cap casualty. Tavai becomes a special teamer or we cut him for a small savings.

Secondary:

Coleman/Trufant/Okudah/AO/Walker/Harris/Moore

I believe Trufant will be cut saving us 6 mil. Coleman I think makes it but could be a cap casulty as well for another 6 mil savings.

We have ways to create cap room if needed

Someday the Snarky Anger scale will be named after me. Or Websters will validate my coining of a new word for the English Language-

Snarckasm.

Life Goals.

2 Likes