Steelers WR James Washington requests trade

I’ve got to be honest–this guy is intriguing and I really think he could help this WR corps in Detroit.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem like he’s much in their plans anyways.
Throw them a 4th round pick and see what he’s got.

This is a move I am very intrigued by. 5’11", 215ish pounds, 25 with an April Bday, last year of his contract , missed three years in his 3 nfl seasons and he just isn’t getting the looks/targets he needs to be viable for another team to sign him to a decent contract in 2022. I can see why he is pissed. 174 targets in 3 seasons with a QB who is breaking down. That is an average of 58 targets/season. As a comparison in 2017 Golden Tate had 120 targets and Marvin Jones had 107 in that season alone.

58 targets a season just isn’t enough fir a guy who likely is a viable #2 WR and maybe capable of much more than that.

I trust Brad Holmes will put a call in. If the price is right pull the trigger.

They will not get a fourth for him you over value other teams players maybe a 6th rd

Interesting fact.

James Washinton has 9 drops in past 2 seasons (32 games) on 174 targets.

Breshad Perriman has 3 drops in past 3 years (36 games) on 154 targets.

2 Likes

Yeah I would offer a 5th.

1 Like

Pepsi Commercial Oops GIF

That’s gonna be a no from me.

4 Likes

I actually coached against this kid in Texas his Senior year. He has outstanding character and would be a great locker room guy. He’s only 25 and I believe he just needs an opportunity. A 5th rounder makes sense to me. Plus the WR room in Detroit isn’t exactly loaded.

5 Likes

Hahaha, very creative name!
Well done.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by this as well.

Washington was an Uber prolific WR in college with 19.8 yards per catch and 39 TDs.

Would take him in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Washington would be a one year rental unless you see him as a building block of the future. For now he seems like a whiny malcontent with turd qualities who cloned his hands from Pettigrew.

I’d rather leave that fifth round pick in Brad‘s hands.

I don’t get it? Those drop and target numbers actually encompass all 3 of his seasons, and still doesn’t tell the story.

So over the last 2 years he has 7 drops while amassing 74 catches for 1127 yards and 8 tds off 136 targets.

Fellow Steeler D Johnson dropped 16 passes on 144 targets that equated to 88 catches for 923 yards and 7 tds last year.

Early 1st rounder Jerry Jeudy had 14 drops on 115 targets for 52 catches- 856- and 3 tds

Marquise Brown and Cedee Lamb had 9 each with under 110 targets each

I think he’s shown talent, big play ability, physicality, and he was dominant in college.

Why the Steelers chose to let D Johnson drop 14 balls w/in 5 yards of the line of scrimmage is beyond me. Targets and drops vs catches and yards were awful when forcing to Johnson.

I’d trade a 5th no doubt.

2 Likes

I posted the drop numbers for Washington compared to Perriman for only 1 reason.

There seems to be a concern with some people that Perriman has a problem with drops… yet look how many people would be happy to add Washington with no concern about his drops.

The biggest issue I would have in trading for Washington is that he is a free agent after this season. He has not shown the ability to be worthy of a franchise tag at all so far… so if he does play fairly well in 2021, a team has to make a tough decision about how much to pay him moving forward. IMO… that makes me pause when thinking about giving up a pick to get a 1yr rental.

3 Likes

I think we get a comp pick in the 5th, is that right? I would absolutely do that, otherwise the 6th is a no brainer too. Kick the tires, it simply doesn’t cost much to pull the trigger here.

1 Like

Can you trade comp picks before they’re officially awarded before the draft?

Don’t know if you are serious, but no. You cannot trade what you don’t have and we don’t have any comp picks right now. Playing time over the course of the year influences the pick, so if Golladay pulls a Golladay then we may not get even get a 4th.

I really didn’t think so, but @1CasanovaJack was talking like he was planning on offering our comp 5th before we actually got awarded it.