Sun Ra

Oh man Coltrane changes… still trying to wrap my head around that… once you have a good understanding of modes and harmonic minor, melodic minor, how to construct chords within them, you definitely gain a freedom to do whatever because you can hear how things can work together… but the Coltrane modes… man it makes sense in theory, but how he used it is just so incredible… and also to even recognize those relationships between keys… Coltrane man… just Coltrane

They opened a star gate or a black hole or antigravity or something

2 Likes

Totally gonna check this out, thank you! What an awesome recommendation… does it tie into Tesla I wonder???

Dude thank you again… can’t wait to read this

Not sun ra but an awesome artist in his own right

And a really good cover

Ummmm, so…it was a boring day on surveillance yesterday…annnd…well,

It took me about 15 minutes to realize I was singing South Park songs…like Kyle’s Mom, Everything is Super When Youre Gay (which are very profane and Not Classy) and a couple others…but not to their SP melodies, but to Coltrane’s Circle of 5th’s changes from Giant Steps…which is very classy and intellectual…well at least for me it is.

I’m pretty sure I should donate my brain to science, yknow, but after the cryogenics team has uploaded my consciousness from my thawed melon into a cyborg.

Breaking Bad Aaron GIF

Oh yeah, SP lyrics to Coltrane alchemy, right…

Wtf is wrong with me?

Possibly nothing…but not likely

3 Likes

I presume that you’ve heard Gonzales’ cover of the The Knife’s song “Heartbeats”?

1 Like

Jazz isn’t dead, it just smells that way. - Frank Zappa

2 Likes

I have not but will listen today!

Hahaha that is awesome. South Park has so many good songs… one of my favorites was the cigarette song they did. South Park set to Coltrane? Beautiful!

1 Like

Well hot dog… I listened to the original first, I’d heard of The Knife but didn’t know anything by them… loved the original song and was curious as to how José was gonna do it… and it did not disappoint at all. Almost like a different song, or two parallel songs… where the original is great but the cover is equally great.

He definitely has his style and he is such a good guitar player. His fingerpicking makes it sound like two guitars are playing at once but it’s all just him… I have always been in awe of that and I practice it all the time to get to that level. It’s just so amazing.

Thank you for turning me onto a great song and also a new band I need to listen to more!

Now I just need @Weaselpuppy to help me further comprehend Coltrane changes :wink:

Here’s a really cool live version

If you get it then you don’t understand it.

2 Likes

Well now you are speaking the truth right there

I love this quote… thank you!

1 Like

I grew up playing saxophone. Coltrane was my favorite in High school

1 Like

Awesome! When you play the instrument you definitely get a different appreciation for the talent of the musicians. Just listening you might think “oh that’s cool” but then when you actually know or have a concept of what they have to do to pull it off, it goes to another level of appreciation

Kinda similar to football or any sport in a sense… we all yell at our tv when someone misses a block or misses a hole or something… or makes an amazing pass or catch… but when you think about what goes into a play or if we only knew what was really behind the plays, takes on a different meaning.

Just came in the mail today… I have two books I need to wrap up then getting into this… read the introduction I’m excited. Thank you for the recommendation!!