Supreme Court rules against NCAA in athlete-compensation case

The way I kinda see this, and I haven’t followed as closely and may be missing some of the nuances… but anyway, I see it like this, in the parlance of our times:

I got a scholarship from a university to go to nursing school, in the meantime I become a YouTube influencer and make money off videos I post maybe or maybe not in relation to my degree or just selling some product.

Would I lose my scholarship because of an outside “job” I had? In relation to student athletes, if I can make money signing or promoting products (i.e. Nike, Reebok, whatever) and I’m doing this on my own time outside of the team, but maybe also still mentioning I am apart of the team, how are these two things very different? I don’t think they are.

Yes, the “superstars” are going to get the most. The rest of the players though should also have the freedom to pursue different avenues of revenue, and especially today options are more open than ever! So the FB from Nebraska does a couple commercial plugs for a local restaurant and gets paid, why not?

Just my opinion, and I am biased because I think the NCAA is a bunch of scoundrels in the end. And I may be missing the bigger picture too so tell me I’m missing the point if I am!

But I think this is overall a good thing, it will be interesting to see where it goes, but to me this is just an evolution of college athletics and players finally getting a window to getting some compensation for the insane amounts of money they contribute to earning for insanely rich universities

1 Like

College Football is wildly popular and generates a metric shit ton of TV revenue and packed stadiums. College Basketball is probably up there too with more games, but I’d say a lot more people tune in for Saturday ho hum football games, where College B-Ball doesn’t get super hot till March Madness. I do agree on why no developmental league. Probably has to do with how much more punishment a football player racks up than someone playing AA Baseball. I just think the problem is going to be the division it’s going to cause. Right now the Captain of the Men’s Football team and the Captain of the Girl’s Lacrosse team both get full ride scholarships. When one starts to get that, plus is driving a Benz… well… the Title IX Lawyers are going to be busy.

Oh hey… can the Fab Five get their W’s back now?

Baseball players have an option and Avenue of going pro at 18 , along with college options.
The college game serves as de facto minor league and NFL showing no interest in developing their own talent ( likely at expense of nfl fan experience ).
This protects interest of college game that was more popular and the nfl self interest.

Some universities have prime medical schools That bring in tons of money and offers scholarships.

To me it’s a bad look to be so harsh on the talent while exploiting it for every dollar

It was a trip to think these football coaches are the highest paid public state employees in too many states.

Yeah, but that’s a totally different deal IMO. Nobody is tuning in for 8 hours on a Saturday to watch a guy read and slice up a pig fetus. Well… not en masse anyway, it’s a crazy freaking world lol…

The NFL actually wants a developmental league and have dabbled in it for decades. They just can’t find something that makes sense and will stick. The last startup developmental league had full NFL support, including instant airtime on NFL Network and thru NFL.com.

I am going to have to read the opinion in detail, but I actually think they CAN come together and decide not to give direct cash payments to players. They are not naturally “employees” of the university anymore than the guy on the chess team is automatically an employee or that the junior high football player is naturally an employee of his junior high school.

I think where the NCAA’s case falls apart is disallowing any form of compensation to players beyond what they have specifically agreed upon with eachother to provide. As was eluded to earlier if a student from the science department could make some money in other ways…they would be allowed to. Its not fair to the student athlete to punish them for being a student athlete. I will never forget being at McDonald’s at 1am at MSU. There were 2 well known Spartan football players right in front of us in line. We offered to buy their meal for them. They smiled and said they think that would be an NCAA violation, so just to be safe they’ve got it.

I think that is something everyone will agree on.

1 Like

College athletes are “interns”, not “employees”. Once you start thinking of them that way, our current system makes much more sense.

The best “interns” want to go to the biggest and most prestigious companies because they want to make it to the big time. The biggest best firms offer their limited internships to the best interns they can attract.

Paying college athletes is the slippery slope. It will hurt the majority of players by tearing down the current balance that benefits everyone, the players, the fans, colleges and NFL.

Ok, for arguments sake, let’s take Oregon for example. Every university has donors that contribute to athletic programs. Some more than others, but they all have 'em. So, let’s take Oregon and Phil Knight, as I am sure that is an example we are all familiar with. Instead of flat giving cash to players, they are given paid internships with Nike. What are they paid? What are there responsibilities as an intern? Are those things governed and regulated? If a posh, do nothing but sit in on design meetings every now and then at Nike pays a player $10,000 a month, which as I understand it is now allowed, isn’t that basically the same thing as handing them cash?

1 Like

What you are describing is exactly how it works in politics. There is an agreement that you can’t give the politician money directly. So their family members get do nothing positions on the board of companies, and they get paid for speeches and writing books (the books are bought by people with an interest in the politician).

1 Like

FWIW you are talking about NIL which is not what this ruling was about. This has more to do with the University paying them.

I actually liked NFLE except for the insufferable fans with their noise makers. The thing I don’t get is how much money do the Toledo Mudhens really bring in? I know the players don’t get paid that much and I have no idea if the MLB offsets the league beyond paying for the players. But that would maybe be a start.

Picture this… The Lions have “rights” to players they draft in rounds 8-17 and they play for the Grand Rapids Smoke Stacks that all have their team filled with NFC North teams equally. Each NFC North team gets the same allotment of players to develop with the Stacks. Then GR would get X amount of roster spot players of the UDFA/ NFL Street FA’s to fill out their rosters in case the NFC North teams stick them with 6 RB’s and 1 TE. Maybe then the teams wouldn’t have to survive based on TV interest. They could just be on a budget just like all the other minor league options where few have hard core interest in. Just spitballin.

The NFLPA agreed to a rookie cap because it puts more money into the pockets of the veteran players.

The vets don’t give a chit how much money Lawrence made for Clemson. They want their money that they earned by being in the NFL.

I always wondered who bought those books haha!

Yes, I see your point. I just want as many things in this world as possible NOT to be like politics, especially college football, which I have been favoring more than the NFL in recent years.

It’s not fair what the NCAA has done to the kids. They’re basically their pimps for 2 to 4 years. I believe compensation is justified, but it has to be a level playing field.

1 Like

Yep, the book thing is part of the scam. The former mayor of Baltimore took it a little too far and she’s in hot water over what she did. But I also have to bring back up the speech thing. If you look up a list of how much money people get paid for speeches, you’ll notice something startling. For whatever reason politicians get ALOT more money to make speeches than anyone else. By a country mile.

I think those sorts of things are going on now with college sports but they just aren’t as brazen about it. But if the rulings keep going in the direction they are going now, you are going to see athletes able to make money on the side. That’s when things are going to get interesting.

It will be interesting to see what everyone’s interpretation of a “level playing field” is and how it will work out competition wise. Right now the version of a “level playing field” that we have is if Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State comes knocking for the best player in the country…other schools pretty much can’t compete with the fact that those schools are who they are. If you are Indiana you can’t offer anything more. But what if you could? What if Indiana really wants a particular kid that would normally choose one of those other schools (and sit on their bench) but Indiana can suddenly offer the kid something of value above what those schools are offering?

Years ago the biggest fear of paying players was that it would mean that a few top schools would just buy up all the top players and win all the championships. The ironic part is that by not being able to pay players, that’s exactly what has happened.

2 Likes

So that’s how I understood the new agreement, giving them money based on educational resources.

So they are gonna get a sweet IMac, incentives to take class trips that are paid for… a nice dorm room, basically anything that can be written off as an “educational expense.”

This is basically nothing new from what has already been happening, it’s just making it ok to happen. And why shouldn’t players be compensated for what they bring to the university? Yes it changes the whole perspective of college athlete vs hiring an employee, but isn’t that basically what they have been doing for years under a different guise?

That’s what it is on the surface. How it is manipulated and what it becomes are going to be the interesting part. I’ll leave it at this: this is just the first rain drop of a flood. This will absolutely change college sports forever. It is going to be fun to see what it becomes.

1 Like

I just mean money. I don’t know how much
But some universities have leading medical schools
Become feeders for pharmaceutical science
Nuclear energy
Etc

This is all part of the conundrum.

If Lawrence wasn’t getting paid or had good insurance
Why would he risk playing a game for free that he could earn $500,000 for each game ?

The incoming rookies didn’t vote
Last cba vote was close

The nfl self protects with short term interest of players but there were notable vets stars who warmed it was a bad deal so who knows where it’ll go next

But as the second contract gets bigger
It makes the first contract problematic
Golladsy a perfect example of how he could’ve been screwed asked to play for a losing coach in a bad situation at pennies on his worth. … it just seems a lot to risk.

Mahommes another good example. After he dislocated his knee… if I’m
Him … pay me my worth now. You know who I am and whst im actually worth ( Mahommes to owner )

@Michael @wesleysh21

Whst if

The ncaa shifts to a pro league model and takes on the nfl ? Just pay the plsyers manage the budget
Keep it totally separate from school and classes

Outside of name affiliation

All the extra lesser plsyers can play the amateur version with local opponents

When I first read the news this morning, that’s actually where I pictured this trending. I’m speaking only on college football here.

Here’s why I can see that: You are going to have 10-15 tier one teams (the same teams that are frequently in the top 25 year after year). You are going to have tier two teams (Boise State, Cal, Rutgers, etc.) No offense to fans of any of those teams. Then the tier three and four teams that will remain unmentioned. I think we’re all kinda tired of Alabama beating Akron 63-3 every other week. It’s been like that for a few decades now, and it’s tired. So, if the NCAA wants to capitalize weekly via TV and more than likely streaming contracts, the logical business move is to play the best against the best almost every week of the season. The tier one teams play each other nearly every week of the season. The top tier two teams are gifted intermingled games against tier one teams to keep the fan bases invested.

I mean, I would subscribe to a channel where every Saturday it’s Clemson vs LSU, Alabama vs USC, Michigan vs Oregon, Norte Dame vs Oklahoma, Georgia vs Penn State. Could you imagine Saturday after Saturday of those games? In my opinion, it would make the game on the field so much more balanced, and eventually fans of tier two and three teams would be just as satisfied with their tier’s respective championship as they would be with the crystal football.

1 Like