Surprised

That Logan Stenberg hasn’t been cut, little less surprised that Cabinda hasn’t been cut. Surprised that Evan Brown, to my knowledge, hasn’t generated any apparent interest.

1 Like

What would be the purpose of this cut?

4 Likes

I think we will see some cuts and or restructures. We will sign more free agents and we will have to create room.

What would be the purpose of him holding a roster spot? After 3 seasons what exactly has he done to deserve a spot? Saves $1 million, Cabinda saves $2 million.

1 Like

I was always shocked at what people thought Evan Brown was gonna get in FA. One of the websites had him at 10m a year. I can see low end starter money for him because his flexibility is desirable. The “problem” is how do you pay a premium for a guy who’s average at a couple spots? We’ll see what he gets but at this point it may be a lot less than what we anticipated

4 Likes

I think he could start at center for several teams, but I also think this is a good draft for centers. Don’t really care for him at backup OG unless it’s a few snaps here and there.

1 Like
  1. We don’t really “save” money because the cost of replacement will be at or above his salary level.
  2. We have tons of roster spots available right now, which is why teams carry a bunch of guys making low level salaries until they are forced to trim down later in the process. There is no harm in holding onto him, just like there is no real gain for cutting him right now.
7 Likes

So if he doesn’t ever play it doesn’t matter because you saved money?

Cabinda was a Holmes re-up. I would be quite surprised if we just cut him. Peabody is right about Stenberg. You’re going to have to pay someone to occupy the spot. We have somewhere around 63 players on a roster where another 27 will be added. No need to cut him.

7 Likes

Stenberg isn’t getting cut any time soon. Maybe after training camp
Cabinda probably makes the 53man.

3 Likes

Yeah is there really any benefit to cutting Cabinda? Probably a minimal salary cap benefit for a position we’d probably just replace anyways

This is my point - he’s a bit of a tweener right now. Don’t think he gets paid a ton.

1 Like

Stenberg actually played 20% of snaps on offense last year, which surprises me. As has been mentioned, cutting him and replacing him with a vet min guy saves less than $100k on the cap. He’ll be here until September at least.

Who says he is average at center? He is NFL Starter quality at Center. FA is a long period…FA for OL is not as quick as other positions of need. He is going to be elsewhere…the lions do not expect him back…their offseason indicates they don’t expect him back…

2 Likes

Stenberg is eh, but he is a body and until you have a body to replace him, he is on the roster.

2 Likes

Stenberg is the last guy from Huntsville still on our roster after we had 4 on the 2020 team. He can stay.

1 Like

Can you take his spot?

1 Like

Can I or would I?

I totally would but I probably couldn’t.

Yea, he’s a decent run blocker, just can’t pass block at all. Hard to survive in the nfl if you can only do one thing. He will at least be at camp fighting for a spot. I could see him ending up on the practice squad.

Paying full price for Vaitai and Okwara would be a bad move.

Stenberg is not making the team. At the end of the season we were bringing people off of the street to play infront of him. If the Lions sign a couple of free agent o-linemen he is gone.

Cabinda contributes nothing and that $2 million savings can go towards a free agent.

I’m expecting more moves to be made. We are only in phase one of free agency.