Swift struggling with groin injury. DC concerned about week one availability

Hope he’s ready on September 12, but if not, Jermar Jefferson will show the other 31 teams the error in their drafts. I hope, I hope…

2 Likes

Ive always questioned the way a lot of teams evaluate rbs ability to stay healthy, including the lions. Lots of teams / the media claimed Jonathan Taylor had too many carries in college and it added too much wear and tear. And Swift being in timeshares and in and out when he had a nagging injury was preserving his future. I view it as the opposite. Taylor proved his body is great at taking a beating and still being effective. With swift we had no idea if he could be a bellcow or not. It’s looking like he just can’t be.

4 Likes

A lot of groin issues. Seems like the players are currently taking the worst from the timeless tradition of Rashambo between the Lions and their fans

1 Like

Probably ain’t drafting him in fantasy…

I’m going to draft JWill if he’s there late. I think he’s a great late round sleeper. Perhaps more so in that there aren’t Lions fans in my league.

Guys that cut as much as he does are bound to put strain there.

Those kinds of nagging injuries can take months to go away fully, especially if he continues to make significant cuts. He can probably play through it but it will catch up to him at some point.

You can talk to an ankle sprain but a groin won’t listen

1 Like

Our offense is in big trouble without Swift. Shut him down and let him heal properly, rushing him back will just keep him on/off injured all season.

1 Like

Holy smokes just saw this… this sucks for Etienne.

All I can say is damn you Kansas City

cdffd7b6-fb8b-4535-bb92-c5ea9f68cf29_200_10

1 Like

Swift looked like he had potential last year, but never quite blew me away. I was hoping to see what others see this year, but it looks like that may have to wait. I’m sooooo glad the Lions signed Jamal Williams.

1 Like

Yeah for sure.

Kevin Jones comes to mind…

Promising 1st round draft pick…injured his lisfranc…never returned to 100%.

Bummer. I was excited to see Etienne in the NFL. Thought he’d be good. This is not a good start to a career.

1 Like

Jaguars are this year’s worst team and the misguided belief in goldilocks magic only adds fuel to the latrine fire.

Lawrence is already getting roughed up and the big kids haven’t even come out for recess yet. Urban already looks over it and isn’t too egomaniacal to realize his sprint draw run and shoot schemes require weapons he doesn’t have. Drafting Etienne was even a failed conceit because not even halfway through camp Meyer was talking making a receiver out of him.
Jags do have the best land crab in the league in James Robinson but he always has to make his own yards.
Lawrence is too good to be a bust but the jags are years away from being good enough for him to succeed. And by then the Lustre will be dimmed, other players picked after him will ascend to greatness and Jags will be yet another team that wasted their #1 OA on a qb they couldn’t support.

3 Likes

We have spent a long time, media spend and lots counseling to get male groins to agree no means no.

We don’t need a Deshaun Watson here…hmmm…

1 Like

This team has to be cursed with 2nd round picks. Nothing else makes sense.

Maybe Sheila taking over rid the team of the curse.

is the writing on the wall for the end of Swift here?

I am not concerned about Swift

Perhaps Campbell’s comments were just to give the Lions’ second-year running back a kick in the pants—that would seem very Parcellsian—but Swift looked fast, he looked shifty, and he looked like he could spring a 40-yard play tomorrow if the team needed him out there. Obviously, the day after a full day of practice is more important than the day of when you’re returning from an injury, but I saw no cause for concern with Swift today.

Oh, he also made an impressive cut between Penei Sewell and Halapoulivaati Vaitai, then exploded through the hole for what would have likely been a 30-40 yard gain, if not a longer touchdown.

3 Likes

Agreed.
I remember Bill Polian mentioned that 1 factor in his decision to Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams was the workload each had in college. Edge had about 500 carries… Ricky was around 1000 carries.

Edge averaged 23 touches per game in the NFL (370 per year pace), and he hit the wall after 9 years as he turned 30yo.

Ricky Williams had 370+ touches in 3 straight seasons early in his career before he “retired” for a year.
He also rushed for over 1100 yards at age 32.
He had about 600 fewer total touches than Edge in NFL, but did average about 19 touches per game and played until age 34.

Emmitt, AP, LT, Thurman Thomas, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, OJ, Eddie George, Dickerson, Forte, Shaun Alexander, Thomas Jones, DeAngrlo Williams, and S-Jax all had 700 + touches in college, and then handled full time duties in their NFL careers.

Even smaller RBs like Warrick Dunn and Tiki Barber had 700+ touches in college and both had over 2700 NFL touches in 10+ seasons.

Barry would have certainly had more than his 546 offensive touches if he didn’t have Thurman Thomas as his OSU teammate. Barry did have 76 returns as well, so he had 622 college touches in 3 years… and 394 were in his junior year alone.

Derrick Henry also had a year with 400+ touches and over 600 total at Alabama, and shows no sign of slowing down.

1 Like