Swift to Rams trade suggestion

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/.amp/news/bold-trade-lions-could-make-with-rams

Quick: what would you throw out the window if this happened?

1 Like

Good god, we’d be boring to watch.
With the amount of winning the Rams will do, those pics are very bottom of he 2nd and 3rd (so almost 3rd and 4th) too. I think you keep Swift.

4 Likes

If it was a both a '22 Second and '23 second I’d think about it. I’m not super interested in his second contract. I mean I guess it depends on at what price. But if it’s Kamara money then I’m not really all that interested.

Weird, but the other day I was talking with someone about Stafford coming back around to the Lions at some point. Not sure I’d wish that upon him. The bird has been set free, he should soar. Soar high little bird, for you have your freedom, soar high and never have to come back.

Rams have been creating cap for some kind of move…

Are they really a RB away from a SB? Gurley getting hurt in 2018 really did a number mentally on McVay. Wouldn’t shock me if he wants another RB just to be sure

1 Like

I wanted Stafford to win a Super Bowl with the Rams and then come back to retire as a Lion. Same as I wanted for Verlander and the Tigers.

3 Likes

Give me their 2024 and 2025 first rounders and it’s a deal :smiley: 8 first round draft picks for the next 4 years will be nice.

1 Like

I’m confused how this team is supposed to rebuild by sending away their top offensive players.

10 Likes

I suppose the devil’s advocate is, we’re not going to be competitive until his deal is up, and he won’t be resigning. So get something now. Also, RB shelf life.
I’d have to be blown away by the offer. I say no.

4 Likes

The Lions have no untouchables. They do have several foundational pieces, Swift being one of them. It would take an overpay to pry him away, just like every other foundational piece. Not a slight overpay, but a pretty decent one. Not making a another hole for the sake of breaking close to even with beanz.

1 Like

Swift is known to be good in space, but he’s also known to not be very good between the tackles.

Who trades for that?

The articles say three picks in total.

From the article:
Lions general manager Brad Holmes could command the Rams’ 2022 second-round pick, along with a 2023 second-and-third-round pick.

2 Likes

Myself……

Seriously I get the Stafford trade. It’s what he wanted. But Swift is just the kind of guy we need to be building around. Get a true #1 we and just imagine how much better Swift is going to be…same with TJ.

3 Likes

Yep, imo Brad and company see the writing on the wall: by the time this is maybe ready to win in 2-3 years, their top palyers like Hock and Swift will be a drain on the cap…at this point, I’m okay with unloading as much as possible for more beans and financially. If Brad is good at his job, unloading guys now will actually help the team in the future. This team won’t be ready to seriously compete until at least 2024…it’s an absolute disaster. And tbh, Swift may beat up and broken down by that time…he’s a good RB, but a good GM can find RB’s.

1 Like

Idiotic.

We might as well throw in Ragnow for a 4th. Maybe float them Tracy Walker for a 6th.

Swift has shown the ability to play at a high level through injuries. That is not very common in todays NFL.

Nobody on this team is untouchable yes…but when you hit on a high 2nd round pick like him…you don’t turn around and get rid of him for anything less than that.

Just dumb.

4 Likes

The article suggests that we could get two 2nd’s and a 3rd. That’s not dumb. That’s a tough choice.
I don’t think the Rams would offer that though. I mean, Two firsts, Two seconds, Two Thirds and their starting QB for two Lions players? Are monkeys flying out of my butt?

2 Likes

why would we trade away a player that bust’s his ass for us and actually HAS become a quality RB and player for US !!??

I’d be totally against the move, I mean Swift actually allows us to run well…and has to be watched or he’s going to make you pay.

such RB’s are extremely rare in Detroit ! A trade would have to be “stellar” to even consider moving Swift.

3 Likes

Ah. Thanks. Misread it. I would do that. I’m not big on RBs and second contracts. Aside from Derek Henry there isn’t another one of those I’d be dying to have on the team at that pay rate.

1 Like

Trading Swift now would send the worst possible message to the locker room. It would mean that not only have the Lions given up on competing this year, but that they’ve basically written off next year as well. Swift is young and on a cheap contract. He has the all-purpose skill set that that forces defenses to respect the run and the pass whenever he is on the field. I wouldn’t trade him unless a team panics and offers far more than they reasonably should.

4 Likes