Take your stand on Ramsey

According to Ramsey, he has every intention of playing in 2020. The point he made was, the longer you make him play without a deal, the more money he’s going to ask for. And if he plays too long on the current deal, he’s simply going to go into free agency and cash in.

He’s got an excellent point. The Jags should have re-upped him before this season, like he wanted.

2 Likes

Now, Ramsey has the “flu or something or maybe it’s coming on”, and won’t be at practice this week.
Just no! To AB for my taste.

Trading for him only works if a long term extension is in place, otherwise no deal would be done. As far as compensation I don’t want to give up two 1st round picks and I’m confident no team will give them that. However I’d give a 1st, 2nd and a 2nd (2021). I’d add Melvin to the deal if they want a player.

I don’t see Ramsey like AB, I think that’s kind of silly to compare. He wants to get paid and he wants to win games. Do that and I don’t think he’s a problem for any team.

Lions are not one player away. At the cost of first round picks and a huge contract, its tripling down on idiocy.

Honestly what the Lions need are a couple more years of picks, where most of the picks hit. Especially OL.

1 Like

Hell no. I hate crazy.

I love sanity and a better d-line. Improve there first for now.

The problem, as I see it, is threefold.
1.) His current contract is through 2020.
2.) The price is two first round picks or, if you will, a permutation of the player/draft pick combos mentioned.
3.) He is jumping the first team which drafted him. What will he do here the first time someone pisses in his cheerios?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This will essentially be our FA splash for 2020, as it will cap is out after we pay a couple extensions. We have some contracts coming off, but not enough to go big beyond one guy like this.

Extension wise it’s really Slay, Glasscow and AShawn, assuming we let Decker walk and figure out LT in the draft.

If Slay’s hammy is bad, then you do it, but not 2 firsts. First and player or first and 3rd, even then…

I would rather see Quinn make a modest move for a RB. The Lions depth is non existent.

Not sure it’s the fault of the RBs. Nobody is running it well here, even KJ. The issue is run blocking. Do the tanking Dolphins have a RG or RT worth trading for? We have to run better than 1.6 ypc or whatever it is. There’s much more to offensive line than just sacks allowed.

It’s hard to run against a defense with 8 guys in the box. If Stafford sees that then he’s gotta check out of a running play and do a play-action fake and find a TE or Amendola or one of his WRs. Or his RB doing a wheel route out of the backfieId, especially if it’s Ty Jo back there. That guy can easily outrun an LB, even a Safety. I get that sometimes you gotta pound it in here to keep them honest, but it’s like hitting your head running into a brick wall; all you get is a headache and 2nd and 10. Or 12. If KeJo can’t run behind this OL then nobody else is going to either.

This team does not need another RB this year, they’ve just gotta take what the defense gives them. If they’re going to go with one deep Safety and 8 guys up front then throw the damn ball until they back out of it.

Nope on Ramsay. Khan has said he’s willing to make him the highest paid CB in the league. That’s the bar on his salary. If he was currently a productive member of the Lions I’d say he’s worth it. Do it.

But to give up loads of draft capital and make him the highest paid CB in the league, I pass.

Pay Slay and draft a talented corner in rounds 1 or 2 next year. We need another top WR, an OT (to replace at least one of our starting OTs, probably Wagner). All that can be had on the cheap in the draft. I’m much more confident in the Lions draft system that I have ever been and I don’t think we’re a SB contender in 2019 by adding Ramsay. Maybe next year if we play our cards right.

1 Like

An 8 man box does not “give” you passing plays. If it were that easy to throw against 8 man boxes, noone would run that defensive call because everybody would be audibling and shredding it. Do you HAVE to run the ball against an 8 man box? Yes, you do. You can not check out every time. How often you do it depends on the team and situation. But you are in for a long season if you simply check out of the run every single time they show an 8 man box…and you are going to be seeing a ton of it. But by mid season they’ll be bluffs and the guys will bail immediately, knowing you’ll always check out of it.

I say add quality players when the opportunity arises. You won’t know what you are until you make the move. Anyone who says they thought the 5-11 Bears with their rookie head coach was 1 player away from making a potential run is lying.

I think Ramsey is worth the draft capital if he’s willing to sign long term. That said, I am concerned by his attitude. Additionally, I think the Lions could build a more rounded team (better) by drafting well and paying their own. So in the end, I would not trade for Ramsey.

If adding a top DB was strengthening our weakest link at a position we would likely want to draft in the 1st round it would make more sense. I don’t see our secondary as the reason we are going to lose any games this year. Adding a WR who could actually beat coverage or a OT that could hold his own are bigger needs. If we could get Williams from Washington for Decker and a 2nd I am all for it.

Agree… to a degree. No way can they pay both Slay and what Ramsey will command. The dream of having them as a tandem is unrealistic, IMO. I think you only need one star CB and good depth. The Lions have that and can add to it next offseason cheaply.

I was surprised how good the Bears were last year, I thought they’d be better but not 12-4 better. However, Mack is more impactful than a shutdown corner. And if the Bears window on their cheap QB closes without a SB, they’ve gambled and lost. I like the direction the Lions have gone in with their D. It’s supposed to be a good draft for CBs next year.

The other gamble you take by giving up top picks for one player is injuries, either to the player you trade for or other key starters. Could be more holes by year’s end than there are right now. And now your cap is tight so you can’t add quality FAs. I realize draft picks are lottery tickets, but if your scouting department knows exactly what it’s looking for, and the Lions seem to be pretty good at it, I say keep your picks, lock up the guys you want to keep and keep drafting well.

1 Like

From what i understand is part of the problem is he is a man to man CB and Jacksonville is a zone defense. He would do well in Detroit. He also wants the big contract and the bigger market cities like L.A., Or Vegas. I don’t see him wanting to come here because it is Detroit.

I’m not exactly sure but i think he frustrated with how Jacksonville is using him and thats why he wants out, as well as the money… Could be the lions throw the right money at him and put him in a situation to succeed, and he likes it here. I for one would love to have him here. Would be the best CB duo in a pass happy league. Also if slay decides to test FA then we are still covered. Not for 2 firsts though.

Yes, we can pay them both. We literally have cash just sitting around right now being unused that is enough to pay Ramsey. Then we have $11M in dead cap money that’s coming off the books, and I don’t know anyone here that wouldn’t gladly move on from Rick Wagner and his $12M.

We don’t have to be scared to have too many talented players. “Mack is more impactful.” That’s an easy hindsight thing to say. But the reality is the Raiders stunk with him and they were regularly one of the bottom defenses in the league while he was there. The Bears acquired a talented player…and BOOM! Never be skerred to acquire top flight talent, that’s what I say.

1 Like