Targeting 2 players from picks 10-20

This might be the best value with a trade down, then up. Thoughts…someone is going to drop. I like Garrett Wilson WR and Jameson Williams WR a lot. Crazy to get both.

Two 1st round WRs does not strike me as a good use of draft resources

Pick one and get a defensive player.

6 Likes

I don’t think we’ll be able to trade down personally, but I could see us trading up even if we don’t. I wouldn’t personally love it, but I’m pretty sure Holmes will go after the guys he likes.

2 Likes

Agreed

If we traded down to the teens… give me Devin Lloyd @3rdRGR

Kid is a play making machine. 8 sacks, 4 ints, 2 TD’s, 100 tackles.

6 Likes

Wilson >> Williams

I love Lloyd. I love Wilson and Burks.

Get Lloyd and WR

2 Likes

If we didn’t take hutch and traded down, I wouldn’t mind the de from Florida state and Garrett wilson

1 Like

We could have worse plans.

2 Likes

Lloyd and burks would be a home run

3 Likes

WR is pretty deep. I think we need 2 ILB’s and 2 WR’s. I like that 1B and 2nd round pick for LB’s. This rarely gets Lloyd as it should, but you get a lot of Dean falling and then Harris being there in the second. Then you have to double up on the WR group and there is a lot with the two 3rd round picks we have. I’m really starting to like the kid from Cincy, Alec Pierce. I see a lot of what I see in Drake London in him at much lower cost. I like Watson. Pickens. Doubs. Tolbert. Robinson.

Of course I love some Garrett and London. But there are some really talented guys later on. If we could come out of the 3rd round with: Hutch/Dean/Harris/Robinson/Pierce in Honolulu Blue, I’d be stoked. That’s a lot of heavy lifting on offense and defense. Nab the best 3/5t and SS in FA, re-sign Walker/Harris/JRM/Reynolds. Dump Flowers. The rest of the draft to fill in.

1 Like

I a situation like that, I would still target a DE. Maybe Jermaine Johnson and Devin Lloyd, then select your WR (Pickens, Bell, Dotson, etc.) at 32 and Safety (Brisker, Cine) at 34

I would not trade up for a WR. I think the Lions can sit pat and see who falls to them and take a WR either at 32 or 34.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t either. But I think Holmes might, or a number of other positions.

I doubt he’d do it for a WR just based on how low he prioritized it last year.

But that begs the question. What position would he trade up for?

I think CB, DT and Edge for sure. Possibly even a LB or safety.

I think the way he prioritized receivers last year was based on his analysis of the class, he liked quite a few guys who were predicted to go in the mid-rounds and he was right. Bodes well for the future. But he’s on record as saying if Sewell wasn’t available, our next option was a receiver. I think it’s about value with him, which I also find encouraging.

For me the only WRs who would be worth trading up for are London and Wilson. I wouldn’t do it but those are my top two guys so I could live with it. I also don’t think it will happen because like last year, there are some likable mid-round WRs.

Otherwise I think it’s about the prospect, not so much the position. Like, if Booth, Stingley or Gardner starts to fall I could see us moving for them, despite CB not being recognized as one of our biggest needs (except by you and me). I personally don’t see a DT worth moving for, and I expect we’ll have already drafted an edge.

I think LB and S are lower value positions and I think Holmes sees them that way too, or at least the Rams did - they basically spent nothing on the positions. Holmes has proven adept at finding low round values at S and hopefully he’ll prove as good at finding linebackers. Anyway if I had to guess I’d be very surprised if we moved up for those positions.

For me, when I’m doing my mocks, the only time I ever trade up is if one of Stingley, Booth or Gardner starts to fall. I could see it for London or Wilson too, but wouldn’t do it myself. Otherwise I’m staying put.

1 Like

We’re seeing it pretty much the same way.

I like Burks too. To be honest there’s enough good WR’s that I just don’t see the need to move up for one.

I’m looking at pick 34 for a WR and we could land Dotson, Bell or Moore here. Speaking of which Jahan Dotson and Skyy Moore haven’t gotten much talk on the board. I like them both. We could also consider someone coming off injury too like Williams or Pickens.

I think DT is a need but I think it’s best addressed via FA. Like you I don’t see a DT I’d move up for and taking one in rounds 2 or later just adds another project type. We need a starter.

I agree that I think Holmes sees these as lower value positions that can be addressed later.

OLB/Edge is a different discussion. I believe he places a higher value there and that’s why I think we take Hutch or KT at 2OA.

SILB isn’t a position the Rams have placed much value in. I think that’s why Davis wasn’t retained. I’d love to have a stud here who can play sideline to sideline but I do not think Holmes places high value here.

WILB is often subbed out for a Nickel Back So there is no value in spending high picks here. This is why I think the Lions were willing to move on from Collins and why I think we will retain JRM and then look to add a back-up who’s capable of playing both ILB roles. Probably a low level free agent.

I think he puts a little more value in FS. The Rams have spent 2nd round picks on them in the past. Will we retain Walker? I think we probably will and if we do I don’t see us targeting a S before round 3. If we lose Walker to free agency then I think FS could come in play with the Rams pick or our 2nd rounder.

I tend to think that if Holmes does trade up in round one that it’s for a CB and it’s because we’re unsure about Okudah.

I’d be okay if they traded out of 32 to say 38, to pick up an extra 3 round pick.
If we don’t take Hutch or Thibodeaux 2ao, I’ll be pissed.

Yeah I think Burks maybe has the highest ceiling of all of them so I’d be OK with that one too, I guess. I just think he’s got the lowest floor as well. He’s got a ton of work to do as a route runner.

I’m not as high on Dotson but I really like Bell and especially Moore, and I also really like Christian Watson who I think will go early 2nd by draft day after he runs in the 4.3s (he ran 4.44 coming out of high school). Pickens is intriguing as well, pinpointing his draft spot is tricky right now. Testing will matter for him. A little later I’m also a really big fan of Shakir, Tolbert and Alec Pierce. I love Kyle Phillips too but since we already have St. Brown he’s lower on my list. It’s a really deep WR class, wouldn’t mind nabbing one with our 2nd and 3rd if we don’t add one in FA.

Yeah Walker’s fate matters a lot to our plans, as well as what else we do in FA. A lot of people have suggested re-signing Walker and signing Marcus Williams and I wouldn’t be shocked by that, given the relationship our staff should have with him. In that case I don’t think I’d draft a safety at all. If we opt for one or the other I think it needs to be addressed. Personally I don’t mind going safety anywhere outside of the top 10 - I think it’s an underrated position and its cost value is rising - I’m just not sure Holmes will see it the same way. We’ll see.

I’d love to add Jalen Pitre at any point and because he can do so much, he’d be a good addition no matter who we kept. He’s my #2 safety after Hamilton, though I admit he played more like a LB/slot corner hybrid in college. I thought he was fine when he dropped deep and certainly he has the athletic chops to play there, but certainly his strength is closer to the line (despite his 5011, 195 pound frame). Actually kind of reminds me of the Honey Badger, only more athletic.

I think we’re pretty much on the same page overall re: how the offseason will/should go. I’m sure we’ll differ plenty on player evaluation but that’s the way it goes, player evaluation is subjective as it gets.

1 Like

Quarterback.