FF
Tied-45th
INT
150+

Yeah… I get it.

You missed my point.

Drunk Beach GIF
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So what’s the point , he didn’t have 14 sacks.

These stats dont scream “#2 pick” or even “game changer at the NFL level.”

I’m not sure I can really buy into the whole “stats” angle here….

because I just checked again….

and Jaylon Ferguson is still not any good in the NFL…. and Clelin Ferrell hasn’t really helped this idea either.

I think they are very close, very close, but there’s multiple reasons I give the edge to JJ, and the majority of those reasons aren’t statistical, or even measurable for the most part, and has less to do with deficiencies with Hutch than with superlatives from JJ.

I look at the “Impact Zone”, I call it. Within two yards of the QB and closing. Some guys get into the Impact Zone and whiff alot, or they shoestring, or they latch on and body drag. Everyone does this to one degree or another. With JJ I see true desire to Explode into the QB, a true go-for-the-jugular predatory instinct missing from so many prospects. The kind of hits that leave QB’s with a deer in the headlights look.

Another thing is attitude and the way he carries himself. He constantly reminds himself he’s the best player on the field, his words, and I like that type of self-accountability, because its not arrogance. He worries about what’s between the lines.

He works constantly towards the perfection of his game. He carries himself with a maturity that translates.

Our defense has lacked a true leader for awhile, and this man looks like that part would come naturally. You watch the film, you listen to him, you’ll see it. He’s genuine, the real McCoy.

There’s a lot of fine players in this draft, but I’m convinced Jermaine Johnson is #1 as a complete package. There’s a case to be made for a lot of people in this draft, but this is just my opinion, I sprint his name to the podium at 2OA and don’t look back.

2 Likes

I know this is probably just a figure of speech, but please no more of this Lions. Listen to the trade offers and use all of the time, you have nothing to lose. . Running to the podium proves you’re the Lions.

Hey, just because it hasn’t worked for the last 65 years…ok, you have a point. Lol

1 Like

You picked outliers. There is a solid correlation here, and guys with pass rush stats like Johnson rarely make better pros than guys with pass rush stats like Thibodeaux. Johnson has huge bust potential at #2.

KT has 10 sacks and 21.5 TFLs in his past 17 games.

JJ-2 has 16.5 sacks and 22.5 TFLs in his past 19 games.

I haven’t looked that close at snap counts… but I will say there isn’t a glaring deficiency for either player. Stats are just 1 of many factors…

I have no qualms about taking JJ at 2OA in large part because of my fears that KT won’t be a culture fit and that Walker hasn’t showed enough instincts to me within his restrained role in Georgia’s defense.

But I’m gonna be looking back, and I’m damn sure other people will remind me anytime JJ makes a misstep. That’s what we do in The Den.

1 Like

https://theosceola.com/johnson-impresses-on-field-and-in-interviews-at-nfl-combine/

I highly recommend this, there’s a link within that lets you watch and listen to the full presser, and his most impressive answer might have been at the end in discussing how Florida State is changing their culture. Sounds eerily familiar to what we’ve been hearing.

The whole thing is quite impressive and gives you a great sense of how well grounded JJ is.

Pass rushing isn’t just sacks/TFL. It’s about winning your battles and pressuring the opposing QB. Thibodeaux outshines JJ in that area and it isn’t close. That’s what the chart I posted shows.

1 Like

yeah… I know the backstory on those numbers.

But… I struggle to question the ability of a guy who has made 39 tackles behind the LOS in his past 19 games… particularly when he only got 189 snaps in the 7 gamed he played in 2020.

Think about that for a second……

JJ-2 made 10 stops behind the LOS in 189 snaps in 2020… against SEC competition.

Not pressures…… but actual tackles.

For perspective… Hutch had 30.5 stops behind the LOS in 2021… in 710 snaps.

That is a pretty comparable ratio….
and Hutch didn’t have to race 8+ draftable teammates to the ball to get the tackle!

Does it matter?

That was the point I brought up originally…
and remains the same.

10 sacks.
11.5 sacks
12 sacks
14 sacks

They all indicate a guy can rush the passer.

Then it comes down to the tape, the character, etc.

College stats are just a starting point…… so nobody cares if the number of sacks is off by a few.

Hello TCLion.

Im only gonna expand my thoughts on players i feel comfortable talking about.

Jermaine Johnson: Dont feel he is close to the 2nd pick.

Christain Watson: im scared to tell you what i think of him. I dont want the hype strong. This is who i want…I feel he is more fluid and agile than Drake London. Not to say I dont like London. But Watson has more agility and will create more after the catch.

Noah ellis: id draft him late as a plugger. Former Lions son. Strong. It isnt high risk at all. Also…be nice to see big Luther back around. He is not some bust late rounde i can tell you that. He will make am impact. Lets hope we get him later to keep our culture and team going in the right direction

1 Like

I am not sure I would Take JJ but he IMO is in top 3 I like Walker then Hutch We need a Edge an I just hope its one of the 3 .

KT is like 6th on my list he is a Media guy based on not his play.

1 Like