TDN: Vikings had the worst draft in the NFC North

Our “up front first” approach is my preference. It’s true that time will tell, but our OL is gonna turn those DBs into guys that are chasing our RBs around…(My hope, anyway).

Jamo will run past Booth just like he did to his Clemson teammate…

Go to the 1:46 mark…

1 Like

To an extent.

If they had made these trades before the draft began, sure. Then we can squabble over points. But that isn’t what happened — my bigger point being that Detroit and Green Bay had identified particular players (not a board of rankings, but actual players) that they deemed inescapably franchise-changing, or at the least, game-changers.

I get that we need to see how this plays out. No doubt about it. But the risk for Minnesota isn’t that they’re simply on the losing end of a bad trade; the risk is that they’ve ALSO set themselves up for divisional futility after intentionally allowing teams they play 2x a year EVERY YEAR to get what they wanted.

Like I said, they’re betting that they’re smarter on virtually every level than Green Bay and Detroit. Viking fans can chest thump all they want over that kind of bravado, but another name for it is career suicide.

4 Likes

The crazy thing to me… is that I also like Cine and Booth quite a bit…
but I still feel like the Vikings “lost” these trades in a huge way.

Chris Simms must think the Vikings are crazy…
his top 2 WRs in the entire draft were Williams and Watson.

One more consideration… is that I was surprised that Cine “slid” to #32… and also surprised that Booth was available at #42. If those guys gets picked before the Vikings grab them… I’d be curious to known what the backup plan would have been…

1 Like

Regardless of plan vs backup plan…Cine has proven that he can’t cover Jamo. So whether he was the plan or the backup plan…he has fallen short of what is required.

3 Likes

Yeah… and we also just witnessed an offseason where average WRs (Kirk) get paid more than All-Pro safeties (all of them)… so there’s that too.

1 Like

I am a firm believer in a concept that someone else pointed out. We are in an odd period where half of the league believes that receivers are plentiful and easily replaceable…while the other half thinks those same receivers are rare and worth a premium price. Very strange place in history.

2 Likes

Really good point, dude.

Dude’s gonna get hurt feelings several times/year. J-Will is gonna hurt his feelings, dude. LOL

And more than SB MVPs like Kupp… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Yeah I think the trade up wasn’t good value, but I don’t consider Cine and Booth bad picks at all. Hell I thought Cine was one of the guys we’d consider had we stayed put at 32 so can’t criticize the actual pick. Booth I thought was a great pick as well so again can’t criticize that one.

However I thought the rest of their draft was pretty meh after that. I liked the Chandler pick and I kind of liked the Nailor pick even if my view of him lowered near draft time. Was never high on Asamoah compared to some of the other LBs in the draft. Time will tell for sure, but I wasn’t overly impressed with their draft haul outside of Cine and Booth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.