The Athletic Mock 1.0

Paywall so summarized here-

Lions. Hutch and Treylon Burks with London, Olave and Williams off the board between 25 and 29.

QBs available at 33-Liberty and Ridder. Safeties all but Hamilton.

Hamilton and Karlaftis to Philly 8 and 9

Pickett Howell and Corrall off the board between 10 and 19

Ojabo Dean and Davis also go teens

1 Like

Hutch and Burks would be fantastic. Hutch and Lloyd would be just as good.

2 Likes

Jets
Jets
Giants
Giants
Eagles
Eagles

That’s hilarious for 4 through 9. I’m sure it will be re-shuffled by the end of the season, but how cool would that be to finish in the order?

2 Likes

As we sit here today, if we came away with Hutch, Burks, and Malik Willis without having to trade up I would be ecstatic. Malik Willis is a project, but with the O-Line and running game we have Willis would make us a top 3 rushing team, IMO.

1 Like

You stinking dirtballs have gotten to me.
I’m seeing the Rams pick at 23 in that mock and am starting to get a little greedy, hoping for their rough stretch to continue.

11 Likes

By the way, if it’s me, I’m taking Willis at 23. A WR is necessary, but I’m perfectly fine with picking one at 33.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I see a team in 24-32 w a QB need nor anyone trading down after Carolina WFT and Steelers grabbed their guys.

at 33 I think it’s just Houston jumping us that we’d have to think about

1 Like

Yeah. Perhaps my impression is wrong, but it sure seems like the bottom of the 1st is quite active for trades. If you like a QB enough to grab at 33, you darn sure shouldn’t pass on him at 23. Plus, you get them an extra year vs a 2nd round pick.

6 Likes

We don’t take a QB until we load the roster with talent, then if Goff is holding us back then we take one.

2 Likes

Is Strong there at 65?

Houston will have their QB before that. Once Watson is traded they will have a first rounder or two to use on a QB.

Also Philly has been rumored to be interested and they may flip Jalen Hurts to them with picks for Watson and that could take Houston out of the QB market as well. IMO Hurts has proven to be a middle of the pack starter with plenty of room to grow. With the right team around him I think he can be quite successful.

Taking the counterpoint.

You pass because you really like/love a different player there and there isn’t a comparable player you are choosing between (them and the qb) at 33. I’m not forcing a qb. I’m not overdrafting a qb.

I’m taking a qb if I think he’s good value at the spot I’m selecting and if I think I need one. That last part might be more important than some want to recognize. The staff may be content to see what happens with the current qb situation/room next year.

1 Like

Exactly.

I don’t mind if they take a QB because they really like him, but dammit don’t take one because you are “forced to”. I got in this debate on twitter. Its like…haven’t we learned anything…

1 Like

I’m also thinking this is the likely trajectory.

Legit vet backup in case Goff totally poops his pants, inject as much talent elsewhere as possible, and hope for the best. Worst case scenario is that the table is set for the new guy.

The level of QB were are discussing taking will be available no matter where the Lions pick in the 2023 draft. Either first round pick.

None of this years crop would break the top 5 from last year. We’re talking a guy currently projected to be available at 33 are not we?

I will fully give up the point, that the top QBs, even of this class will probably go a bit higher than projected, but top of this class is not well regarded. Not as the prior years for damn sure. Or year before that.

1 Like

Lloyd went sixth in this mock, by far the highest I’ve ever seen him go.

This is exactly right. Do NOT take a QB in this draft, 2023 will have way better options even if we wait. This draft blows, and to your point that they may go higher than projected I agree. I also think that IF Houston doesn’t get a QB in their trade for Watson, they may have to think about moving up. If we trade we still get Hutch or Thibodough, if Houston goes off the reservation and decides to go DE on a move up. Their first this year and a 2nd next year.

1 Like

If it was still Bill O’Brien, I think we might have a chance of Houston trading up. But now that they’re run by former Pats, I think they’re far more likely to trade down than up.

I don’t want to give away too much, but dang if DeMarvin Leal fell to our second 1st round pick, I’d have a hard time passing on him despite other needs. Also Traylon Burks going before Drake London and Chris Olave is something worth pondering.

If?

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

1 Like