The back-up QB battle: Boyle vs. Blough

That was totally over my head. Well played.

I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by Lil Jon

Chicks dig card tricks.

1 Like

Bea Arthur funniest Devil Dog ever!

1 Like

Try setting the bar a little lower - you could bone up on the Penisini threads or, shucks, even the Corn Elder threads.

season 1 flirting GIF by Good Girls Revolt

1 Like

what grades would you give our back-up QB’s if they aren’t B+/ B- QB’s , we SHOULD be looing for a replacement…

I’ll go Boyle. I don’t even know how they stack up talent wise. I just know watching Blough and his weak arm made my eyes bleed

I think, going into the season, you give them both firm question marks. You’re not getting any impressive body of work that suggests plus ability, or even competency.

If you have to give one an edge, Boyle has an absolute Howitzer attached to his right shoulder. He has more mystery around him than a KGB double agent though.

Through three years at UCONN, he threw 1 TD and 18 interceptions. No joke. But he had a new offense every year and the coaches were really in his corner.

Then he transfers to Eastern Kentucky, where he has 11 TD’S against 13 INT’s. Yet the head coach is in his corner, blaming personnel and a one dimensional game plan.

Somehow this translates to hanging around on the Packers depth chart for three years :thinking:. Somehow this translates to beating out a first round pick for the backup job. :thinking: Somehow that translates to no contract offer, despite being an exclusive rights free agent. :thinking:

Boyle is an enigma, but if arm strength gets you excited in ways you don’t like to admit, he’s the horse you want to ride. Blough’s a somewhat known commodity with a noodle arm, but if Goff were to go down in the preseason, he’s not the guy I’d want for the season.

If you’re looking for Kurt Warner potential, Rich Gannon, a late bloomer with a cannon, you want Boyle. That’s if he shows it. Hard to teach arm strength though.

1 Like

Boyle have ‘touch’ on the football? Stafford rarely used it…

1 Like

Aww hell now here we go again…

explosion GIF

2 Likes

Now, I know Blough does not have the strongest arm, but is it that bad where he couldn’t win some games for us put in a better situation?

I do remember that one time he threw a pretty good deep pass to golladay, so he can throw, but maybe our offensive system just didn’t do him any favors since it was all set up around Stafford? Would Lynn’s offense potentially be better suited for a QB like Blough?

1 Like

If Lynn runs his offense like he did in Buffalo, it’s ideally suited for a quarterback who’s main strengths are handing off, running for their life, and play action pass, but mainly handing off. :laughing::rofl::joy: Lynn, in both years as a coordinator there, called more rushing attempts than passes, statistically. Whether that was Tyrod Taylor making the call to run it on a pass play, who knows, but that’s what the stats say.

No QB on Detroits roster is going to strike fear as a runner, so 🤷. It’s going to be interesting to see.

1 Like

Its misleading because they had a running QB. Tyrod ran the ball 100 times per year which skews the attemps AND skews the rushing totals.

3 Likes

Exactly so, Wes. Exactly so.

1 Like

I guess I can see Blough being a game manager type QB, which would be suited to an offense that runs a lot but also when he has to pass he can make the necessary passes, but never going to win a shoot out. So a lifelong backup type guy who could step in and win a game or two with a good run offense and decent defense maybe.

I guess the good part about havinig Blough is noone is if you really want him as your backup…you can have him as your backup. No matter how he plays, noone is going to back the brinks truck up and try to make him their starter. So you will never have to worry about that awkward situation where you are offering backup money but competing against starter money for another team. He could throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs and he’s just one of those guys that noone will ever take seriously as a full time starter.

1 Like

Boyle will be #2 unless he plays his way off the team. If our offense is going to be run heavy with speed stretching the defense, then Boyle can step in without constricting the offensive game plan, while noodle-arm Blough can’t. So I say…

1 Like

OK, so I did a bit of digging and came across a very interesting article on Boyle. I was wondering how a guy like Boyle, who’s been #2 for two years, gets his walking papers on an exclusive rights tender. Thanks to the Covid Cap, the Packers had over 2 million reasons why to let him walk.

It’s also very interesting to note how he talks about being a backup in light of Rodgers MVP season and their relationship.

Folks, I think we have a real contender in the building and once more, I’m pretty darn impressed by this front office.

2 Likes

You know, I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner, but we should definitely keep Blough and make him a receiver. Proof right here: Can't-Miss Play: 'Dola' Dimes! Amendola wows on TD throw to Blough

1 Like

Guilty as charged…