The best player in this draft is

ikem ekwonu and I wouldn’t be opposed to taking him.

Decker
Jackson
Ragnew
Ekwonu
Sewell

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/mocks/nfl-draft-2022-nfl-mock-draft-new-names-rising

1 Like

The kid is a beast. Big V was very good last year as well. Draft Ickey and just beat the crap out of teams. I’ve seen worse ideas. We used a lot of 6 O-lineman sets last year, plus injuries always happen.

If Hutch is gone, it’s something to consider.

3 Likes

I’m honestly warming up to it. Boast a top 3 starting O-line with Big V and Brown offering legitimate depth.

It’s easy to underestimate how impactful a dominant line can be on the game. People often mention shelf life and risk-taking when talking about why RB’s and WR’s are less drafted in the top half of the first round. I hate to use the word replaceable, but when your O-line and offensive coaching staff are elite, you can plug in average skill players and they will produce. Don’t hear what I’m not saying. I’m certainly not advocating for average skilled position players or average QB play. But… you can… kinda… get away with it.

1 Like

What’s your plan for Halapoulivaati Vaitai?

@Sofatso cut him

I wouldn’t cut him at all. Big V gave up 0 sacks last year. Guaranteed we will have injuries. This makes a team strength even stronger. Not the worst idea if Hutch is gone.

1 Like

I’m sorry but… no. Just no. Can’t get on board. Burning 1st round picks for 4 out of 5 OL is just not smart use of draft resources.

9 Likes

Holmes talks about not passing on talent. From strictly a talent point of view, Ekwonu is the best player in the draft. Do you bypass talent and reach???

Most GMs would take him #1 especially since the QBs class isn’t that great.

2 Likes

I still think he might go #1 to be honest. Trying to build a wall for the golden boy Lawrence would be a good idea for the Jags.

2 Likes

I think so too but If jags take Hutch. You almost have to take Ekwonu. I think and most GMs would agree Ekwonu is the best player in this draft

1 Like

Or maybe you could trade down? If we could get another player as good as Sewell, be hard not to do it.

Sewell and Ekwonu would be the modern versus of Art Shell and Gene Upshaw

1 Like

Top 3? With Decker, Ragnow, and Sewell?
Easy #1.
Tell you what!
Goff is out of excuses if that happens.

A bit of homerism, I dig it. But easy #1? Cmon man. Cowboys, Bucs, 49ers, Rams… there’s some great offensive lines out there. I’m not willing to crown Detroit O-line as #1 when they have never even made PFF’s top 10. I think top 3-5 is conservatively accurate if they stay healthy.

God help me, I’m a Lions fan.
I hate to even admit it, but, haven’t been able to hide it. Like an eternal case of shingles.

2 Likes

I still don’t understand why the Jags wouldn’t take him. They have young DE already.

1 Like

As this analyst says. He needs time to develop the technique to play outside. He could replace decker when his contract is up. OR just replace big V. Would be really stiff competition though. He would have to start and what would we do at guard? Sit out pro bowler or sit the guy who didn’t allow any sacks?

I’d we draft him does Matt Nelson stop being our 6th OL/ heavy TE? Do we trade big v for a 6th? Is that worth the value.

I love what he says about him changing the character of everyone in the room. Sounds exactly like what Holmes and DC are looking for and found in Sewell. Imagine we had parsons last year and then got this guy.

11 Likes

Sounds like we’re drafting a RG at #2 overall. If you think this guy is Gene Upshaw, then I’m cool with it. But man this board… the hell fire and brimstone will decay your phones.

I’ve been on the Ekwonu train for a while. Gives a ton of violence, depth and versatility up front. I’m usually an all defense guy but I’d also take Walker or Hall in the second. Pound that rock

1 Like