The biggest, best, shiniest magic beans!

Not sure who to root for today? Here is all you need to know!

I wonder how we should factor in DeShaun Watson and a potential trade involving him? Does that make it so that we want the Texans to have a better pick or a worse pick relative to the other teams?

1 Like

grinch smile GIF

We’re taking out the expensive bean polish this week gentlemen!

grinch smile GIF

1 Like

Go Pack, ugh…think I threw up a little just typing that

3 Likes

Good question.
Here’s one way to think about it, I’m sure there are other ways too:
Unless we are the trade partner, I’d want Watson to stay right where he is. Since the Texans will be magic bean buyers rather than sellers, if they already have big shiny beans, chances are they won’t want even more big shiny beans. So there is more of a chance for him to stay put if the Texans are picking high (e.g. second OA).

1 Like

I actually think he’s the one veteran star QB that we might have a shot at. DeShaun is going to be looking to be loved, supported, respected and trusted. I think we can offer that in spades which might help compensate for factors that are lacking here.

As for rooting interest for Watson I think we want the Dolphins, Eagles, 49ers and Colts to all go on big time runs. Perhaps NYG and Chicago as well. We need to be the team that can outbid the rest.

And of course DeShaun has to be able to play.

Another rooting interest IMO is for Cincinnati and Ridder to impress. If they shock the world and he plays well in helping them do so then we may have some nice trade down opportunities.

I would think you want the Texans to trade Watson away and there to be one and only one clear QB prospect. Let the hype train take over. Hopefully enough for the Texans to be willing to move up to 1OA to ensure they get him. That would also require Holmes to NOT be Quinn and NOT advertise, yell, scream that he isn’t taking a qb.

Detroit needs to take a QB at some point in the draft because our 2 back ups aren’t NFL caliber players. Even if we don’t take one high, we at least need a guy that can compete for the back up job.

1 Like

Since we don’t really have a backup, wouldn’t the new kid actually be competing for the 3rd string job…for a team that elevates the 3rd stringer to backup?

They can draft one. If you’re trying to drive up the price and generate more interest in someone trading for your high pick, you can’t tell them you aren’t taking the player they want ahead of time.

I’d be willing to part with Goff and a Rams 1st for Watson. Maybe even our 1oa for Watson

No one is going to trade for Goff. The Rams traded him while he had some value. No team would give up a 7th round pick for him now.

1 Like

I know your position on mid round QB’s, but I think it may actually make a certain amount of sense to secure someone as a backup on a rookie contract that won’t completely suck if they need to take the field. I’m not talking about the expectation of finding Brady or far fetched nonsense, just someone who can adequately run the offense and be a good mind in the QB room. Thoughts?

Just to be clear, my position has everything to do with the idea of taking a “flyer” in the mid to late rounds and land on a good starter. A backup is all about going 2-2. In a 4 game stretch…do you feel the kid can pull out 2-2? If so…that’s an option for backup.

Well, who do you think might fit the bill, if anyone, out of this year’s crop? Trying to figure out who would be a decent backup from the 5th round, in many ways, seems like a more daunting prognostication than trying to find a high round starter.

5 QB’s went by pick 15 in 2021. We might not get 5 QB’s taken in first 50 picks this year.

Ridder is my favorite QB this year. I wouldn’t be mad if we took him with our 2nd pick but he could very likely be gone by then.

You guys really think the Fords will sign off on Watson being a Lion?

I really doubt it. But that’s my thought on it.

I agree, not sure they sign off on it unless Holmes and DC make a big push for it.
I would be all in to get Watson here for our 1st rd pick

Round 1 Pick 3 (NYJ): Aidan Hutchinson, DE/OLB, Michigan (A-)
Round 1 Pick 9 (WASH): Kyle Hamilton, FS/SS, Notre Dame (A)
Round 1 Pick 21 (N.O.): Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati (A)
Round 2 Pick 9 (PHI): DeMarvion Overshown, OLB/ILB, Texas (A-)
Round 2 Pick 18 (DEN): Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 2 Pick 19 (NYJ): Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 27 (DEN): John Metchie, WR, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 1: Thayer Munford, OT, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 8 (PHI): Jermaine Johnson, DE/OLB, Florida State (A)
Round 3 Pick 34 (COMP): Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama (A)
Round 5 Pick 1: Al Blades, CB, Miami (A+)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Aaron Hansford, OLB/ILB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Raheem Blackshear, RB, Virginia Tech (A+)
Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Brandon Pili, DT, USC (A+)
Round 7 Pick 15: Alex Forsyth, C/OG, Oregon (A+)

1 Like

Lol well that will never happen but I get it fairy tails are fun. But this is the land of OZ so who knows.