The case for Jaxon Smith-Njigba at #6

JSN was out nearly all of last year with hamstring issues. Is there no concern that those issues will arise in the future? The specter of him being injury prone would give me pause in drafting him at #6. Might be a plus for Brad though. LOL

I’m generally not worried about hamstrings once they’re fully healed. They become frustrating because guys come back too early when it’s prone to re-injury and it starts to linger all year. You really have to get over it before coming back to the field.

1 Like

I would like him more if he didn’t wear tampons on game day.

5 Likes

Can’t do it at 6.

Just like you can’t IMO pay every dude on the line all at once, you can’t drop high draft capital every year on a position and still field a balanced team.

Besides, we have our short field Always Open guy and our Burner. We need a Big Dude…if thats Chark, then great, he is tall and fast. If it’s more of an Anquan Boldin who turns 50/50 balls onto 89/20 balls, then great.

JSN @6 feels llike overdraft, overlap and overallocate

3 Likes

What’s funny about Adams is that is NOT how his pre-draft profiles read. some sources have made some “subtle” changes to their evaluation since then. Yes, that is a real thing. But in real time Adams had a question mark about his route running ability.

1 Like

Uh, what??

There shouldn’t be. His injury was severely mismanaged by a desperate Ryan Day because of how intrical he was to our offense. He reinjured it against Toledo because he was rushed back, and then strained it again against Iowa because Ryan wanted to have him back for the Penn State game so he played for some reason.

If feels better before its actually better. And you don’t know it isn’t better until you tweak it again. Its like a high ankle sprain. Or you can look at the particular injury that JJ Watt had years ago. Docs say that particular injury feels better before the player has actually healed from the surgery. So players try to get back out there too early and end up out for the season. That’s exactly what happened to JJ. As soon as he felt better he tried to rock out. No bueno. Season over.

I have a co-worker who went out for surgery 3+ months ago. She swore she would be back early. She finally came back to work on the doctor’s timeline that was origiinally given to her. She confided in me that she literally could not have come back earlier than she did, because she just started to feel like a human again the week before. I told her that was a blessing, then gave her football analogies. She was blessed with only feeling like she had recovered from the situation when she had actually recovered from it. And not feeling better before she was actualy better.

1 Like

With the insane contracts WRs get now, I am all-in on drafting them high.

4 Likes

Right Adams absolutely had some legit question marks coming out and most started with his route-running. It’s strange to look back on now that he’s one of the best route-runners in the game, but it’s a good example of another one of my favorite scouting adages, just because he hasn’t done it doesn’t mean he can’t. I used it above on JSN. Obviously you don’t want to bet on outliers, but that’s what the pre-draft process is for, to find out if they can do it.

1 Like

Yeah exactly, happens a lot. I’m sure it also happens that they come back too early and don’t re-injure it, but we don’t hear about those as often. But in general it’s good to stick with the doctor’s timeline over the coach that wants to rush you back (see Day, Ryan). Especially with hammies, which as you say feel better before they’re actually better.

I’m leaning way more Darnell Washington than the little guy from Ohio State. I don’t think Georgia used him that well. That excuse works for all their defensive players with no stats anyway.

1 Like

I think what would happen at WR is you pay the top 3 and moneyball the rest of the WR corps. That’s trickier at OL if you’re paying 5 out of 8 guys. Two extra guys to pay plus 63% of the group overall. The layout at WR wouldn’t be so drastic.

But you’re right it’s an issue, I just think the outlay at WR is gonna continue to skyrocket over the next decade and make it palatable… as long as you hit on the picks.

This is why I’ve always been hesitant to draft him but that combine opened my eyes. I think he has Justin Jefferson 2.0 potential - with a much higher floor as prospects - and that would fit like a glove on our roster.

3 Likes

With Adams you had to remove the player from the system he was in and how they played football. Devante Adams has gone from the perception that he was a poor route runner to becoming the gold standard that every NFL and college WR studies.

For anyone who wants a trip down memory lane to read a source that didn’t go back and do a “subtle edit” to its content, check this out. How Davante Adams Fits with the Green Bay Packers | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

2 Likes

Add Skoronski as an OG to highest floor list and mines the same.

I’m a big fan of JSN in round one…. My comp for him is Kupp….

If Amon Ra wants over 21M per I’m not paying it…. If Decker wants more than 12M by 2 years after this deal that ends in 24’…. Im not paying Swaggy more than 5M on a 2 year deal, nor am I paying Chark more than 10M per, and I don’t even love that.

So yeah…. Give me JSN, Darnell Wright, Darnell Washington, and a RB at #81. Give me a DT in 2nd.

As I’ve said numerous times…. CGJ, Sutton, D Long, Comish, Buggs and our defense is done.

JSN
Wright/Skronski
D Washington
K Benton
C Brown?

1 Like

Love the topic……. @Thats2 per the usual has really great points to why to even do this thought exercise.

The logic come from the idea that ASB isn’t married to the slot and also what if the lions ran two slots at the same time? ASB is a great blocker and JSN is faster. BJ is rumored to be toying w new ideas and it’s an idea that has been floated around in different areas of lions verse. Expect the unexpected.

4 Likes

Yeah I probably could have included him as well. He’s definitely high floor.

3 Likes

I don’t think he makes it to 18. What do you think about Addison there?

There’s a good dropoff but I still think Addison will be pretty good. I wouldn’t take him though.

For me, taking WR only makes sense if it’s a guy like JSN who’s just too talented to pass on.

5 Likes

Im also Big on Xavier hutchinson and Zay Flowers but they are more day 2 guys, which we could go for

we do have a surprsing amount of #2 options, but again, depends on Jamo next year

1 Like

Our WR room is better than last year if you believe Jamo will out perform Chark’s 2022 numbers…11 games, 30 receptions on 52 targets, 502 yards & 3 TD’s.

In 2024, Reynolds & Raymond are FA’s. I don’t see WR as a real option until the 3rd day unless someone we really like falls. I see maybe a couple UDFA’s to fight Cephus, Kennedy, Benson, others for #5 spot. It’s a pretty crowded WR room at the moment.

2 Likes