The Curious Case of Logan Stenberg

OK, I got nothing. I have no idea why he is taking up a roster spot.

1 Like

We need depth. Are we really that set in our backup gaurds that it makes Stenberg useless?

I didn’t love him as a draft pick just because of the enormous amount of penalties he committed however I thougt he could become decent if he played more disciplined.

2 Likes

IF he’s gonna succeed, it’ll be on this roster.
No more watching guys leave and become awesome because of system and coaching.
If guys leave and do well now, it’s because they were well coached, and so were their teammates…and they just didn’t get the playing time here.

I thought it was interesting he filled in with the ones recently. Could just be the staff seeing where he’s at, or it could be a sign that he’s finally ready to earn a spot.

2 Likes

Ragnow and Stenberg both went out for the season last year and Ragnow said he trained/rehabbed all off season with Stenberg. Stenberg had knee surgery.

When Jonah missed a day of OTA’s this spring, Stenberg was getting the starting reps at left guard. So, it looks like he’s making the roster as a backup guard.

5 Likes

People here got too excited about him out of the box. I think the word “nasty” was used about eleventy hundred times in conjunction with Logan.

The reality is that he was (is) a developmental guy who missed a chunk of last year. His ceiling is likely backup / spot starter. Not an unreasonable outcome for a fourth-rounder, and he seems to be on track there.

11 Likes

He’s getting to do or die with his career
I’d love to see him get to his potential
He’s probably +/- the 53 mark at this time

Good find, I literally could find nothing about the guy. The fact is that most guys simply wouldn’t get the chances he’s had. If he can provide decent depth, great, but who would know because we have seen basically nothing from the guy in his time here. A lot of staffs would have simply let him go because these guys didn’t draft him and a common theme for incoming administrations in the NFL is to let players go that aren’t starters and weren’t drafted by them. Working out with Ragnow is encouraging, if he can be the next man up after Brown that would change my “needs” chart for next year, hope it works out.

2 Likes

These guys stay healthy and they re-sign big V, I could see Stenberg as a nice depth player.

Love his aggression…just gotta be smarter with it. Can he?

Keep an eye on Kevin Jarvis, with the current situation regarding depth of IOL & his skill set would think he has a real chance to make the team

2 Likes

Might be a little early to declare him as making the roster… but a legit shot at competing? Sure, this feels like his best shot. Let’s see what he’s got, and if he can stay healthy

3 Likes

I liked him in college and was happy to see us draft him but I pointed out then that he was a project with plus starter upside.

For some reason he’s taking longer than anticipated to get there but injuries played a part. My guess is this camp will be his best chance to turn it around.

3 Likes

The words I caught when he was drafted were “limited athlete “. That told me not to get too excited no matter how nasty he plays.

1 Like

One reason I’m not giving up on him yet is injuries, but also because it was the only position Bob Quinn could actually find talent at. Decker, Ragnow, Glasgow, Jonah and Stenberg. He also brought in Matt Nelson and Evan Brown. And signed Big V, who gave up 0 sacks last year. Quinn acquired them all and besides Sewell, built our O-line. In many ways, B. Holmes and MC/DC lucked into having a solid O-line already last year and finished it off with Sewell of course.

2 Likes

And I remember the reviews from his first training camp: he was overwhelmed and out of his league. I don’t have much hope for him.

Loved the pick at the time, still do. Watched a few KU games and he shown flashes and a mean streak. Thought he would be a natural fit with the current regime. A natural complement on the side of Ragnow.

Still haven’t given up on him though. But the clock is ticking…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t write him off just yet. From what I remember he needed a lot of work on technique. Laken Tomlinson was also a limited athlete coming out of college and he’s had a solid cardinals. Some lineman just take time. Tj Lang rode the bench for several years before he became a pro bowl lineman.

5 Likes

Selectively quoting a post is so much fun.:rofl:

Great point on Tomlinson. He struggled as a Lion and we gave him away for a bucket of marbles aka a 5th round pick. He was very good with the 49ers and just signed a 3 year 40 mill contract with the Jets this offseason. He made the pro bowl last year.

Larry Warford is another guy who excelled once he left Detroit.

1 Like

We gave him away because Rod Wood and Sheila Hamp hired a incompetent buffoon as a GM.

3 Likes