The Hock Hurdle

Lol, it’s cool Jaded. We understand you even if you don’t understand yourself.

I’d agree that a blow to the head that knocks you out is probably a concussion by definition. We probably won’t see Hock any time soon. He needs to rest. You can’t take risks with a concussion.

1 Like

Thanks Jaded you’re probably right

1 Like

Being knocked out does result in a concussion. A concussion is the result of rapid acceleration (the initial hit) followed by rapid deceleration (the brain hitting the cranium). It causes temporary loss of brain function and shuts down the nervous system which makes you go unconscious. Hock has, without a doubt, a concussion, just a matter of how bad it is.

1 Like

My wife just got home (30 years a nurse and now practice lead for a office with 13 doctors and 50 supporting staff)

She confirmed that any time a person gets knocked out cold like TJ (she was at the game and is a big football fan)it is safe to say they were concussed

She says if a guy is “woozy” but stays Conscious the whole time is borderline and probably either had a mild concussion or was borderline concused but not considered “cuncussed” (I had a few of those but was never knocked out cold)

But according to her if a guy goes black he was absolutely in concussion

1 Like

The protocol in hockey is:

Grade 1 concussions: Head ringing, dizzy/disorientated feeling. This used to be referred to as getting your bell rung.

Grade 2: Loss of consciousness. This is the “knocked out cold” we see and saw with Hockenson. I was at the game as well, and as soon as he hit his body went limp and his arm went out straight. This is a reflex and a signal that someone is out cold.

Grade 3: This is a severe concussion and is the sort that leads to the very long term post concussion syndrome.

The worst part about concussions is they are cumulative. Once youve had a bad one, you are more and more likely to suffer more, and the less contact it takes for re-injury. This is what did in Jahvid Best. He had the massive concussion at Cal. The question was how long it would take before injuries would re-occur. Then he got kneed in the head in game 6 2011 against SF. It knocked him out the rest of the year. When he came back, just a simple play he ran into the pile gave him another concussion. I knew he was done here. He tried to come back and suffered another and was out of football. At this point, even general collisions were leaving him concussed

2 Likes

Very good explanation SGN

Later in the game, Logan Thomas didn’t try to hurdle the defender.

1 Like

Exactly. He did it the first drive.

After TJ got hurt he just turfed a DB

Ironically, Hock would’ve gained more yards had he just plowed ahead.

2 Likes