The "It must be June" Taylor Swift thread

I do not get anything about Miss Swift. The prices people pay is insane. Sorry to Nate et al, but she is of marginal talent and albeit cute, nothing special.

5 Likes

Sure, and I personally don’t get anything about Kanye before or after dude melted down but look at the dough he brought in. What I do know is life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same art, the same wine, the same music, etc. I’m a “Vive la difference”, type. When it comes to music I know right away whether I like it and hearing it repeatedly isn’t likely to change my mind. Not true with art though, after years of not really appreciating Modigliani, I have become an admirer. I think your belief that Miss Swift is of marginal talent really says more about you that it does about her.

2 Likes

vocal talent - very low
song writing, relatability and entertainment prescience - through the roof.

1 Like

This is true.

Never meant to diss the lady herself. To start off with, I abhor modern country (as well as hard core rap). Then some counter with, oh she’s more of a cross genre artist. Well, I’m sure as hell not going to listen to her entire discography to find out. Seen her on TV a few times and listened to some of her tunes. Funny you mentioned Kanye because I put him in the same boat, along with a few other bubble gum artists. Won’t mention names because I’ve ruffled enough feathers for one day.

Also true is taste varies from person to person, especially music wise. I consider myself having broad listening tastes and enjoy many different styles, but there are a few artists that I really don’t like. To further bury myself, I’ll add “The Beatles”. Now not musically, like at all. It is just my age. I had them crammed down my throat very early. Starting with that Saturday morning cartoon series. Couple that with three older sisters who are/were diehard fans. Just saying I was burned out on them being overplayed for decades. But I do own and listen to “Rubber Soul” and “Revolver”.

My favorite artist is Frank Zappa. So I can’t think of artist as polar opposite than Taylor. Now, fire away…

2 Likes

Frank is great, ever listen to Larry “Wildman” Fischer? Frank discovered him on the streets selling songs fora dime. I had this album, not sure if I do anymore. Talk about something that’s not for everyone.

2 Likes

I’m not that fond of her music and as a professional singer she’s not overly talented. But hey to each their own. Everyone’s tastes are different.

I like a wide range of artists myself and find some artists have an allure to their style. I like a lot of lesser known artists. Especially ones who have a unique style or perspective. For me Swift is way too commercial in her music and there’s nothing about her vocals that are awe inspiring. But commercial type music sells I guess. Nothing original, innovative or special about her in my book so I wouldn’t pay high ticket prices to see her.

Beetles however set a ton of music trends and their music is wide ranging. But I get what you’re saying. I tend to skip the beetles in my playlists because I’ve just heard their music so much that it gets a little old.

2 Likes

A.J. Hawk predicted last week Swift will be dating Rodgers soon! So everyone will hate her soon. :smile:

1 Like

In this scenario she wouldn’t be dating Rodgers, Rodgers would be dating her.

1 Like

So, what credentials do you have that allows you to make that comment? I find if people like her they say she is a great professional, if not, well. Sometimes a singers voice fits the genre and in fact no one else could out Taylor Swift Taylor Swift. Ever listen to Billie Holiday? Her range was just over 1 octave and yet who would say she wasn’t a great professional? Nit picking for the sake of nit picking but saying she isn’t overly talented is just bull shit.

2 Likes

Nope, never heard of him. But sounds like someone Zappa’s label “Barking Pumpkin” would sign. Don’t really care for the song you posted, but will track down other cuts. Always looking for new material.

One thing you can say about Erin, he pipes some lovely ladies.

Bastard, as if I didn’t already hate him enough…

1 Like

Yeah, an acquired taste to say the least. Some background…" Larry “Wild Man” Fischer staggered onto the scene with a double album, An Evening with Wild Man Fischer, produced by Frank Zappa in 1968. Though the record never elevated Wild Man to more than a cult status." He did some studio stuff with Frank who always felt the line between genius and clinical illness was too close to call.

2 Likes

What credentials do you have to say she’s not?

It’s called an opinion but it’s a fairly well supported one in the music community. Heck there’s several in this thread who have the same opinion. Her music is simple, repeating and unforgettable. There’s nothing special about it or her talent.

But I can support it with some links……

A quick google search and you can find countless examples of people criticizing her vocal talent.

Her music sells not because she’s a good singer. It’s because she’s commercial and does a great job at marketing it to todays young girls. Here’s a video that sums it up pretty well.

3 Likes

I dont know much about her…but I’d be willing to bet a large sum of money that she loves bald dudes!

From your first link, that is almost 15 years old now BTW, " Top New Female Vocalist (Academy Of Country Music)." Tell me, does anybody get better at what they do as their life progresses? Wait, did that say “Vocalist”?

Your second link is from 2010. a criticism of her by another artist. Great, it’s really a criticism of where music is at in our culture right now, the youtube piece as well. In the video he puts Swift in the same category as Beyonce and explains why she will never be an icon. She doesn’t have to be, she just has to be Taylor Swift and she’s very, very good at it because, wait for it, she’s a professional.

As a professional singer she’s incredibly talented at doing what she does, vocals are PART of the package, not THE package. She appeals to a very specific demographic who don’t care about the same chord progressions being used over and over and simply want her style of entertainment and she doesn’t disappoint. Why? Because she is a talented professional. Even musicians who have achieved icon status have to be reminded to stay in their lane, I saw Bob Dylan damn near get booed off the stage once for playing a bunch of new shit that frankly sucked and the crowd wasn’t having it.

3 Likes

Haha pretty hilarious thread. We went from who is going to the KC game to a bunch of old Lions fans arguing about if a hot pop star, who sings nothing but breakup songs is actually a good singer or not. It must be the offseason.

2 Likes

Just because she is a professional doesn’t mean she’s a good professional.

With your reasoning Matt Patricia is a great Head Coach and Andre Ware was a great QB.

Truth is your measured against your peers.

Isn’t that exactly what I said above?

That doesn’t make her a talented singer. Just good at marketing to her fan base.

Which is my point.

LOL, we’re done. Have the last word, your opinions with me and others on here are poorly supported and you have the right to blow me off of here if I told you what I really thought so I’m done. I went a long, long time w/o replying to anything you said on here, if I could block you I would.

1 Like

You can block me.

But I supported my stance (my opinion) with 3 links. Some by professionals who had the same beliefs.

I could gives dozens of more examples. You’re just choosing to ignore them.

People are entitled to have a different opinion from your own. If the world thought alike horse racing wouldn’t exist.

I respect your opinion. You’re entitled to it but I don’t have to agree with it.

But hey you’re welcome to block me anytime. No one’s stopping you.

3 Likes

How does a mod not know that you can’t ignore a mod? The reason I know is because I’ve tried to do it before and found out it wasn’t possible. There is no ignore feature on your profile, so now I am done or I might say something that would hurt someone’s feelings.

1 Like