The lame analysis of 49ers S Jimmy Ward

Goff made a deep playoff run. Stafford has to win a SB to justify the trade and also confirm Mcvay is a genius. But when I look at that Rams team Todd Gurly is what made that team go. I think you give any good QB a running back who can get you 20-25 tds in a season you are competing for a SB most years.

I disagree. Each year is different and each team is different. They still have to field a good defense and run game. If they do that and fail because of Stafford then I agree that both Stafford and McVay will be on the hot seat.

But if the Rams field a 32 ranked run game and their defense falls to below average then it’s hard to expect Stafford to take that team very far.

But assuming they field a solid team they best win some games or everyone in that organization will be under the heat.

Oh man I think if anything goes wrong with the Rams this year McVay looks like a fool and people start to wonder if Staffords cursed. Goff won playoff games with the Rams……It’s SB or bust for the Rams e with Stafford. Not to mention every analyst seems to be on board with the Rams playing at home in the SB. I’m not sure Stafford has ever been under this type of pressure before.

Blaine Gabbert is a QB who was on a team that won the Super Bowl. Should he start making “billboard” material too?

Facts or not… Jimmie Ward making comments to the media about a division rival’s starting QB reminds me of an old saying…

“He is writing checks his ass can’t cash”

They just went 10-6 and were 9-7 the year before.

They were 2nd in their division last year and 3rd the year before. That’s after going 13-3. That team has been declining.

Is it unlikely they could be 3rd again? That division has SF, SEA and ARZ in it.

They’ve lost several key FA’s and their DC. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think a few key injuries could knock them out of playoff contention.

He took over an 0-16 team so he’s seen plenty of pressure. The Detroit media is pretty tough too.

However I just don’t buy that it’s a SB or bust year for him or McVay though. Expectations are high sure.

Then that should make it easy…just pick one of the very few :man_shrugging:

I’ll be lining up for my plate.
I don’t see it at all.

2 Likes

Question Mark What GIF by Aminé

Oh I don’t think they are the best team in that division, but the media thinks they are and I keep hearing all the Rams in the SB talk. Stafford getting more attention nationally than he ever has and is now pretty much considered a top 5 qb. Perception is reality and the Rams have a lot of hype. I don’t think the Detroit media ever expected the Lions to win so this is new territory for Matt.

And again, you don’t make that trade to win a playoff game or two. Goff already showed that they could do that. If the Rams aren’t a serious SB contender at the end of the year I think there will be some fall out.

1 Like

The 2013 defense was average–literally. 15th in points against and 16th in yards allowed. 2013 NFL Team Defense Statistics | The Football Database

But, I will agree, and I’ve said it before, Stafford was a turnover machine in 2013 (19 INTS & a career high 8 fumbles lost), and the failure of that 2013 team to make the playoffs (especially in a year where Aaron Rodgers was injured for several games and won the NFC North with an 8-7-1 record), can be placed squarely on Stafford’s back.

In week 12, the Lions lost at home to the 3-8 Bucs 24-21 largely because Stafford threw 4 INTs including one that was returned 48 yards for a TD–the margin of victory.

In week 15, the Lions lost at home to the Ravens 18-16 largely because Stafford threw 3 INTs in the second half–one of which was on 3rd and 1 at the Ravens 31 yard line (cost them a likely 3 pts), and another of which was on 3rd and 2 at the Lions 33 (which resulted in a Justin Tucker 53 yard FG)–the difference in the game,

In week 16, the Lions lost at home to the 5-9 Giants 23-20 in OT. Why? Up 20-13 in the 4th quarter with 5:06 remaining, on 3rd and 7, Stafford throws a pick six, which is returned 38 yards for a TD, and then has 3 straight incompletions on the final drive from the Lions 20 with 1:21 left.

In week 17, the Lions lost on the road 4-10-1 Vikings, 14-13. For whatever reason, Stafford couldn’t get them over the hump. Maybe, Stafford’s terrible play made the playcalling more conservative.

Regardless, but for Stafford’s errors, the Lions would’ve won the NFC North with a 10-6 record and possibly could’ve been 11-5 if they were psychologically in a better position heading into the Vikings game.

Truly, a lost season and probably the only one of Stafford’s career where you can say he was the main problem.

2 Likes

That is why he said “On the verge of being really good”

Isn’t that the year calvin literally hand the ball after the catch to the defender twice and durham once also remember that I believe it was 3 more that literally hit his WR in the hands only to bounce off and be intercepted. But of course stats didn’t show that and most Lions fans don’t watch enough to notice things like that.

So you or I can have an opinion but Ward can’t?

Not sure why this fan base wants to keep trying to dog a guy that’s no longer here, alot got what they wanted just like they were so smart and wanted Caldwell gone and they got exactly what they wanted there too, they got Matt Patricia and he was from winning place and was gonna bring that here. It was just so easy I mean we finally got it right most said.

1 Like
  1. I was at the Bucs and Ravens games, so relying on memory in addition to stats.

2. The film of the Bucs game demonstrates that Stafford threw a bad pick behind Pettigrew’s head, another bad pick in the red zone at the goal line with an underthrown and inaccurate pass, and several errant passes to a wide open Calvin Johnson.

Yes, Durham had the agonizing and inexplicable spin around fumble on the sideline–not on Stafford.

But, on the Calvin “hit his hands” INT, the Lions were on the 28 (in FG range to tie the game), and on 3rd and 12, The Bucs brought 6 pass rushers on a blitz and Joique Bell was alone, wide open, in the flat. If you stop the video at the 3:38 and 3:39 mark, Bell would’ve easily had a 1st down and perhaps more. Stafford instead decided to throw a low percentage pass into double coverage with a converging safety. Bad decision.

1 Like

So, let me get this straight, the fans can’t want the Lions to get better and should stick with whatever half-ass coach or player we have for fear of the Lions management not getting a better player or coach?

Man that was an ugly pass to Pettigrew…and to top it off, Stafford is trying to blame Pettigrew.

And here’s Calvin wide-open and Stafford isn’t even close with the pass.

1 Like

Stafford’s poor play in 2013 was largely what got Schwartz fired and QB guru Caldwell hired. As Wes notes, by 2013, the talent was there. The Lions F.O. was correct to conclude that Stafford needed to be “fixed” and Caldwell succeeded. Stafford emerged as a far better QB under Caldwell’s tutelage.

2 Likes

Go back and watch that defense closely. It was the offense that hurt that defense. If the offense wouldn’t have consistently shit the bed that would have been a top 10 statistical defense.

The 2013 season was a missed opportunity.

2 Likes