The Lions are Number 1 - We are number 1 - Not What You'd Think

Saw this on twitter, was very surprising. I guess with Goff, Ragnow and Decker alone, that is a ton of cash. The offense better be good!!

스크린샷 2022-07-05 9.18.53 PM

2 Likes

6th in QB cost this year and 2nd in OL cost.

Goff will go down dramatically next year…cap will go up too.

Really need Decker and Ragnow to stay healthy, they barely played last year and were making a shit ton of $$$.

3 Likes

I was gunna say Warren Sapp is smart, but never mind.

1 Like

Wrong Warren!!

Great click bait for him, but says nothing about how expensive an offense is.

Reporting about one year cap hits as if they mean anything shows how ignorant the author is.

5 Likes

I think if we keep Goff in 2023 and 2024, he’ll make about $30M each year, like this year. If we cut Goff in 2023 we’ll gain about $20M in salary cap and in 2024 about $25M, while still being on the hook for $5M each year because Brad converted a chunk of Goff’s 2021 salary to a signing bonus. That’s my understanding.

Seriously wondering if I’m full of crap (again)?

@DeadStroke

LOL - What do you see happening, brother?

@sofatso is pretty much right. Goff is due around $26M in 2023 and 2024 and is scheduled to count about $31M against the cap in each year because Holmes converted part of Goff’s 2021 base salary to signing bonus (this was done to absorb the significant mistakes of Quinn).

If we cut or trade Goff, we will gain about $26M in each of 2024 or 2025 or we’ll have $10M in total dead cap (from converting Goff’s base to signing bonus in 2021). Saving $26M per year or having $10M in dead cap is saying the same thing, it’s just how you want to look at it.

Goff’s salary will not go down unless he is cut or traded or . . . if we pull a NO/GB/PHI and add void years and bonus a significant portion of his 2023 salary.

1 Like

Is this based on 2022 cap hit and not on the player contracts APY?

Also curious where you got the info, I couldn’t find anything that calculated team positional spending on OTC’s website.

If looking only at the year’s cap hit like the author did here… Frank was pretty cheap last year. His extension had not kicked in yet…

and thanks to his restructure… Decker wasn’t a big cap hit in 2021 either…

Which goes to show… looking at the 1 year cap hit is just as useless as @DeadStroke has been telling us all.

2 Likes

It’s there, but kind of hidden. (Have to click on Trends to see the option)

Yeah, it’s just looking at this year’s cap charges, of which we’re #1 on offense.

1 Like

Anyone that is curious, Jason answers an email question about valuing contracts and talks about using APY as a way of doing that. It starts about 1:22:20

1 Like

I haven’t listened, but……
Everyone knows that looking at a single year’s cap hit is not going to show the entire picture.

The APY certainly matters more if you’re trying to see what they’re going to cost you.

However, I tend to look at only guarantees and bonuses. This gives the truest sense of what the player is earning since such a small percentage actually play out their full second+ contract.

1 Like

Warren Sharp didn’t

1 Like

I don’t mind spending on the OL.
They haven’t played a single snap together yet.
This shows that we are all justified in expecting big things from the OL this year.

3 Likes

Here is a more complete article about it.

2 Likes

LOL point taken.

That said, it was just a tweet (an accurate tweet).

It’s not a complete picture. A team could have many, many more millions committed to the offense than the Lions, but that wasn’t his tweet.

2 Likes

thanks, brother. :pray:

1 Like