The Media Still Ignoring Us is a Crock

This is getting ridiculously stupid. None of sports cable media is giving Detroit any love. You’d think that some of these shows realize that spreading the news around with a variety of teams and not the same group (49ers, Cowboys, Chiefs, etc) would be warranted.

When the Lakers SUCK, these clowns harp on them all day.

3 Likes

Detroit is a mid-tier market and the Lions are 5-7. I’d just be happy if they got mentioned at all. If they were 10-2 and were getting no coverage, I think it’d be a different story.

7 Likes

Just wait until we crush the 10-2 - 1st place Vikes!!!

10 Likes

Has been like that for years. If you want to see some Lions coverage by the national media, watch or DVR two things: #1 GMFB on NFLN (they love the Lions) or #2 The NFL Today w/ Nate any time the Lions are playing on CBS.

With that in mind, they’re still 5-7.

If they get to 7-7 (or even 6-7 after winning Sunday), start watching or DVR both ATH and PTI on ESPN. The spread it around to lot of teams good or bad. Only thing with ATH is they currently don’t have a Detroit area guest so slightly less coverage.

2 Likes

The reality is the Lions have stunk for years (edit: decades/half centuries). We’re a smaller, more niche market and while we’ve played well recently, we were 1-6 just a month ago. If you want coverage, you gotta bring something.

Look at all the attention the Lions were getting after Hard Knocks and the first couple weeks when the offense was humming. I don’t think there is a distinct anti-Lions bias in the media, but these shows rely on eyeballs. So if you’re going to spend a segment on the NFL are you talking about the 9-3 Cowboys or the 5-7 Lions?

(I’d also argue the Lions don’t have that ‘Superstar’ guy that the media adores. I can’t think of any incentive the national media has right now in terms of giving the Lions any meaningful airtime)

You mean people are not clamouring for the latest on Jared Goff?
Crazy world these days …

I get why they don’t get a ton of coverage (Davicus makes the points), however the thing that does drive me crazy is that after each of our wins and even the Bills game. The national medias’ narrative is not that the Lions dominated the other team, but instead that the other team just didn’t play well, which is why the Lions won. At some point, that has to change, because the Lions have hung with several of the top teams in the league and beat up on a few other playoff caliber teams.

Don’t sweat it. Soon, they won’t be able to ignore us.
Then, we can ignore them.

1 Like

They’ll call them the team from up north that won a Superbowl.

1 Like

I don’t care. We’ve won 4 of 5. I’m giddy. They can have thier ANALysis.

2 Likes

Green Bay, and Seattle, are farther north.
So are Minnesota and Buffalo.
They’ll speak kindly when they have to.

1 Like

I think we’ll get some love once we throttle the Vikings on Sunday.

3 Likes

The Lions beat the Jaguars and are 5-7, why would they get much national coverage?

First of all, it’s a Detroit team and it’s the Lions so that alone puts them on the back burner then add in that they haven’t done anything special yet and it’s no surprise that they aren’t getting much talk. Beat the Vikings and perhaps that gets people talking.

Furthermore, I couldn’t care less about them getting mainstream coverage. We as Lions fans see the improvements and see that they might finally be turning a corner. That’s good enough.

2 Likes

When the “experts” trash talk us, I just remember back to camp of 2008 when a lot of them picked us to win the division.

1 Like

Alex Anzalone Yes GIF by Detroit Lions

1 Like

Exactly. I’m fine if I don’t have to hear Stephen A. Smith run his mouth about the Lions. I don’t think national coverage is all it’s cracked up to be.

1 Like

I actually think the media likes this Lions team. Hard Knocks helped out the perception of this team a lot. And I’ve seen commentators talk about how different the vibe is on the sideline and how opponents don’t want to play us because they know it’ll be physical.

I think I read it was the highest rated, or second highest rated Thanksgiving Lions game ever. People tuned in.

3 Likes

Well maybe it’s time to fully internalize that all major media outlets are inherently biased and full of s*** regardless of the subject.

This is because their job is not to provide you with information, their job is to get you to watch so they can sell advertising space and make a profit.

The end

3 Likes

GMFB really does give the lions alot of love.

2 Likes

Postscript.

If the service is free, then you are the product.
portals GIF

2 Likes