The Safety position

Article: 2021 NFL training camp: Aaron Rodgers, Melvin Gordon headline nine surprise summer trade candidates

After reviewing the article, there were a couple of safeties on the list as follows:

Marcus Maye

NYJ • FS • 20

View Profile

Does Joe Douglas prefer to deal Maye? Probably not. But he also didn’t prefer to deal Jamal Adams. And both standout safeties failed to strike a long-term deal with the GM before exploring other options. The fact of the matter is Douglas doesn’t prioritize lucrative paydays for the position. He’d save an instant $10.6M by dealing the young defensive back to a more financially flexible secondary.

Jabrill Peppers

NYG • FS • 21

View Profile

He’s still a big name with a big role, but with 2022 free agency on the horizon, Peppers could be dangled for the chance to gain $6.8M in cap savings for a team with just $2.4M in current space. It’s not as if New York hasn’t invested in alternatives at the position, paying up to retain Logan Ryan, recently spending a high pick on Xavier McKinney and finding snaps for the versatile Julian Love.

Maye would be expensive, both in terms of trade compensation and future contract. Might be better to wait until he hits free agency.

Peppers, who PFF ranked (fwiw) considerably higher than Walker, Harris, or Marlowe, would be a far less expensive option in both trade compensation and future contract. If the Giants are truly looking to dump salary, getting a “yet to be” 26 year old safety would potentially upgrade the position.

Before clicking - I am thinking this has to be off topic and some new safe sex position or something.

Helmet Be Safe GIF by memecandy

1 Like

Id much rather save the cap space and look to take Kyle Hamilton in 2022 draft. I think we will be in a prime position given our projected record and this kid can bring it. He’s a beast. I want him or if we really tank Thibodeaux.

1 Like

First I would rather see how Walker looks after returning to the FS position. He looked good there his rookie year, and then last year they moved him to SS, where he looked lost. IMO the Lions need to be focusing on SS over FS. So I would pass on both unless the Lions think they can convert one of them SS.

1 Like

Isn’t Peppers a SS? At UM he played a LB/S role.

Agree. Maye is 28 and would probably cost a pretty high pick. I’m leery of non-lineman who will be 30 before we are trying to compete for hardware, that will also cost us adding a talented draft pick next year. Peppers is a lot more intriguing to me. I think his best days are still in front of him and is just starting to blossom. I like Walker at FS, Peppers would slide right in long term at SS. We could probably get him for a mid round pick and top 10 long term Safety money. He would also fit in at Nickle if need be.

I could definitely see Holmes making a move for a safety late in the preseason when cuts are coming around. But before that, they have to see what they got in Walker, Harris and Marlowe in training camp and the preseason games.

Everyone sucked under Fatty P, but that doesn’t mean they will suck under coaches who work towards their players strengths. Walker and Harris were both 3rd rounders, and going back to playing split safeties is what they both had success with in college. I also think we are going to get after QB’s way more than before, which gives safeties a chance to make plays.

1 Like

I don’t think Safety is as bad as many fans think. I am counting on Walker returning to form an Harris showing he is a a third round pick if he doesn’t he will be gone.
Marlowe was the #3 S with Bills last season an wewill see how he does also.

I like UDFA we signed Amos an Price they ability also IMO to make roster.

If fans dislike Safety position we can sign two first rounders next season. Or a young FA stud an first rd pick.
I would rather do that than pay pick money an picks in a trade an the guy hit late twenties when we want to push in 2 years.

If Walker gets back to form why not then sign him an add a young S in draft .
IMO are weakest spot on D is are inside LBs playing 3-4 we have the OLBs but Collins is best Inside LB after that maybe Brown the rookie we will see. Collins will be aging out when we are ready.

100% agree @ coyote12, linebacker is my main concern as well.

We got Collins and then it’s all questions marks after that. Hopefully the rookie Barnes turns out to be a player, we traded up to get him, so Holmes must have really wanted him. But a rookie is still a rookie, going to be some learning curves.

I have very little confidence in Tavai. Reeves-Maybin is best on special teams and Anzalone has had nothing but injury problems in his career.

Walker isn’t a play maker to be a center fielder that’s why they moved him. He doesn’t play the ball well. He can play FS but your not gonna get turn overs and his guy will catch some balls. To not want better is like saying uncle at the position. And he’s the best we have that’s scary. Depending on walker to be your center fielder and Harris as your SS is asking alot. I think this position will hurt the team the most when games are played.

1 Like

Not saying your wrong but don’t feel we should invest this year lets see what the staff can do with what we have.
If you listen to them (staff) they like what S position can do i think lets see before we throw them out with bath water.
Its not that we can’t draft a high one next draft or sign a top end FA.
I think this is audition season an we will see who steps up.

We could draft Kyle Hamilton an maybe sign Marcus Williams from Mew Orleans an keep the best two from this coming season. Just a Example . I just don’t see signing big ticket players this year

Interesting you say that, he had 8 interceptions in college. If used effectively, I could see him surprising some people. And the new scheme is not going to play cover 1 (Center field) much. It’s a split safety scheme, check out the Saints and Rams film.

I want to see what AG and Pleasant can do with Walker, he’s got the size and measurables to succeed. I’m trying to be optimistic that the new coaches can really help him. In 2019, he was really showing some potential, 2020 was a disaster for Walker and really everyone in the back 7 of the D.

3 Likes

I hope your right and hope he’s better , a new system and coaches hopefully will help and could. You said he had 8 pics in collage so maybe there some un tapped skills. But so far he’s not much of a threat in the pass game.

And Yote I’m ok seeing if he can play and you mentioned Kyle Hamilton, that’s my favorite player for this team next year and the player I want the most. Well him And WR George Pickins

1 Like

I’m wrong all the time @Tcmouse, but I’m trying to give the returning players a fresh start under the new defensive coaches. Patricia ran one of the most predicable and pathetic defenses in NFL history, hopefully a few of these guys surprise us, if not we can always move on after this year.

3 Likes

This is so true it’s hard to judge alot of the defensive players because of his system especially the DBs. So maybe the coaches know something we don’t.

1 Like

My thoughts too. Peppers has been getting better every year. I’d like that move if we could get him cheap. Nothing higher than a 3rd.

1 Like

I think you’re giving Patricia too much credit. Did he really run a defense or did he just put 11 guys on the field and call it a day?

2 Likes

Looks like SB57 covered most of what I was thinking with my post. Thanks for that.

Also my vision has Walker on one side with their new rookie DB on the other. Harris at best would be the 3rd Safety and play strickly in the box, where he at least showed potential.

1 Like

Alright so maybe this has been discussed and addressed in another thread and I forget. But this is just what blows my mind. Patricia was able to scheme great defense against the Patriots, GB, and even the Chiefs (in that he stopped mahomes from throwing a TD) so he could set the blueprint for some higher profile games yet just got worked many times over every other game. How the heck does that happen? If I’m smart enough to scheme a great game plan and produce visible frustration and issues for the other team, yet when the bears come to town we just look completely lost and terrible…

I guess I still struggle connecting those dots sometimes. He’s obviously not an idiot in one sense, but then a blithering moron in another. I guess I’m just trying to reconcile those things.

Also for the record I will try to make this my last Patricia post/comment because I want to move on like everyone else. Unless it’s relevant in some way, and I’m more so asking a scheming/play calling question, but I don’t want to think about that regime anymore. We have much more hope and better minds moving forward so I’ll try to keep the MP trash talk to a minimum.

I said I’ll TRY.

1 Like

He rarely had 11 on the field lol, last year vs the vikes, patricia gave up a 70 yard rushing TD with 10 on the field. I wish I was kidding.

3 Likes