The Saints have a worse WR corps than the Lions

Decker vs Armstead- I’d take Decker. He’s 3 plus years younger, and while Armstrad has graded slightly better the last 2 years, he’s also benefited from Brees quick release, and a consistent and balanced offense.

Jackson vs Peat- since Jackson graded the same in a drama plagued, covid affected rookie year as Peat did in year 4 of the same system, I’d take Jackson all day!

Ragnow vs McCoy- Rags!!!

Big V vs C Ruiz- I’d give upside to Ruiz, but again Big V was in year 1 new offense that was derailed by fired coaches and covid. For what it’s worth PFF graded him slightly higher… let’s see him at RG, not RT… next to an All Pro and in a functional locker room and scheme.

Sewell- Ramczyk- obviously we have to give the nod to the proven 27 year old pro bowler- but he wasn’t recruited like Sewell. He’s wasn’t drafted like Sewell, doesn’t have the tape or measurables of Sewell, and for the record Ramczyk was a LT in high school and at Wisconsin. He had no problem moving to RT in nfl. This one could swing our way sooner than later?

I’ll eat my crow when/if I’m wrong.

We’ve added guys like Melifonwu, Sewell, McNeill, Levi O and Barnes that are top percentile athletes for their positions with elite size.

This team is better than many think.

Browns- 3500 yards 26 tds
Saints- 3700 yards 28 tds
Colts- 4100 yards 24 tds
Dolphins 3900 yards 24 tds

In 2019 only the Saints was top 18 D amongst teams above. Phins were actually 32!!! Saints were 13, so not exactly top tier either.

2020 the saints and Phins were both top 6, Colts 10 and Browns finished around #21 both years.

1 Like

Michael Conor Mic Drop GIF by In Real Life

If you choose to base a players opportunity on an alternate reality, that’s fine.

Brees ball fake, and then touch on both the wheel route and screen game was on a whole different level than Stafford. So between the offense where opposing teams called out our plays as we ran them… and the offense the felt compelled to force feed AP, it’s kind of hard to know for certain what we have.

What we know to be factual is that Decker allowed 2 sacks in over 1,000 snaps last year and many were in predictable pass situations with us down in the second half (6 penalties). Armstead allowed 3 sacks and 4 penalties in a very solid and smooth offense.

Armstead also did not have a rookie with no training camp lined up next to him.

Bottom line I would bet my left nut that Payton would take 27 year old Decker and 21 year old Sewell over 30 year old Armstead and 27 year old Ramczyk. Combine that with the 5M less in cap hits our guys have this year, and 10M plus less our guys will make next year.

1 Like

Saints add a 33 year old lacrosse player to the WR corps:

Sans a healthy Thomas, Lions is still better.

1 Like

I choose to not believe there is some curse surrounding the Lione that just forbids us from having good players or coaches or GMs. If every single player was contigent on their situation, not only would you not see any player movement, but no one would even think about comparing them.

I don’t think the player’s PFF grade has anything to do with the QBs release time, or that a Lions player’s grade is lower because they play for the Lions.

If Armstead’s grade is higher, then he’s a better player, because there’s not really much else to evaluate an O lineman off of.

Read up on how PFF scores. It’s not a subjective scale. They make it as objective as possible and results are king. If you don’t give up a pressure on a 2.4 second release you will receive a better grade than giving up a pressure on a longer release. This is the kind of thing that hurt Brandon Pettigrew’s score. They don’t care if Pettigrew was single blocking Julius Peppers at the point of attack and some other random TE was just help blocking on a medium consequential defender. Pettigrew still gets a lower score if the key block he made one on one isnt as effective as the help block of the other TE.

We actually have a WR corpse…Geronimo actually died 14 months ago, no one could really tell.

2 Likes

I was thinking of working a corpse joke in there. You and I should share a therapist. Save some money.

2 Likes

I was going to say the Colts have the best WR corpse and then post a photo of Raymond Berry’s grave. But Ray is alive still, which is great, even though it did screw up my joke.

Unbeknownst to me, Raymond Berry was born in CORPUS Christi bc that’s always how these things work out.

2 Likes

I’m still stewing (so to speak) that you guys both were able to make far better roux jokes than me, even though I had the first shot.

1 Like

Still stewing or still ruing?

2 Likes

@Weaselpuppy

Unfortunately… the Lions do have a history here.
Chuck Hughes collapsed on the field Octover 24, 1971.
He died of a heart attack.

He remains the only NFL player in 100 years to pass away on the field.

Love the jokes… and hate to ruin a fun time…
But also figure it is worthwhile to give Chuck a little respect long after his passing.

My parents were at that game. I was listening on the radio.

Boy, this thread stopped dead in its tracks. (apologies I’m so messed up).

1 Like

davebirkett

Amon-Ra St. Brown spent a good 10 minutes after practice today catching balls off the JUGS, some right-handed, some left, some both. He said he catches 202 extra passes a day. Gonna be a big part of the Lions offense this fall.

Video:

So would that make him 2 yards under?

Nick Underhill
@nick_underhill

· 5h

Saints WR Deonte Harris was arrested earlier this month for driving while allegedly under the influence of alcohol. These situations typically come with a two-game suspension.

John Sigler
@john_siglerr

8 different Saints players saw 20+ targets last year. At least 4 of them (Sanders, Cook, Thomas, and Harris) likely to miss Week 1