The Secondary

Agree… He does seem to find the ball though!

guys like Branch and Witherspoon are likely to measure in the 6’ and 190 tops range… Likely lighter for Witherspoon… this is such a tough draft to navigate…

I just don’t see many guys who I think walk in as significant upgrades over what we had last year…

Bijan at RB? Yes!
Skoronski at RG? Yes!
Q Johnston or JSN as WR2/3? Yes!
Mayer as TE1? I refuse to consider this option period!

Witherspoon over Okudah as CB1? I guess… Is here a better prospect? Will he surely be better next year?

T Simpson over Anzalone? maybe?

Branch over W Harris? Yes!

T Wilson over Comish? Yes!

• I still assert that we will likely feel compelled to bring back Comish, and hopefully not at 6.5-7M

I believe the rotation of Wilson, Paschal, Hutch and Houston would be BONKERS against run and pass… Signing Comish on top of Romeo and Harris is so much investment… Singing Comish and letting those 2 go gives us a really solid edge room, but we hope we don’t see Comish revert to the Charles Harris experience…

Yeah we don’t view the off-season the same. We have two top 20 picks. Pretty safe to say the draft plays a major roll in what we should do in free agency. Not to mention our entire core is going to be centered around 3 consecutive drafts. That means you do have to be responsible with future money. Especially if you are in the camp that we need to extend Goff, which I know you are.

Cut Vaitai, Brockers, Romeo, and Cabinda.

Two “high priced” FAs is all this team should be in the market for imo. I prefer that to be either CB/LB/DT/S/WR. And by high priced I mean like starters who make an AAV of 8-12m. If I could pick the two, it would be Lavonte David and Marcus Peters. Both get 2 year deals with a AAV of 10m. Sign the majority of our own FAs, a handful of low level situational/rotational guys and let’s roll.

That leaves our “biggest needs” heading into the draft as DT, CB, S, & IOL. The rest of our needs are just complimentary types like RB, WR, TE, DE, & LB.

We have a solid foundation at every position aside from CB, DT, and TE. Address one major need predraft and add to it again early. DT is one really good player away so I guess I wouldn’t mind if they spent big in FA to get Hargrave for example. But aside from that, we don’t need to go FA happy to be one of the best teams in the NFC. Not to mention we aren’t going to have the luxury of have multiple 1st & 2nd round picks every year. In the future if we have to sign some FAs because we have less resources (draft picks), I would like the freedom to do that. Spending a bunch of money now pretty much eliminates that. Or you are kicking more money down the road. Can’t just sign a bunch of FAs and boom, fixes everything. Things happen and don’t work out. Now you’ve spent a majority of your cap because you went nuts in 2023.

Stay the course…what we are doing is working. This franchise builds from within and I want to keep it that way.

2 Likes

Porter is the kind of kid that Pete Carroll feasted on because of the home situation. Pete was able to step into the kids homes that he drafted early in his Seahawks days. Porter has a very strong home situation, and it extends beyond his dad.

1 Like

This is what can happen when you spend big money in free agency…

Adding a bunch of FAs in one offseason is reckless. These guys hit free agency for a reason (too expensive, injury prone, aging, lack of production, etc).

I don’t like Martin anywhere near as much as Branch or Brown but I do like Martin on Day 3. Really good ball skills and coverage instincts. I mostly like him as a depth piece due to the versatility.

2 Likes

Yeah, both he and his mom are supposed to be A+ human beings from what I understand.

That kind of insider information is gold. Critical. Having a solid support family is the kind of thing that can help a prospect reach their potential. The NFL is filled with talented people. The ones with talent, work ethic and that competitive fire are what you are looking for.

Michael Jordan was VERY close to his parents for example.

1 Like

What do you think chances lots of defenders fall? I’m leaning that way.

Yeah for sure if he lasts into day 3 I’d be fine taking a shot on him. He’s a super athlete and does have really good instincts. To me he’s like a poor man’s Chris Smith, which I guess isn’t all that flattering since I’m not super high on Chris Smith, but they have some of the same strengths and weaknesses. I think Smith is a lot more physical but his size will always be a problem. Great instincts all the way around.

I think Martin’s man cover upside is much higher than Smith. I think Skith is certainly a more refined centerfielder.

If I’m drafting Martin it’s as a matchup piece.

My comparison is from what I’ve read is he can play all 3 spots CB, NB and S. And he seems to get his hands on alot of balls. I was thinking he could play the NB spot kinda like Branch. You don’t think he be good playing NB ?

He would be perfect pick 81 to drop in as are slot CB

1 Like

I think he can cover out of the slot for sure but I think he’s gonna struggle a lot with the physical side of the position. Branch is one of the best tacklers PFF has ever graded and is constantly in the backfield. That’s not Martin’s game IMO.

As a sheer cover slot against 3 wide he’d be good.

2 Likes

I will admit I am only familiar with him from watching Witherspoon and Brown but I don’t see him at 81. I was thinking maybe with one of our 6ths. Even in the 6th round there are a lot of other players I’d be looking at first.

1 Like

This guy is the target methinks at 48

2 Likes

If we want to actually compete for the playoffs / division… we can’t count on just adding rookies to the secondary. We are already pretty young with Jacobs, okudah, Joseph, etc. Sadly our one good veteran still under contract (Tracy walker) is dealing with a potential career killing injury and can’t be counted on. This is where we have to spend some big bucks and get an established veteran… maybe 2.

1 Like

One veteran CB. Don’t break the bank. I brought up Sean Murphy-Bunting on a Chark style of deal. Then draft two rookie CBs and let SMB wal after '23.

This is the kind of plan I think they’ll have. I think it’ll be important to bring in a solid vet as well as draft 1 or 2 rookie CBs. Not only to push the rooks, but to maybe push Okudah and Jacobs.

2 Likes

Teams compete with starting rookie CBs as a regular course of a season. The Chiefs started rookie CB Trent McDuffie in 2022 and rookie Brian Cook saw some game action.

I don’t support adding a free agent CB at this point. Jerry Jacobs and Okudah might be solid answers and if not, I love seeing a deep, talented and affordable CB position group pushing them.

If we bring back Elliott we gave him, Walker and Joseph who are all veterans now. Okudah and Jacobs are 2nd/3rd year guys now too.

The timing is perfect to add critical depth and talent to the secondary and let competition win out there.

2 Likes

Jaylen Watson and Josh Williams too by the end of the year. They leaned heavily on their rookie CB class. Of course having a guy like Mahomes allows you to do that.

I only support a certain type of FA CB, a cheaper vet option. Like Deshon Elliott last year. I think Murphy-Bunting could be that guy. Isaiah Oliver. Lonnie Johnson. Rock Ya-Sin. Guys who for one reason or another the light hasn’t come on yet. Could be steals like when the Packers brought in Rasul Douglas and if not, well they weren’t all that expensive anyway.

2 Likes