The take that The Rams must make the Playoffs Or a Bowl in 2021 is a joke!

Making excuses before he ever see’s the field, I will say, it’s novel.

1 Like

We’ll see what they do, I doubt huge things from day one …especially if their O-line is “worse” than Detroit’s.

1 Like

no excuses made. at all. I SAID that ’ I ’ don’t think they have instant Super Bowl or Playoffs—that’s all.

Stafford was said to be one of the worst QB’s by half our board, but NOW he went to LA , gee it’s instant bowl…that’s odd.

No, you said it was a joke for people to expect them to. Gotta hand it to you, FA and the draft be damned, Matt still gets a pass from people who will never get off his jock. You started this thread out of the blue for no reason except to argue with people. Well, it worked, and your opinion is that of an overt fan of his and not a realist.

yes I said it was a joke that he Stafford goes to LA and it’s instant BOWL when half the board berated Stafford his entire career

PFF ranked Rams O line as #3 best in NFL for 2020.
Lions came in at #13 spot.

McVay made public comments that placed the blame on Goff multiple times this year… and taking a HUGE cap hit to trade a QB only 16 months removed from a contract extemsion clearly demonstrates where McVay places the blame.

Get the popcorn ready…

Is McVay really a genius that can stay one step ahead?
Was it all Goff’s fault?
Can Stafford win a big game if he plays for a “good” team?

Inquiring minds want to know.

3 Likes

The Rams definitely need to make the playoffs and not get embarrassed in the first round. That has nothing to do with Stafford per se. The fan base will turn on the front office if all these resources went into trading Goff when they could have been used to improve weaknesses elsewhere.

They screwed themselves because even returning to the playoffs isn’t enough. They did that in 2020 with a “bad” team. They need to look like the 2017/2018 Rams with arguably less talent.

I am /was always a Stafford fan…BUT I knew full well he was not elite in Detroit, made mistakes, had poor games, messed up, could take unesessary sacks to. he wasn’t perfect and i’ll be the first to admit it.

I was reading on this board how he was heading into a worse situation by their O-line…I don’t know I do not watch other teams outside Detroit…never have.

BUT now Stafford is a Ram I’ll watch some of those games as much as I can …anyway…

If they miss the playoffs this year it will be a massive failure. This is the NFL–you need results NOW.

Of course it’s a joke. 2021 SuperBowl is this Sunday.

All jokes aside, never heard a 1 year time frame to win a superbowl. Only heard the must win in the next couple years/ Stafford’s time with the Rams.

No, you said PLAYOFFs or a bowl. You can’t back up fast enough to get out of just making a shit stirring post because you’re mad.

I am playing a bit of Devil’s advocate here too!

1st… PFF is not an unquestioned gold standard to me. Also… that was 2020. Every year is a new team, and Whitworth will be 39yo OLT this year. Starting OG Blythe could be lost in UFA.

2nd… I have posted in other threads that McVay complained that they lacked explosive plays on offenss. Stafford may help this effort, but the top 3 WRs in LA all failed to run better than 4.5 in the 40. They missed Cooks big time in 2020, and he only played 700 snaps in 2019 compared to 1200 snaps in 2018. They made a ton of explosive ays in 2018 with him and Gurley (pre knee issue).

3rd … the defense may not be as good either. I know I sound like a broken record… but the 2021 Rams will have a new DC, new LB coach, and new CB coach… plus as many as 5 new starters on defense.
They likely are losing the leading tackler John Johnson, and 2nd leader in sacks (Floyd)… plus could lose #2 and #3 best CBs.

4th… they play in deepest division in NFL.
And they have a tough schedule outside division (Green Bay, Buffalo, Dolphins, at Minny, Bears, and Tampa)

Playoffs really are no guarantee in that division.

2 Likes

:joy:

Stafford Tourette’s is debilitating. Sometimes I’ll be at a family gathering and just randomly shout out, “11 100 yard rushers in 12 years.”

2 Likes

I think they will be fine, but if their running game continues on the decline it could be a problem. The last 2 years have been very “Lion” like running the ball - 31st and 17th ranked.

The Rams also better get a deep threat WR. Trying to blame their lack of explosiveness all on Goff these last 2 years is completely disingenuous.

1 Like

The disparity isn’t that big though. Here are the actual grades from PFF:

Pass Block 2020
Decker 3 of 75 T (Grade 85.8)
Ragnow 6 of 37 C(Grade 74.8)
Aboushi 30 of 81 G (Grade 65.3)
Jackson 63 of 81 G (Grade 51.6)
Crosby 46 of 75 T (Grade 68.1)
Vaitai 59 of 81 T (Grade 53.3)
James 16 of 51 TE (Grade 70.5)
Hockenson 50 of 51 TE (Grade 50.6)

Pass Block 2020
Havenstein 40 of 75 T (Grade 70.8)
Blythe 26 of 37 C (Grade 52.8)
Corbett 41 of 81 G (Grade 61.5)
Edwards 31 of 81 G (Grade 64.4)
Whitworth 8 of 75 T (Grade 84.7)
Everett 37 of 51 TE (Grade 61.0)
Higbee 21 of 51 TE (Grade 68.8)

They made the playoffs this year and won a game and were in the superbowl 2 years ago with the qb that they traded plus 2 1sts and a 3rd for Stafford. If they don’t make the playoffs there should be talk of everyone getting fired on the rams.

3 Likes

When you look at the team rushing stats the Ram and Lions are very close. Point being Matt Stafford is not going to a team that is a rushing power house. Actually Adrian Peterson had a better year than Cam Akers rushing the ball. So yes Matt has got a lot on his plate this coming year and he is going to a team with a rushing attack very close to the lions, in fact if you look at team and player stats the 2020 rams vs lions offensive talent is very close. So the task at hand for the Rams is to have a better offense with M Stafford and and a offensive personnel group that is about as talented as what Matt had here. That puts a lot of pressure on Matt Stafford. The Ram Defense also has got a lot of pressure on them as well, they have to sustain at least a top 5 level of Defense next year to make it back to the playoffs. Wont be easy. In fact Goff didn’t lose the playoff game to green bay. The ram defense got their ass ran over by the packers . Donald didn’t do jack in that game either. I do believe the rams are rolling the dice hoping Stafford can take the Offense they have and raise it up a notch. I know as a lions fan if the Lions gave up Matt Stafford, two first rounders and a 3rd rounder for a new QB like lets say A Rod, I would absolutely be saying super bowl or bust or it was a bad trade

Lions 2020 team rushing stats

Rushing attempts 367
Yards 1499
Yards per attempt 4.1
Yards per game 93.7
Rushing TD 17

Rams 2020 Teams rushing stats

Rushing Attempts 473
Yards 2018
Yards per attempt 4.3
Yards per Game 126
Rushing TD 19

Any QB that ever played would rather have a stout o-line than a quality running game. If the Lions had a really good running game all these years, Stafford wouldn’t have all these passing yards. If you look at his yards per attempt, they’re not that special.

As for defense, Rams are way, way better. But the LA fans won’t be giving Stafford credit for the defense.