The truth about the Lions draft we all need to prepare for

Good post…but you could literally do this same type of post every year.

The real holes are at WR, DE, LB, and Safety. I figure most of our picks will be addressing these areas unless there’s someone from another position that is too good not to draft.

1 Like

Flip S with LB and that’s the biggest needs in order IMO. They need to add a starter at each spot, either in FA or the draft. Must adds

Although I agree for the most part that BPA is the way to go. I don’t want to see an OLman drafted until day 3. Other than that, im all for it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. That means I’ll need a friend to buckle me up in a straitjacket for the evening of April 28, then constant surveillance for the next few day, if that abomination occurs… :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Not saying it is likely, but if they can’t find a trade partner and their board is set that OL is by far the best player at that spot, I don’t see Holmes passing that up.

1 Like

As an outsider looking in, if the Lions hit on a perennial pro bowl o line man at 2OA, or even whatever their first pick comes to be, that’d be a real good thing

4 Likes

Agreed! Double down on OT and you’ve got the makings of a great OL for the next decade.

2 Likes

I get the feeling these guys are in the beginning stages for building a nice little run, my guess is it will soon become fashionable to be a Lions fan

I’ve seen this before

3 Likes

I saw one last year lol

Lions already have the makings of a great OL for the next decade.

Decker is the “old guy” at age 28.

Ragnow, Jonah J, and Sewell are 25 yo or younger.

2 Likes

I guess I could have worded that better. I think the DT class is weaker than the other positions we should be drafting. Now, with re to a DT in this draft because of that I think round 3 would be the first I would be looking. Do you know last year we took the 2nd AND 3rd DT’s in the draft? 2020 Only 4 DT’s were taken in the first 2 rounds. The year before that 5 were taken in the first round, and we could see 4 or 5 taken this year in the first. It is a good year at the top, but so is WR, S, DE and LB. Are we already sure what we have in our 2021 DT rookies? When our picks come up I just think we don’t have to reach to be able to get value at positions of bigger need and that isn’t saying DT would be a reach. RB, I simply don’t value as much as you do and I like our RB room fine. If the draft fell your way I wouldn’t hate it because in the end I think all your guys would be starters.
With re to RB we averaged 4.4 ypc and 110.9 yards a game with how many OL starters not playing? If we run 4 more x a game, 1 more each quarter, if our OL makes no difference we’re at 128.5 yards rushing per game. That was with Swift and Williams both playing for 13 games. I had Pierre Strong in my draft but there’s no way he lasts until the 6th. I could see us adding a RB later in the draft, like a Tyler Goodman who has better receiving skills than Hall or Walker.
Not sure there will be a decent LB at 97, I do think a decent DT will still be there. Whatever they do, at least they seem to have a plan.

Decker was hurt part of the year and is not likely to play another 10 years. Whitworth made it past that so you never know.

If you have another elite young OT, Decker becomes expendable/tradable and you have an extra lineman for the jumbo package Campbell likes to run.

2 Likes

I would bet a whole lot that we don’t take an OT early. The Lions have way too many holes on the defense to go that route. While we do need a G I have a feeling he’s already on our roster.

He doesn’t need to play 10 years.

However… he is under contract for 3 more years at reasonable salaries… so why move on from him?

Trading him in 2022 would leave over $14 million in dead money for a player no longer able to contribute. No thanks.

A trade in 2023 leaves $10+ million in dead money…. which is nearly as much as his salary for the year.

I’d much rather add some talent to positions that are lacking… than get rid of one of the few good players we already have on the roster.

1 Like

I pray to baby Jesus that you are right!

Alot of people here seem to want to draft a Bi-Polar Asshole. Or maybe that’s not what BPA means.

1 Like

I’d label our needs in order… DE, S, LB, WR

3 Likes

I agree with the positions, but LB is number 1 for me.

1 Like

DE, LB, S, and WR for me. I really think a stud LB changes the entire effectiveness of this defense.

1 Like

Someone like Devin Lloyd!

Well that was depressing :rofl:

Seriously, great post and breakdown of roster needs and questions. It shows that the lions have a very long way to go to get the roster on the level of the bills, rams, Titans ect ect…. The good news about all that is there really isn’t a wrong direction Holmes can take. He can let the board fall to him and take best player available. Hopefully he can trade down a bit in the first round and get some more high picks. I’d love to see them go back to #9 and possibly pick up another first rounder.