The worst Lions mock draft - EVER!

This has to be the worst mock draft I’ve seen in a while.

So I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to the worst mock drafts you can find or make on the internet.

So if you come across a bad one then post it here.

PFF has to take a seriously lazy approach to the Lions

2. DETROIT LIONS : T IKEM EKWONU, N.C. STATE

You want the best run-blocking offensive line in the NFL? Because you just got it. Ekwonu can slot in at guard immediately while developing to be Taylor Decker’s eventual replacement at left tackle. The Power Five leader in big-time blocks would create a juggernaut offensive line in Detroit.

32. DETROIT LIONS : WR TREYLON BURKS, ARKANSAS

The Lions now remake their receiving room with one speedster in D.J. Chark and one power forward in Burks. Burks has been one of the best YAC receivers in the country, averaging 9.3 yards after the catch per reception last year.

34. DETROIT LIONS : RB BREECE HALL, IOWA STATE

66. DETROIT LIONS : LB DAMONE CLARK, LSU

97. DETROIT LIONS : TE JEREMY RUCKERT, OHIO STATE

So the Lions go defense only once in their first 5 picks?

I thought the same thing when I saw this, really ugly. I like the o-lineman, but trade down only. I’d prefer defense, defense, defense, with a WR somewhere in the top 5 with speed.

Yeah I listened to him talk about it on the podcast. He just really liked the idea of us building a crazy run-blocking line. It’s why he added Hall to it as well, he was leaning in. Personally I hate it, though I do like the Burks, Clark and Ruckert picks.

1 Like

I don’t mind Burks at either No. 32 or 34 as long as the other two picks, No. 2 & 32 or 34, are invested on defense.

2 Likes

I’m not crazy about the position allocation… but I like the players.

Hall is the worst pick IMO… because… well… RB.

At the end of the day… if all of those picks work out like the scouts think they could… it would be one of the best drafts the Lions have had.

2 Likes

That’s my thinking too. I’d be fine with this draft actually, except for the first pick.

Its not a bad idea to load up on one side. Its better to be great at something than trying to fill in all the holes and be average everywhere.

That has the makings of very good offense though I dont know if Goff is the one we want to orchestrate it.

1 Like

Especially since apron Glenn is leaving next year. Save the defensive draft picks for the next coordinator

I dont know man I would be ok with this. The first pick we’re taking positional value and giving ourselves possibly the best run line in football. Burks could be a stud WR and Hall would be a monster behind Sewell and Ekwonu.

I don’t know much about Clark and an offense heavy draft would be a disappointment given our defense last year. But I wouldn’t be unhappy with most of these players drafted where they are drafted here

2 Likes

Clark is a beast. He’s big and athletic and I could see good coaching getting very good value with him.

They all hate Detroit.
They just do.

Going OL at 1 just makes no sense to me. We have so many holes and OL isn’t one of them.

I’m good with Burks.

A RB? Before the 5th round? No thanks.

I don’t hate Clark… at 97. I feel like better LB prospects will be there at 66. Especially when you passed on Dean at 34 for a RB. I’m probably taking the Montana kid if I didn’t already take Dean at 34.

No opinion on Ruckert, I haven’t scouted him. I’m more likely to look for either the CSU or the TAM TEs here, but if they think Ruckert is better, I’m not going to argue.

1 Like

I think WalterFootball’s mock last week that had Detroit taking WR Drake London at #2 was worse.

I actually love the idea of this draft.

I would pick KWIII over Hall though.

Ekwonu is not a realistic pick no matter how much we need a road grader at that RG position, however.

If the draft fell like that and we took a DE with the 20A I would be happy.

It’s not really logical or realistic….

But-

Goff- 3 years

Swift 2 years
B Hall 4 years

Decker 3 years
Jackson 2years
Ragnow 5 years
Big V 3 years
Sewell 4 years
Ekwonu 5 years

Hock 1 year
Ruckert 4 years

Burks 4 years
Reynolds 2 years
St Brown 3 years
Cephus 2 years
Raymond 2 years
Chark 1 year

Levi 3 years
McNeill 2 years
Brockers 2 years
Romeo 2 years

Harris 2 years/J Okwara 2 years

D Clark 4 years/ D Barnes 3 years

Anzalone 1 year/ Hamilton 1 year

Okudah 3 years/ Jacobs 2 years

Walker 3 years

Harris 1 year

AO 1 year/ Iffy 3 years.

Look at that offense…

So Hock, AO, and of course W Harris and Anzalone are plays our eyes are drawn to with just 1 year left.

Chark too….

Brockers and Big V are places we’d definitely move on from monetarily I would think, and we’d take

So if we walk away from Chark we eat 6M, plus another 5M in dead cap between V and Brockers, and thud that’s 11M-

But we save 22M from V and Brockers… so 11M ahead-

That money will easily pay the year one hits for AO and Chark new deals….

We’d have the choice to give hock 14M apy deal or franchise him…

So we’d have a balanced offense with size, speed, power, etc at WR for at least 3 years!!! That group of Burks, ASB, Hock, Hall, Goff and an elite OL would be really tough to stop…

If we needed more weapons , i would like this draft. But we need Defense.

D Clark is a LB I love…

Of course the rest of the D would be a few guys getting healthy- Romeo- Okudah- Clark and any other signings, plus the growth and progress of Barnes, Levi, and McNeill.

Since we already have our whole team signed plus 20 more guys…

We could try shopping the #97 and our 6th for a solid starter/. I know this mock had us taking Ruckert at 97- but we could wait til 5th and grab a guy like Hendershot.

One of these close cap teams would likely trade a S or LB for a late 3rd, a decent one.

I don’t disagree with you at all….

I’m just saying we are 1 piece on the OL, a dominant and electric RB and a bully at WR from having 3 consecutive years of an elite young offense.

With most defenses built to stop 3 WR spreads, that OL with a 220 pound back, and blocking TEs and WRs would be damn hard to stop with nickel groups, rush DTs, and light LBs…

We’d be able to add 2 more defenders between FA and a trade, plus D Clark, and of course Okudah and Romeo coming back…

Anthony Barr- he’d be a great pair in rotation with JO at SLB- virtually same body type and athleticism numbers.

J Peppers- could show some new life in Detroit on a probe it deal,

Okwara/Harris

Brockers
McNeill/Penisini
Levi O/Cornell

Barr/JOkwara
D Clark/Barnes
Anzalone/Hamilton

Okudah/Iffy
Walker
Peppers
AO

That could easily be a top 22-23D…. Remember that

We played 2 road games with absolute mash units. One was a 50 point bomb with 65% of our D starters out on the road with Boyle starting, and the other was the game in Denver where Goff essentially played with the practice squad due to covid…

I think just being healthy, adding 2-3 starters and being in year 2 in the scheme- that alone helps us take a defensive step.

We’d also have tons of draft capital, and some money to add 4 more pieces to the D next year- as the O would truly be set?