Then I ran across this

there’s an old saying “If it ain’t broke…don’t fix it.” . To me if we can get to 10 wins, if we are sniffing the playoffs each season, mmm to me , I’m not seeing a whole lot wrong with that. however if we are getting 3 to 7 wins? that doesn’t do it for me .

He’s ranked too high.

Guy is terrible, should actually be ranked 32nd

It depends on what Goff we get. The Goff that finished the season is a top 10-16 QB. The Goff that started the season was a bottom 3 QB. With a much better supporting cast I see him staying around that league average/slightly above average range. I personally don’t see more upside than that with Goff.

Once this staff knows for certain that that is Goff’s upside, I hope we flip him to a contender (next offseason) and draft a guy in 2023. If Goff has the season I expect him to have, I could see a team like the Colts giving up at least a 1st and 2nd for him, with a chance at a little more. Take those picks and go get your QB and the use extra 20mil in cap space to bolster the roster/retain our own.

Not a Goff hater in the slightest just think his ceiling isn’t high enough for us to build around long term.

2 Likes

If Goff plays 17 games like he did the last 5, he’s the #1 QB in the league. That’s not realistic expectations imo.
5.5 td’s to every interception and 70% completion, has any QB ever done that for a full season?

2016 Matt Ryan
16 Games – 4,944 yards, 38 TDs, 7 INTs, 69.9 completion rate, 117.1 passer rating; 117 rushing yards

2007 Tom Brady
16 games – 4,806 yards, 50 TDs, 8 INTs, 68.9 completion rate, 117.2 passer rating; 98 rushing yards, 2 TDs

2013 Peyton Manning
16 games – 5,477 yards, 55 TDs, 10 INTs, 68.3 completion rate, 115.1 passer rating; rushing TD

1 Like

It all depends on witch Goff you get, for 10 games he was a bottom 5 QB, for 6 games he was close to top 5. Jared’s fate is in his own hands he showed he can sling it he just needs to go play like he did at the end of the season. If he does this team could be alot better then most think.

2 Likes

Goff would have had about 38 TDs to 7 INT’s and about 3,800 yards if extrapolated over a full season. Very good number, but hardly best in the NFL.

Comp 372 Attempts 561 Completion % 66.3 Yards 4221 YPG 263.8 TD’s 33 INT’s 7

Above is Kirk Cousins stats for 2021. Thats not too far off Goff’s extrapolated stats. Was Cousins the best QB in the NFL last year.

2 Likes

Those are pretty solid stats. Putting it in perspective. Stafford has less than a percentage point better accuracy, 665 yards more yards (Cousins missed one game) and Cousins had almost twice better the TD:Int

Cousins 2021
4.7 TD:Int
4221 yards
66.3%

Stafford 2021
2.4 TD:Int

1 Like

Those calcs were just crunching #'s real quick-like, he was actually completing at 71.5%, not that big of a difference but its still something.

It’s not really in his hands. He needs a supporting cast, moreso than a lot of QBs because of his lack of mobility and elite arm strength to make receivers better than they really are.

He struggled in the first 10 mainly because he had no supporting cast and looked better the last 6 because his supporting cast improved. I think he’ll have a much better overall season next year assuming relatively good health around him because he’ll have the support to guide him. Some QBs can make chicken salad out of chicken shit, Goff isn’t one of those guys.

1 Like

Even in those games where Goff played well I’m not sure his weapons were ‘chicken salad’. Was better than the beginning of the season that was chicken shit for sure. But even when Goff was on a tear those five games his top receivers were a rookie, journeyman Kalif Raymond and Reynolds a waiver cut who would be most teams 4th guy

Swift and Hock were out most those games, the RB was a dude we got from a couch watching Netflix, and our Pro Bowl center was gone

2 Likes

Yeah, i think it had more to do with DC than anybody on the field. DC got in Goff’s head, in a good way. Before that, Goff was a broken man.

3 Likes

alot of this. I also think Campbell listened to Goff and they designed an offense that plays to his strengths. I remember the mic’d up on the Rams game and Goff was celebrating a play with Reynolds saying something like ‘Man that crosser route felt like the old days’

I also think getting Decker back had a ton to do with it. Every QB is different when they trust their protection

2 Likes

Fair point about Swift and Hock but I would rate Reynolds higher than a 4 in the sense that he already had symmetry with Goff so having that guy that Goff had comfort with really aided him. Amon Ra getting more usage and Decker coming back along with Sewell’s improvement were key factors as well. Ragnow was gone most of the season.
Also, an understated move was Lynn not calling plays anymore with that ultra conservative mindset.

Regardless, my general point was that Goff needs a strong support system moreso than a lot of QBs sort of like Kirk Cousins. They need players that can get open quickly because they don’t have the improvisation skills to find 2nd/3rd options or to make something out of nothing.

I think it was the Cardinals game, but yea I remember that. Reynolds wasn’t a Lion yet when we played the Rams.

Agreed on this for sure. Decker coming back was two birds with one stone because now Sewell goes to RT and Matt Nelson is the 6th o-lineman/Blocking TE. Imagine the whole O-line with a healthy Ragnow. Ragnow, Sewell and Decker played 0 snaps together last year.

1 Like

right now that sounds good.
but if i know you, me and the rest of the board, 10 wins ain’t gonna be good enough once we get there.

1 Like

yup thank you. Meant to type Cards. Had Rams on the brain

1 Like

Did you guys read the stat break down in the podcast posted on Goff by “Dan”?!

Look at the first four games

Then the last six or seven (can’t recall)

And if you combined them, he was hitting 69/70% for 11 games and way more TDs than ints

We went 0-4 out the box last year as our rushing sucks and so did the defense….

Goff played, stat wise, as a top 5-10 QB

1 Like

I could see it breaking down that way too. I think it’s very hard to upgrade from him, but if you can…you DO.

It’s funny that you have to throw that disclaimer on there, but you really do.

He went 80% in the Cards game. Against a defense that was top 10 at the time

1 Like