Thibodeaux interview

I really think the anti-Thibodeaux furor because people want Hutchinson is really out of control on the board.

7 Likes

“Man…I hear ya Tibby…a-stigmatism ain’t nothing to mess with.”

Dan Campbell (in his corrective lens helmet)

3 Likes

He’s an advertising major that picked Oregon over Alabama because he wanted connections to Nike (ie endorsement deals). He’s a few months from the draft and he just insulted an entire region of the country that includes the team with the first overall pick that could save him from going to Detroit.

Might not be that smart.

Maybe you shouldn’t think. Nothing personal, but Hutch has nothing to do with KT busting as a top 5 pick.
I’m guessing MOST people would like a trade down. I prefer Hamilton between 5-10 and an extra pick.

2 Likes

What did you say out loud at 21?

10 Likes

First and foremost, that’s completely unnecessary. I’ve been nothing but cordial with you in this conversation and yet you make a personal attack. Knock that crap off. Following it up with “nothing personal” is ridiculous after you say something completely insulting.

Some people on the board want Hutchinson because of his UM connection and have admitted such. That’s OK. Maybe you aren’t that way, but it is natural for people to want a player they are more familiar with from their home state. I have no issue with that. However, that desire sometimes causes people to overreact to negative traits of other players, and we see this every single draft season.

5 Likes

Not “Brian Calhoun” that’s for sure. I said that out loud at 74.

6 Likes

Well poo

They disabled the video?

And he is talking about a decision he made to choose a college when he was 17. He seems like a thoughtful, independent thinker.

Unfortunately, that might not be what the Lions are looking for right now, unless they are convinced that he totally buys in to what they are doing.

1 Like

Yeah, well, We’d certainly take another Suh.

I’m not surprised by this. If you’ve listened to KT in past interviews, he gives very thoughtful, honest answers. He might not have the pure passion for football that Hutch has but he’s an intelligent guy and an athletic marvel. I prefer Hutch who I think fits the Holmes/Campbell culture much better but this interview wouldn’t turn me off on drafting Thibs.

3 Likes

Are you suggesting fans want kneecap biters instead of thinkers?

Suh was both.
Ndamukong Suh Celebration GIF by Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2 Likes

I tend to believe Phil Knight may have played a bigger part of his decision than we will ever know. $$$

1 Like

The interview rubbed me the wrong way tbh. I want him to be smart. Hell, I don’t care if he has the sort of business acumen Suh did.

But the question is now going to be: how much does this guy really like football? I would go back to the Sewell pick. It wasn’t just about Sewell’s talent. It was about his passion for the game. The good thing is they have Sewell, who knows what KT is about and hopefully what is in his heart. I do always wonder if the scouts and GMs actually ask the players on their teams about their underclassman teammates in college. It would only be smart wouldn’t it?

3 Likes

Yes, it would
And I’m sure they do!!

I’m sure there will be plenty of home bias towards Hutchinson , but I do think the majority of this board wants what’s best for the Lions.

I don’t watch hardly any college football, really the Lions are my only football team. I come to the board to hear people talk up players they like and think will be a great fit for our Lions. This time of the year is a lot of fun to see the knowledge on this board. Sometimes unfortunately it gets a little crazy around here.

Right now it’s January and we have Dan Campbell as our coach. I assume we keep AG as well…which is great. So basically it’s early in the process and we have plenty of time to assess. Plus we have the guys that can motivate their players.

If this group is as collaborative with Broad Holmes as has been promoted, then I won’t be concerned with Thibodeaux as a Lion. Plus Sewell knows him from his time at Oregon. I imagine they’ll be talking to him as well.

IN regards to the Thibodeaux interview. I’m not impressed, actually I think it was awful. I don’t like it when people go out of there way to make something look bad to make themsleves look good. His commentsAlabama education about were unnecessary…actually foolish and immature. I think he talked about intelligent things, which is good…but how he went about it sucked.

It’s January and I hope to see him in plenty more interviews to get a better look at him from a personality perspective. I curious how he interviews at the Combine as well.

Idk why fans get this nasty about players. If KT gets into an accident or injured him self and he can’t play anymore then all of this is untrue he can’t pay bills with an Oregon #5 jersey if he’s unable to play.

For right now, MCDC does. The new culture of the Lions is still in a fragile state, although they are rolling now.

Because the Lions finally have good positive momentum, they won’t want anything to slow them down. No player is worth bringing on board if they are going to disrupt that momentum through any number of ways–and one of those ways might be by being too much of a critical thinker.

My own feeling is that he is not a good fit for today’s Lions. But if his independent thoughts align with the Lions goals and he is willing to commit 100%, then there will be a place for him.

It’s prospect fatigue, it happens every year. The same thing is happening with Derek Stingley. Happened with Sewell last year too, to a lesser extent. We’ve been evaluating them as future pros for so long and when they don’t keep doing the elite, elite things that made us talk about them in the first place, we start to convince ourselves maybe they aren’t as good as we thought.

9 times out of 10 we’re wrong.

3 Likes

Interesting. How did you guys feel when Suh left in FA after being part of the last rookie class to earn mega-contracts at the top of the draft ?

I don’t blame players for being somewhat cynical about the college and pro process; they are treated like cattle, if not worse. Gets a little worrisome when a candidate doesn’t have the sense to hide it, though, during what is essentially a long job interview process. It has a whiff of arrogance and/or stupidity about it. Pair it with the observations about his dogging it on the field a bit when convenient and…

2 Likes