This explains why Duce is all over Swift

I posted this in the hard knocks thread and another poster recommended I start a new thread so it won’t get lost.

But here is a break down of Swift playing impatient and undisciplined. And explains why Duce is all down his back this year.

And here’s tape on Jemar Jefferson for comparison. This tape is the reason I’m rooting for JJ. I think if he can keep this up and obviously continue developing in the pass game that he’d be the perfect closer for our games.

13 Likes

Great post. Just shows how important vision and patience are for running backs. All the ability in the world won’t help you if you miss the hole or don’t wait for the play to develop. It also has to be extremely frustrating as an offensive lineman to block the play perfectly only to have the back cut right into a defender you have blocked.

7 Likes

Yeah some of these plays are brutal. But he makes up for them with the solash plays. But it really drives home the point that he can be a top back in this league this year.

Like another poster said watching this demonstrates why Williams gets so many Carrie’s and why his YPC is so high

3 Likes

Love it!

Swift needs patience

And I need patience with Jefferson

:crazy_face:

5 Likes

Agreed, you can see the talent at making people miss. Just needs to trust his blockers and be a bit more patient. He had 130 yards in that Steelers game, watching that breakdown, he could have had 200.

Runs like this show who he could be!

4 Likes

His PFF grades were always pretty bad and this is why. It’s also why I didn’t like Swift in the draft, though his pass-catching chops has mitigated some of my disappointment.

6 Likes

Is natural vision as a RB more important than natural skill and can vision be taught? Because that video shows Swift does not have great vision or didn’t trust the play call/blockers

2 Likes

It’s not easy, it’s really about quick decision-making. But the best chance is to pound into their heads to follow their blockers. Stay with the play, run where it’s supposed to be blocked. The SF scheme is great at that cause it’s one-cut and go.

4 Likes

One of Swifts strengths is his vision, and he was regarded widely as having some of the best vision coming out. Patience could at times be an issue, but was also a strength. Which along with his start stop, elusiveness, and speed was why many had him as the best RB in the class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2883745-dandre-swift-nfl-draft-2020-scouting-report-for-detroit-lions-pick.amp.html

3 Likes

Imagine blocking for Barry back in the day, they had no idea what he was going to do. It sure worked for Barry, but that would drive many coaches insane.

2 Likes

I listened to a great podcast recently, Matt Waldman from footballguys was on with Ian Hartitz and Dwain McFarland of PFF and they were talking about how Javonte Williams has some of the same “vision” issues. Waldman pointed out how guys like Shady McCoy, Jamaal Charles and even Adrian Peterson were able to improve and better follow their blockers (i.e., stop trying to break everything outside), while guys like Darren McFadden, Thomas Jones and Reggie Bush until very late in his career didn’t.

2 Likes

So it can be learned and taught, the biggest issues are trust and patience from what I’m gathering

5 Likes

Right. I’d say it happens pretty regularly overall. But it’s also pretty enlightening when it comes to guys like McFadden and Bush, who everyone thought would be the best ever. Saqoun has some of the same issues.

2 Likes

That’s who did the breakdowns above

1 Like

He’s an excellent analyst when it comes to running backs

1 Like

Saquon looked like a shell of his former self last year after returning from the knee injury

1 Like

Yeah for sure but I’m of the belief it usually takes until the 2nd year after the big injury before they’re back to normal. How he looks this year will be telling.

1 Like

Up to this year, he’s never been able to trust a play call or blockers.

This is all new for all of them. I wish he had more natural warrior to him, but aside from that, none of the other stuff remotely concerns me. (oops, I’m gonna be labeled a Swift-hater, now). :wink:

1 Like

They SUCKED though. That OL was not good…which is part of the reason Barry was so unpredictable. Granted, he would have been unpredictable anyway, but he was often avoiding ppl who damn near got to the handoff before he did. That’s highly conducive to running for your life. Emmit’s line would have experienced Barry very differently than our group of overrated OL.

1 Like

Unless you’re AP. Torn ACL in December, came back 8 months later and ran for 2097 yards that season. Unreal. That has to be the best comeback from an ACL surgery in the history of pro sports.

4 Likes