This Game Left no doubt who the starter is for the Lions

Moving forward I have no doubt the Lions do not need to draft a QB high. Goff is in the top half of QB’s in the league even with the shitty WR play early in the season. Get him one or 2 top receivers either thru the draft or free agency. No doubt Goff would have won this game today with ease.

5 Likes

what

1 Like

So Goff should be our long term plan because he’s better than Tim Boyle who wasn’t even good in college? This seems flawed.

8 Likes

If the fans paid attention early on, the WR’s were no where to be found, either scheme or whatever. The last few games the same players are getting open and Goff is is on. He hasn’t forgotten how to play here. To draft a high QB you might as well waste one or even 2 more years. People seem to not think about that. I think Goff is good enough and IMO in the top half of the league as a QB

3 Likes

No way Goff is top half of the league. Maybe middle at best. Guess we all have our opinions, I don’t see him as our future. Boyle either

5 Likes

Nope.
Does Goff throw receivers open? Does Goff inspire confidence in the pocket? Does Goff have a feel for pressure in the pocket? Does Goff lock in on his primary receiver? If you are not good at the majority of the above, you better be able to run. Is Goff a good running QB?
Don’t let the pathetic play of an over paid shitty back up be the judge on what we need out of the QB position.
Can Goff be a decent game Mgr. of a good running team. Yes, many QB’s can. Is this what you want in a QB?

2 Likes

If anything, this game showed that Boyle isn’t a quality backup QB at this level.

6 Likes

Top half is at the very most, middle, come on man

No to Goff as long term answer here.

4 Likes

I guess everyone in here that doesn’t like Goff excepts the fact that once they select this do all QB we have a minimum of 2 dead years to get him up the par. That in itself makes me want to puke.

This is where he ranks right now. Keep in mind he didn’t play this week and more than 2/3 the league has stats for this week.

He’s 18th in passing yards.
He’s 12th in completion percentage.
19th in TD’s
He’s 8th in fewest ints.

Mind you there were several games where DC didn’t want to pass and we had no one to catch the ball. He also had to learn a new offense and get acquainted with his WR’s.

Now let’s look at his stats over his last 3 games.

11th in yards.
12th in completion percentage
4th in TD’s per game

I think it’s safe to say he’s in the top half of the league. I think you can say he is even in the top 1/3.

I’m kinda shocked by how many posters want to use all these excuses for why DC wasn’t winning but won’t give Goff the same benefits.

10 Likes

I don’t think QB is in play for our top pick. I doubt they go with QB in the 1st but after that, anything is possible. If a QB they like falls to the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I could see them going for it. We are financially committed to Goff in 2022 but our back up QB situation is terrible. Not capable of winning an NFL game and no real potential for growing into an NFL starter.

2 Likes

I honestly think Boyle played not bad today for a backup. The game ending interception sucked, but he kept us in the game throughout, including finding St. Brown time and time again. He didn’t have either Hock or Swift. I’ve seen much worse performances from backup QB’s. Remember Chase Daniels and Dan Orlovsky, lol

4 Likes

Eh… if a guy you love becomes available, or if there’s a guy who drops with the Rams pick, I hope Jared Goff doesn’t stop you from taking your guy. No need to go crazy to get just anyone, Goff is… sort of okay. But don’t stop from trying to improve.

3 Likes

No, they will be building with Goff starting next year for sure. Maybe even beyond that if he picks his game back up.
But, I guarantee they are evaluating every QB in this draft. And if they like one, I wouldn’t be surprised if they use the Rams first or our second on a QB to develop. But only if they find one they like.
Don’t forget, Campbell has stated that he doesn’t believe you have to have absolutely the best QB in the league to win a Super Bowl.

3 Likes

we really need a back up quarter back–either thru free agency–low round draft --udfa—or billy’s bar and grill

1 Like

And I can take 3 games to show you that Nick Foles is the best QB in the league… you can’t pick and choose. Fans love to project from tiny samples… I remember Kevin Smith was going to be a top back because he had like a great 6 game stretch we in like his 1st or second year. Ignoring the fact that he saw ridiculously light boxes by bad defenses For a few games in a row

1 Like

Here is the hole in your post. Goff was in a Super Bowl, Goff was a pro Bowl QB. He does have a history of winning in this league.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t use these as defense of Goff. I hope he is the long term solution. But he was on a very good team. He didn’t play particularly well in that playoff run. Pro bowl is a popularity contest and not based on actual merit sometimes…no no further then stafford and Kyler Murrey. Stafford almost doubles Murrey’s output but murrey got the nod.

My stance is I think the Lions brought him in thinking he could be the solution and need to build a solid team around him in order for that to occur. My stance hasn’t changed. They do need a better backup.

1 Like

Need one is debatable especially when you look at Goff’s recent games