This rebuild could take 3-4 years minimum

I know yesterday was only one game, but it was surprising to see how bad this team was in the first half especially and the second half was not enough of a sample size to know going forward how this team will perform. One thing that I was hoping to see that showed any improvement was the defense, but from what I saw it didn’t look promising at all. Still didn’t see a ton of pressure and the 49ers still almost averaged 5 yards a carry. The secondary was pretty bad and now that Okudah is done I just don’t see this team as being relevant for years to come.

Assuming Detroit nails most of their draft picks from this year and the next few and hits most of their FA pickups, then maybe in 2-3 years, but I have to be realistic in my expectation and I don’t know if I can continue to watch this team right now as it feels the same as previous years.

The one positive I took from yesterdays game is the run game, there seemed to be some nice holes to run through and maybe once Decker returns it will continue to improve. I just don’t see Goff as the answer right now either. Maybe he improves as the year goes on and next year barring drafting a QB high and he gets better talent around him it could change things.

I really hope I’m wrong as I usually try to stay positive every offseason, but after one game it already feels like I’ve seen this movie before. Especially after seeing how good Stafford looked yesterday.

1 Like

If it takes 3-4 years then we hired the wrong guys.

18 Likes

Agreed and that would make it even more depressing since Campbell signed a long term contract.

I’m still hoping for 5-6 wins this year and flirt with .500 next year.

Between our cap situation and draft capital we should be able to make serious improvement in short order if we choose the right guys.

2 Likes

You didn’t hire anyone so no committing Hari Kari for you

But yeah if you use the Browns as a template, it really took that long. Of course they had an ownership change too.

Yeah. They also struggled to find a legitimate starting QB. I’m confident that we have one.

The Browns Regime prior to Dorsey also went hard in the Sam Heinke extreme tank direction. I don’t believe that will opt for that strategy.

Squeezing 6 wins out of this roster would be an accomplishment.

4 Likes

What would his “cap hit” be if they fired him?

Wait… I have been informed it would be zero… but it would just cost the Ford family a few million bucks.

Care Less Over It GIF by Holly Logan

Sorry… not taking a personal shot… just my frustration towards the history of ownership…

1 Like

It took a full 8 years after they dumped a Quinn to see results.

No, the Browns had several failures in a row followed by a single year (the new coaching regime’s first, by the way) of a winning record.

Run game was a very very nice surprise.

3 Likes

I do not see us getting 6 wins after yesterday’s showing.

1 Like

Wow. That’s a Brady bunch of years

Shade received.

But I put it to you Greg that the Browns are all the way back. They choked that win at Arrowhead to death yesterday and left a Cleveland steamer at the 50 yard line. They are all the way back.

But seriously, they have a playoff team again no question.

I just need to see more before I’m ready to make any sort of assessment.

I like that the team didn’t just roll over after SF beat the brakes off of them for the first 30 minutes.

I don’t like that we didn’t seem to have any tactical advantage from scheming. Now, getting outcoached by Kyle Shanahan isn’t necessarily the end of the world, but I think we need to see improvement on this front.

5 Likes

I think we can get to 3-3 in the division. Not sure if we will but I think it’s possible. Then 2 of ATL, Cinci., Phil and maybe one surprise. That’s in the realm of possibility.

The roster is definitely league worst thanks to Quinn.

1 Like

I’m not arguing that the Browns won’t have a competitive team this year.

I’m arguing that their “blueprint” of floundering for years before being good doesn’t justify the idea that NFL coaching regimes need 3+ years of free pass.

2 Likes

Bottom five. I don’t think it’s worse than Houston or perhaps Jax.

This is 100% fair.