This should be fun

Yep. And it was after we self-imposed as well. Maybe not to the level of Arizona (can’t remember), but it was just as much as Kansas did. That part I remember cause it was constantly brought up.

Kansas was pretty explicit they would go full UNC if forced to.

At the very least surely we at least made those threats? We’re not Kansas or UNC level at basketball, but we’re much better at football and that’s what drives the money.

I will say it’s interesting that we were the only school of the 5 that cooperated 100% with the NCAA. The others fought them at every turn and because of it, were eventually allowed to use the Independent Accountability Review Process to adjudicate their case. (I guess this is used when cases get complex? The info out there is pretty nebulous).

Anyway, they found none of them guilty. We were the school with the tamest allegations levied against us, and yet the only one to be punished. To call it a miscarriage of justice is an understatement.

But we should have known the NCAA needs to flex its muscles now and again in cases like this.

I remember a football player on a full scholarship was put on probation by the NCAA because a coach gave him 5 dollars to do his laundry. This was in the 70’s. Kids from impoverish family’s have had their scholarship revoked because a booster paid for a plane ticket so they could attend a parents funeral.

There’s a special place in hell for some of those power hungry SOB’s.

1 Like

Yeah back then they actually had power over collegiate sport. And they wielded it authoritatively. Hence the SMU death penalty. They lost it in the 80s, though they’re still allowed to hand down their draconian punishments to schools who aren’t too big to fail.

1 Like