This vid makes me think we take a OT in the 1rst “Why Goff isn’t the problem in LA”

I understand that, again though, why draft someone who has played on the left side his entire career and move him to the right side. Yes blocking is blocking, but techniques are different, slide steps are opposite, hand punches, lead steps, etc. Switching sides is harder than most people understand

For sure, especially if th discrepancy is large.
Just hoping that, if all things considered are fairly equal, I’d lean this direction.

I remember when people were saying Aaron Donald was too short.

You referencing Slater. Personally I think he’ll be terrific whenever you put him. That being said it wouldn’t surprise me if Darrisaw ended up being the number 2OT. Both are great prospects and would be #1OTs in some draft years.

Tristan Wirfs was the 4th OT off the board last year, the only reason he started RT at IOWA was because Jackson couldn’t play, (was too stupid), to make the change to RT. Wirfs ended the season with a ring and his stats were off the chart. If you’re sold on taking an OT in this draft, and I’m not, I would take Adrian Ealy. He started RT for Oklahoma and has size, 6’6" 341. Either 2nd pick in the 3rd or our 4th rounder.

Because in Sewell’s case, he’s a super-elite, generational prospect. Also OT is the best value you can draft in the 1st round with the lowest bust rate. Personally I’d just as soon wait until the 2nd and draft one of Walker Little, Eichenberg, Radunz or Spencer Brown, but hopefully after a trade down when we’ve added a second 2nd round pick.

First let me say I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Cincy passes on Sewel and I think MIA, ATL and PHI might be tempted. I don’t think he makes it to us.

But to answer your question

I think Decker moves to RT - He played RT and LT at OSU so it should not be hard for him to slide over.

Sewell should be a stud from season one at LT.

The 20s version of Anthony Munoz.

1 Like

Generally, I agree, but they may be tempted by reuniting Jamarr Chase with Burrow. To me, it’s going to come down to those two.

This is just not true at all. Just because a “few” teams put their best pass rusher on the QB’s right side, does not make it “a thing,” let alone anywhere near the position difference being “virtually nonexistent.” MOST QB’s are right handed and MOST teams rush their best pass rush EDGE player from the QB’s blind side MOST of the time. It’s like saying Trey Flowers is just as much a 3t DT as he is a RDE because he slides inside at times. He’s not and LT’s are indeed a more valuable commodity than RT’s are. Not saying at all that RT isn’t important. But no you do not draft a top 10 OA OT with the belief that he is your RT now and for the future.

1 Like

The Eagles did with Lane Johnson. The Titans did with Jack Conklin. The WTFers did with Scherff, then moved him inside. The 49ers did with McGlinchey. The Bucs did with Wirfs (granted he wasn’t top ten, but he would have been in a normal OT year). If the Bengals draft Sewell, Jonah Williams will shift to the right side. It happens pretty regularly.

I admit thought that LT is still a little more important than RT on the whole because most QBs are right-handed and it’s their blind side. But you can no longer line a plodder up on the right side of the line and consider it good enough. Defensive coordinators will shift their best rushers over there and abuse the guy. They’re too smart for it.

So maybe RT isn’t quite as important, but it’s still plenty important enough to spend a high-value pick on, especially in today’s NFL.

1 Like

Yes that is true, my whole argument is don’t draft a guy who plays extensively on the left side and just assume he can transition to the right side and be effective, because a lot of them cannot

Interesting point.

Maybe they wait until round two and take Marshall instead and take Sewell round one.

I believe most of them can, especially the elite guys. There are so, so many examples, from Jedrick Wills to Lane Johnson, etc… In fact the only ones I can remember who failed also failed at the side they were supposed to be good on, like Greg Robinson. Basically, they were busts.

I’m still unsure of what exactly happened there. I get the pass pro stuff. That was always a concern but he was off the charts dominant in the run game his last year in college. I would argue even in a sort of freakish way. And yet that never materialized in the NFL. His college career indicated his floor was one sided player that you’d try in hide in pass pro bc he’s so dominant in the run game. Yet that never happened. I assume he got paid and just preferred being rich to playing football but I don’t know that.

I remember the Lions drafting Aaron Gibson, Stockar McDougle, and Jeff Backus in back to back to back years in the 1st round. Where did that get us? Also, since the last time we selected a receiver in the 1st round (Calvin Johnson), we’ve selected 3 offensive tackles, and we haven’t selected a receiver as high as the 2nd round since 2012. If we select an offensive lineman for our deepest unit while not selecting one of the top 3 receivers, because of the false narrative “we always select receivers high, SOL” when we are bereft of receiver talent, my head will explode.

This years example would be Alairic Jackson, who played 4 years at LT for IOWA. Tristen Wirffs would have played LT but Jackson couldn’t make the switch to the right side. Jackson is likely to get drafted on Day 3 and maybe not until the 5th or 6th round.

Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa

In an offensive tackle group that is short on elite talent, the Senior Bowl hosted both potential early starters in contention for first-round picks and NFL depth pieces whose draft projections are unclear. Among that latter group, Alaric Jackson of Iowa is an intriguing offensive lineman who has been discussed as a possible guard/tackle swing player. That said, his performance in Senior Bowl week did not meet expectations. Jackson was inaccurate with his initial punches which forced him into a recovery position early in the snap. What’s more, he consistently played with a high pad level and allowed contact to his frame. Jackson also exhibited a poor anchor early in the week. With all that said, the Iowa product improved from day one to day two and further progressed from day two to day three. Still, the senior’s impressive flashes were separated by stretches of underwhelming play. Despite his concerning performance at the Senior Bowl, Alaric Jackson is a probable draft-selection come April who could develop into a reserve swing lineman.

I think he could start and as much as I respect the Hawkeye’s ability to coach up OL prospects, I think Jackson could do better with better coaching.

Cleveland drafted Jedrick Willis at 10, isn’t he playing RT? I know Wirfs plays RT for Tampa, he was drafted 13th. So while there is a difference playing LT and RT, I think most view an elite OT as having the capacity to play on either side with a possible learning curve.

Actually I think both those guys played RT in college

Keep going. A handful of situations does not a “non-existent” difference make. That designation was all I was really questioning.
We’ll see where the young guys end up. If their max is RT, then IMHO they were a bad selection if they were taken in the top 10.