Thought this LB article was interesting

I completely agree a cover LB should be in play.

1 Like

Should have been in play every year for the last 10 years.

2 Likes

I’d like to point out a couple things.

1st. JACK is an established term in football. It refers to a 3-4’s Outside Linebacker on the offensive weakside. The Outside Linebacker on it’s strong side is a SAM.

2nd. If you were going to label Kennard’s snaps accordingly, he would be a SAM most snaps by virtue of the defensive left being typically the offense’s Strong side.

3rd. When he does finally call Kennard a SAM, it’s in the role a 4-3 SAM usually sees.

4th. It’s tough as heck to chart snaps on the Lions because of the changing roles from snap to snap, so I have to give Eric credit for his effort. If I were to do it, I’d chart by technique instead. (0-9)

5th. That same variability is seen with the MIKE as sometimes he’s dropping into the deep middle zone for coverage, which is typical of some 4-3’s (Tampa 2) but not typical of a 3-4’s MIKE. Typically the MIKE and WILL in a 3-4 is going to be able to go head up on a Guard because they’re uncovered by the 3 down lineman. (in a “typical” 3-4, that is). That’s a different type of skillset between 3-4 LB’s and 4-3 LB’s. One is larger and able to take on a 300+ lb blocker while the other will usually possess more sideline to sideline quickness.

3 Likes