Thoughts and observations

Hopefully he learns from that and we get a big play later in the season from the same play… agree if he waited just a second longer and looked he was wide open, and he had time, at least another second or two

1 Like

I thought Ben was pretty wretched yesterday. In general he’s been fantastic but I was not a fan of the game he called yesterday.

2 Likes

This is such a pet peeve of mine and funny you bring up Madden because that’s what I think of when I see passes short of the first down on 3rd and 4th is Madden questioning why teams do this.

2 Likes

I thought he called a good game considering how limited he was. No deep threat without chark. St brown only played a handful and was clearly bothered. No swift. Even Reynolds isn’t 100%. That leaves you Williams and hockenson. Except belichick made it his gameplan to take away hockenson. So Johnson had to essentially beat a belichick defense with Reynolds, Raymond and Kennedy.

1 Like

This has been consistent with Goff and why I’m not ready to crown him like others have.

I’m doubtful. I was waiting to see a change/development in Goff’s swag. But this is the other side of what I’m waiting to see and still haven’t.

We all question it. All you have to do is run one more yard upfield and make your break!

2 Likes

This came up in another thread and I tried to find examples of him saying it on YouTube and couldn’t find any…

But yes I can hear it in my head now, he said it all the time! “I don’t understand why on a 3rd and 4, you run a route short of the first down, doesn’t make any sense to me.” Or something like that. And he was so right, especially if you only need 3-5 yards! What’s the difference between running a 3 yard route vs a 4 yard route? Or a 4 yard vs a 5?

Drove me crazy then, and still drives me crazy now. I specifically remember him saying it during lions games where it would be 3rd and 2 and we’d run a screen play or something :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes
  • The fourth and 1 with Jamaal as fullback was moronic. As Vilma mentioned it tipped the D off but it also took away Jamaal’s vision. (If we’re going with that look. Have Jackson deep and fake the dive and quick pitch it to JJ).
  • I hated the 4th and 1 run with Justin Jackson. Just not a good match of personnel’s strength to the play call and situation
    -I disliked the multiple passes to a hobbled St. short of the sticks (though I don’t know if he was intended to be read 1 or if JG checked down to quick)

Furthermore I just didn’t see much creativity… We were too dependent on things that were on film. I would’ve have liked to see JG on the move more given that pass pro was porous. I also would’ve like to see a lot more in the screen game. I had other complaints in real time but I swear my grievances at the TV rather than taking notes

4 Likes

It drives me bat shit crazy. Aside from the obvious reasons it takes away one of St’s best attributes which is coming back to the ball. Need two yards then run a five yard route so you have that ability still.

3 Likes

Agree for sure on the Williams run… it would’ve been a huge play if they pitched that to whoever, they telegraphed that play for sure

1 Like

Ben Johnson in his 5th game as OC with subs and hobbled weapons got shut down by Bill Belicheck. I think the offense will be productive when he gets his players back.
Somebody needs to try and get through to Dan that sometimes the risk of failing on 4th down is worth considering. Putting the defense out on a short field regularly is not gonna ever get it done. he talks about pick sixes, what about him giving the other team points? I like you Dan, don’t make us start calling you Dumbo.

3 Likes

Or Danbo

4 Likes

Well said and this is the biggest issue I had from yesterday, so frustrating

1 Like

Thought and observation…
The Detroit Lions organization is still on the hook for Matt Patricia’s salary. How demoralizing was it, I wonder, for the Lions to watch their old guy take their new guy’s lunch?

2 Likes

Then kick sand in his face

1 Like

I have found comfort in the probable reality he had very little to do with any of that game.

He can still suck it

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.