Thursday Night Snoozefest

I swear Thursday night games are almost all snoozefests. I don’t know if it’s the unappealing matchups, the lack of preparation in the short week, or what, but I wish the NFL would move on. The games suck, the fans hate it, the players really hate it… Let college have Thursday night.

1 Like

For most years it seemed like a gimmick and functions mainly as a way to get bad teams some prime time games without having to put them on the more heavily watched slots like SNF and MNF. I thought it took a turn in 2017 when they seemed to have better matchups scheduled, in particular division games.

Last year was the best year for TNF, as far as I’m concerned. The Browns comeback win over the Jets and Baker’s debut…Vikings vs Rams in a shootout…Patriots vs Colts…Packers vs Seahawks…Cowboys taking down the Saints…Titans vs Jaguars wasn’t compelling on paper, but that’s the game Derrick Henry had the 99 yard run and 4 TDs…and Chargers vs Chiefs in an epic win for Los Angeles.

Fast forward to this season and it looks like its back to how it used to be, just a filler game to get bad teams on primetime. The only compelling games I see for the entire season are Eagles vs Packers, Rams vs Seahawks and Cowboys vs Bears.

1 Like

Agree 100%. The only way to get TNF to work is the two teams having the bye week the Sunday before. That translates to only 7 or 8 Matchups.

1 Like

The fewer games like what we saw last night, the better.

1 Like

Cam had a 2yr run of elite play, other than that he’s been average at the very best. Rivera has had 3 winning seasons vs 6 losing ones. His best 2 were the cam MVP level years. If you want sol… he’s your man. Both coach and qb are very overrated

It certainly appears that way. I wonder if part of his regression is due to getting the type of pressure is that typical quote unquote pocket passers quarterbacks that don’t present the type of running threat that he did earlier in his career. He definitely did not look like the same quarterback when facing heavy pressure.

1 Like

That could be part of it.

It’s a little weird that he’s trying to change his throwing motion at this age, AND is now on a vegan diet. He looked tiny compared to years past.

1 Like

And more importantly he played tiny as well.

1 Like

Thursday night games would work if the league switched to 2 byes and made it an 18 week schedule. The Thursday night teams would need to have a bye the week before. The quality of the games really suck.

2 Likes

I’d be fine with extending the season for some extra bye weeks. Besides being good for the health of the players, it would make the quality of play of the field better. Guys who get hurt early in the season would have a better chance of coming back for the playoffs, and the NFL freaking loves the drama of the star player fighting to get back in time for the playoffs.

1 Like

Something tells me both Cam & Riverboat Ron will be gone next season:

1 Like

Cam doesn’t even look like he wants to be there. The Panthers would be better off with a backup QB that can actually hit over 50% of his throws.

Did you see the get up Cam had on before the game…good Lord I think he is having a mid career crisis.

2 Likes

Cam has always dressed like that. I am not quite sure why people hate the guy. He has never done anything off the field to get himself in trouble. He does a lot of great things in the community.
He’s not the greatest QB around for sure. He does have an MVP award and was All Pro 1x. Not many guys can say that.

I can’t see him playing for more than another year. His body is damaged, he isn’t enjoying himself, and he has interests outside of football.

He’s had 2 surgeries on his throwing shoulder in the past two years. Changing it may be the only way he can prolong his career. The diet may help with inflammation and help reduce the swelling and pain in his shoulder. It sucks getting old.

1 Like

True, but he looked like he lost 20 lbs – not the greatest strategy for a guy often put in harm’s way. (Oddly enough, not on 4th and inches lastnight.)

You’re probably right about the throwing motion, but he’s missing guys by so much, I think there’s still got to be a problem with his foot.

No kidding, man. I swear I’m 33 going on 64.

1 Like

It still beats the alternative guys. LOL I’m 60 and my youngest son of five children is 34. :slight_smile:

2 Likes