Tim Boyle "wants to come back to Detroit:

Why waste picks on a back up if your keeping TB? It’s seems they will.

My bigger curiosity is Blough.

What up with him!?!

Keep him or let him go?

Both these guys have value as they already are part of the system and no know it

1 Like

They are floating all right. Boyles and his mother suck.

If Blough impressed the coaches, he’d have played by now. He must be brutal in practices.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure it’s that, it may be that he limits their ideal game plan of pounding the rock, then threatening deep, forcing opponents to defend the whole field, not just dink-and-dunks.

2 Likes

You gotta remember Boyle missed 8 weeks with a broken thumb, so Blough got tons of reps in practice for 2 months.

And yet, as soon as Boyle’s thumb was healthy, boom he starts with 3 days of practice. That tells me all I need to know.

Plus, we saw Blough start 4 games already in 2019, he was below average, nothing special. I’ll take Boyle over Blough from what I’ve seen in their NFL careers so far. Both are nothing special though, neither is Goff, lol.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Everyone wants to use a late round pick on another QB who has the same traits as Boyle??!

If we want to improve our QB room, keep Boyle as our 3rd stringer and sign Mariotta as our backup and save the draft pick.

3 Likes

That’s an idea I could get behind. We would have some depth and a QB than can run finally! Which comes in very handy in short yardage situations.

Our talented O-line and solid RB’s with a mobile QB could be a lethal combo.

Not everyone. Is our Golladay comp pick a late round pick? If so, I’d take Bailey Zappe there and he’s a bit different from Boyle.

Disgusted Dislike GIF by Willie Jones

I know it’s only a backup QB talking here but it’s nice to hear when players want to play somewhere and I think it’s pretty evident Campbell is a coach players are going to want to play for. Will undoubtedly help us in free agency and we won’t have to limit ourselves to guys that are used to the “patriot way”.

2 Likes

I would rather use that pick to trade up from #34 into the 1st round than to buy a lotto ticket on a QB at the end of round #3…. or trade up from the Rams pick if the right player is available in the early 20s.

That’s the thing. We already have 2 QB’s that are “meh”. They’ve had their shots but haven’t really developed into anything. One needs to go. One needs to get replaced with a rookie that has “potential” to be a starter or back up. Your rook can be your #3 guy that “may” develop, or may not. If they do, you have the potential for 1-2 years of QB on the cheap. If they don’t, you didn’t use that much draft capital (3rd or later pick). Most 3rd or later aren’t expected to be first year starters. A 3rd or later QB goes into camp as the #3 guy at best and has the opportunity to impress the staff enough to move up to #2 at some point during the season.

Mid season and Goff goes down, you make a decision (based on your record thus far and the progress of your #2 and #3 QB’s) on who starts the rest of the way. That 3rd or later QB gives you “hope”. That is mostly all we’ve had around here up until this point in our lives as Lions fans.

The quarterback wishers shouldn’t be getting their hopes up.

I think there’s a >90% chance that there is no QB picked in our first four picks. Probably >70% that there is no QB drafted at all by the Lions.

I’m very confident that Holmbell is ride or die with Goff for 2022.

I’m also pretty sure that they won’t deem any of the other picks as being most effectively used on the quarterback position. I’m less sure of that, but the gaping holes on this team everywhere makes it seem likely.

1 Like

Using former Lions backups, like Orlivski, McMahon, Ty Detmer, etc, isn’t a good yardstick for maintaining the standard of expectation lol😂 j/k.

Even if the replacement gives you the same performance, you save on cap space. This, perhaps, gives you a better quality starter in free agency. For example, you resign Boyle and he throws another interception, the following play the defense gives up a long bomb on a play covered by Will Harris. Now in another dimension, the Lions replace Boyle with a 6th round pick making the minimum, he still throws an interception, but because the team saved the salary cap money, they were able to outbid and land a playmaker who intercepted the pass that Will Harris would have covered. Same performance, different outcome.

1 Like

I want Boyle here in 2022 for the vet. minimum. He turns 28 in October and now he has game experience in this system. Bring in another young arm to fight in camp with Tim but I think Tim did alright here. He learned. He looked bad at times, he grew over time, he had moments where he looked very good and he will be affordable. He also knows this system now.

The QB position group right now isn’t the reason the Lions lost games overall in 2021. I cannot say with a straight face that a Matthew Stafford would have had a much better record with this team and all the injuries. The main issue with this group is DEFENSE and then WR as well as health.

Tim is a capable back up for 2022 as long as he has to beat out a couple other arms in camp.

4 Likes

Spot on. Boyle has not been good, but he has been serviceable and has progressed every game. Give him another year in the system and another year to grow. As long as hes cheap I’m good with it. Now like you mentioned in no way do you hand his the back-up job. Bring is competition in the form of another cheap FA or draft pick and let the best man be the #2.

1 Like

TC
Don’t really think that’s much of an point
Incremental $ needed to get Boyle back is minimal vs late round QB
I think it’s important that he’s had a year in the system to develop — that has value
With a new guy, you’re starting from scratch

Also, there is the opportunity cost of not picking a player for a roster filled with needs

Unless they decide to give up on the Boyle development project, he will be back — and no doubt they’ll raise expectations another notch

Boyle is well aware of his shortcomings
It’s up to him to maximize his potential

1 Like

If one million in difference ( because no one resigns for just the minimum) causes you to miss out, it’s the wrong move. I’ve watched this guy, and he has accuracy issues even on the passes where the receiver manages to miraculously reel it in. Take it from personal experience, you can have a 96 mph arm, but if you can’t nail accuracy, it’s meaningless. Accuracy issues aren’t just a matter of reps, more often than not, they’re unsolvable in the most frustrating way for everyone involved.

I’d take a below caliber arm that can pinpoint it, over a loose cannon any day of the week and twice on Tuesday. There’s room in the league for a Jeff “Rainbow Brite” Blake, but not Wild Thing.

charlie sheen baseball GIF by Comedy Central
That’s Boyle

Can accuracy be taught? My general opinion is it cannot. The reason being is that accuracy is about muscle memory, brain mapping, and twitch that some people are born with and some aren’t. Something akin to great surgeons that can make a precise cut, time and again, like a robot.

There are things that affect accuracy like mechanics, placement targeting, and timing that can be coached to improve accuracy. I don’t think these have as much of an impact as the players innate capability.

Goff has always been very accurate from a high school level and his mechanics + experience have changed a bunch. Same with Rodgers. You should have seen the crazy mechanics Rodgers had in college versus now, but he was always pin point accurate.

If a guy comes out of college inaccurate, and has years in the league and is inaccurate… I don’t think you will ever fix that. Boyle will cut down on the mental errors and gain confidence in time. This will reduce the bad throws and INTs but I don’t think he will ever have the accuracy that Goff/Rodgers do, even with a stronger arm.

P.S. In the case of ‘wild thing’, they fixed his vision. By my estimation, he always had the accuracy, just not the vision to use it.

3 Likes