Titus Davis, ex-college star WR and brother of Titans' Corey Davis, dies of cancer at 27

Titus Davis, ex-college star WR and brother of Titans’ Corey Davis, dies of cancer at 27

Barry Werner

November 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Titus Davis, a former New York Jet, Central Michigan star, and brother of the Tennessee Titans’ Corey Davis, died Wednesday at the age of 27.

In July 2020 Titus Davis was diagnosed with renal medullary carcinoma, a rare kidney cancer.

Titus Davis played at Central Michigan University from 2011-14. For his college career, he had 204 receptions and broke school records with 3,700 yards and 37 touchdowns, both of which were previously held by Antonio Brown.

Davis scored a touchdown on a remarkable play in the Bahamas Bowl, arguably the most memorable in Central Michigan history.

Davis was a four-time All-MAC selection and a freshman All American. Davis was the first player in NCAA FBS history with 8 or more receiving touchdowns in four seasons.

Davis went undrafted after college but briefly caught on with several teams’ practice squads, including the San Diego Chargers, New York Jets (twice), Buffalo Bills, and Chicago Bears.

Per the Detroit News:

Family and friends announced the illness in July in a GoFundMe post. He began chemotherapy in late July, flying to and from treatments in Houston. The average survival after diagnosis is less than a year.

His death was announced on Twitter by Miami Dolphins safety and Grand Rapids native Kavon Frazier, a teammate of Davis’ at Central Michigan. He called the receiver, “Still to this day one of the most talented players I’ve played with.”

“I’m heartbroken by the loss of Titus, who was first and foremost an outstanding person,” Dan Enos, Davis’ coach at CMU who now is on staff at Cincinnati, said in a statement to The News. “On the field, he was a phenomenal athlete and competitor. He was also a great friend and teammate to many.”

There was grief via condolences on social media.

Horrible thing to happen to anyone, but especially robbing gifted , great people of life.
I had cancer I feel a direct need to speak on this thread. I say Rest In Peace Young Man…you will be missed.

1 Like