Too Overlooked

“Cephus was a fifth-round rookie who showed flashes but didn’t provide much fantasy value. He doesn’t profile as an elite prospect, but he is a dynasty stash because of the opportunity he is about to get. In his very first game, he was able to get on the field, albeit due to other wide receiver injuries. He had an 81.7% snap share along with ten targets and two red-zone looks. Cephus was tenth among wide receivers in aDot (Average Depth of Target) with 14.5, fifth in yards per reception (17.4), tenth in yards per target (10.0), first in average cushion (4.62), and eleventh in target separation (2.11). While his fantasy output was nothing to write home about, his advanced analytics showed he has hidden potential.”

His lack of speed did not hinder any of those stats, all “down field”. His only bad game last year was his first game. Why they didn’t use him more in a lost season is beyond me. Those numbers were similar to what I remember from watching him play in college.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Cephus can play this game. He is the asset that allows us to pass on WR in rd1. He is going to play in 2021.

I still want a WR in rd. 2 or 3. And then I think ghix core can be effective.

2 Likes

He reminds me a lot of a player like Jason Avant. I live near Philly so I tend to watch a good amount of Eagles games and that guy was so indispensable. He did all the grunt work for them and anytime they needed that first down on 3rd and 7, he was the guy making the tough catch and taking a big shot. He lacked speed, but he was just so crafty and tough and just wanted the ball more then the defender. I think Cephus can be that type of guy.

With that said though, every single player we added at WR is a speed guy. Brad Holmes is big on analytics. The analytics do not like Cephus.

I just don’t know how they are going to view him.

1 Like

See if you can find Cooper Kupp’s numbers, he only excelled in the shuttle.

I liked how everyone thought he was a bad football player because he couldn’t run .3 seconds faster in a straight line at the combine.

You do have a point in Kupp, so maybe Holmes is open to a WR like Cephus. Before free agency I thought he would definitely have a shot to carve out a role in the WR corps, but to see them add all this speed has me questioning it.

1 Like

I think Quinn had an eye for WR’s and that Cephus will be a keeper.

That’s an interesting comp. I can see that.

Are you saying he’s a number 1 ?

I’m extremely high on Cephus. He has a big body and great hands. Played well his rookie yr. I expect him to have a decent season hes a possession receiver that I think Goff will count on frequently

1 Like

I think of Wayne Chrebet when I see Cephus. Solid possession guy. Could be a really good number 2.

2 Likes

No, just that he is a good football player.

This team doesn’t need a stud Calvin Johnson/Golladay to win. We need a well-built WR core filled with guys who can make plays.

Think about this:
Three signed WRs so far all are tall deep threats. 15+ YPC guys. The we have Cephus. Add a talented piece to this puzzle in rd. 2 or 3 and this can be a very effective group.

I would LOVE a top stud WR…but in 2021 that doesn’t HAVE to come from rd. 1. There will be a really solid WR available in rd. 2 or 3 that will make this WR group better.

1 Like

What good consistent playoff caliber team doesn’t have a good clear WR1?

The Ravens don’t count. Lamar and that running offense cancels that out.

1 Like

I don’t quite see that upside in him. To me he profiles much more like a big slot. Similar to what Anquan Boldin was for us when he was at the end of his career. That isn’t meant to be a knock either, there is definitely a role for guys like that.

1 Like

It reads like if lions draft a stud WR like KG in the third

They don’t need him to develop into a 1

Under BQ the WRs the lions just signed to team friendly short deals ended up being players who weren’t even a lock for the roster cut before camp or a couple weeks into the season.

Whenever the Calvin comparison on not needing a stud to be effective comes up
It just makes me think how much more effective and longer Calvin career could’ve been had they
Signed Tate and MJJ drafted KG sooner
Or maybe if Stafford worked with a QB guru earlier in his career …

The injury red flags , even if cheaper than KG still seem to be there with the new signings.

Cephus could be a piece or cut as a late round prospect who doesn’t fit their vision as well as this years fifth round pick …

And rumors had them looking to add st WR

Potential hall of famer one of toughest guys in nfl is a high bar to clear for Cephus.

I agree. We don’t need a diva, mega high priced, fragile WR complaining about his targets and contract on twitter.

We need someone strong, quick, who can play slot WR.

Balance is key and you need really good players. Point is good players can be found later at WR. AND that Cephus is also a good player.

Past that point great teams often spread the ball around. The Patriots never really had that Calvin kind of WR. The Seahawks had a balanced WR core. The Saints lived for years without a true killer WR…they had a great TE. They have Thomas now but he was injured most of the season and they did well without that.

The Packers for years had good not great at WR. Adams may be their best WR in years. Nelson may be their best and he ain’t Calvin. The Rams tried to get studs in Watkins and Cooks but neither guy was worth the $ they paid.

Overall it is more important to be built well with good players all around. If one is Calvin great…but if one has good to solid everywhere at WR combined with good to great at TE and RB you can win that way.

With Hock and Swift/Williams and the WRs we have that is a solid foundation. Add at least one more good WR there and you can win with that group and that WR doesn’t have to be our 1st rd pick partially because Cephus, Perriman and Tyrell Williams are a fine base/group to build from.

Uhh, they had a guy some consider better than Calvin for a while.

Doug Baldwin/Tyler Lockett

While true, they didn’t have Tyrell Williams/Breshad Perriman level guys either.

Yeah, but he was exponentially better than anyone we have. And you’re right, they also had Adams.