Top 30 visits?

This is interesting. Seems turdish. But if he passes the sniff test the dude can make plays. Better Theo Riddick would be my preferred approach with him.

Unless that’s a pun off his first name (for which I must give minor props), I’ve heard nothing but solid stuff about the kid’s character.

PFN : A coach’s dream (does ALL the dirty work)

Used as a sniffer and is a willing run blocker against LARGE humans

Experience at both WR and RB

Very willing pass protector

1 Like

It actually wasn’t. Shame on me. That’s my usual wheelhouse.

He got caught with pot and guns in his car IIRC

So did Nabors and he’s likely going 5th or whatever

But if you told me Ainias Smith became one of the league’s better option route merchants that wouldn’t shock me. I just think that’s a skillset we’re pretty full up on the moment.

I stand corrected. Please see amended report:

does ALL the dirty work

Looks like we are bringing (or already brought) Sione Vaki in for a visit. You should like that plenty @CuriousHusker.

3 Likes

Also looks like Rakestraw’s coming:

2 Likes

ACL injury
Physical in run support
Nobody here picks him to be our pick

Seems like he’s a lock at 29

4 Likes

I would be quite displeased by that but admittedly I’m lower on him than most. I’m not all that worried about a 30 visit though. I posted a comment from a former Chargers employee who said it mostly means a team wants to do further medicals.

1 Like

…but you don’t need further medicals on players you aren’t considering.

If it will buoy your spirits I suggest you do what I’m doing and view this through the prism of, “OMG, YES, we’re totally trading back into the 2nd round.”

1 Like

Anything’s possible. Like Sheila could be hiding kidney disease and we’re using our top 30 visits for organ harvesting intel.
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sure, to the extent that only a very few guys are already OFF their board. But NFL teams go above and beyond to gather information.

Here is the thing I posted earlier:

Unless of course we trade up from 61…

Doesn’t look like it was a visit, but close enough:

1 Like

Over the last two years only 4 of 45 reported top 30 visits have become Lions. I’ll worry about it later.

1 Like

Brad is on the record saying they only use top 30 visits for players they still have outstanding questions about. In my mind, this makes it less likely that we’ll draft these players.

2 Likes

There are many other ways to interact or research draft candidates than Top 30 visits.
Even though some players say they had not met with a team before being drafted,
I guarantee no 1st rd pick is selected without some form of research.
In person game scouting, meetings at All Star games, combine meetings, Pro Day scouting and meetings, interviews with coaches and teammates, even private investigators.
Holmes and the Lions are better at keeping meetings quiet but they make sure the players they select will fit the culture they have built.

No one’s claiming they were. Just that 30 visits specifically tell very little of the story.

1 Like

For guys who were at the combine, I agree. Guys who weren’t there are more likely imo because it’s our first chance to look at them in depth. I’m sure we met with Boyd and Stiggers at the Shrine Bowl but we wouldn’t have gotten any medicals or in-depth interviews like we could at the combine, for example.

1 Like