Top of 2nd Round

I like this guy if available at top of round 2
Under pressure he keeps looking down field.
Throws the ball BEFORE the receiver is open.
Has ability to run.
For a guy 6’1", he’s tough.
Works through his progressions fast.

2 Likes

I like him. My only issue is after watching him his arm is good enough but he doesnt have the cannon.

I think I like Ridder and Willis more because they have a better arm.

The best part of having the first pick in the second round is having 24 hours to make the best decision possible, whether that is a player or a trade.

1 Like

Yes, I like Willis too. He can hit any defender anywhere on the field.

To put things into perspective, I wish we had the draft ammo that the Jets or Eagles have.

You have to play the long-game sometimes.

Quick decision making is critical in a good QB. Howell is a quick processer.
Who has more all around talent, Justin Fields or Mac Jones? Who’s the better QB?
Give me Jones everyday and twice on Sunday.

1 Like

I don’t want any of the QBs this year, but if I HAD to take one, Howell at the top of the 2nd would be my preference. I was a big fan of Willis at this point last year, but this season has proven he just doesn’t have it as a decision-maker, despite his tantalizing gifts. I think he’s another Josh Freeman/RGIII/Aaron Brooks/Hurts. Great athletes lacking QB skills.

I think once they go through all the testing (combine, pro days etc) Howell will be near the top of the draft class. North Carolina had a down year so he hasn’t been talked about as much. You will see the Willis hype train start up again too imo.

1 Like

Desmond RIdder has a good chance to vault to the top of the QB rankings with a good showing against Alabama.

Question, if you like the kid enough, is it better to try and trade up for the last pick in the first and get an extra year of team control on the rookie contract? :thinking:

I think the fifth-year option is overrated personally. If you don’t know after three years - at which point you generally pay him (a la Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Lamar, Dak, etc…) - then you’re probably not picking up the fifth-year option anyway.

About the only way it makes sense is if you plan on sitting him for awhile like Jordan Love, but I’m already on record about how sitting rookie QBs is bad process, so I hope we don’t go that route.

3 Likes

Having that 5th year option is still a huge negotiation advantage and not over-rated. When you go to “pay him” you have substantially better leverage. You can lock in the 5th year option then you still have tags after that. That extra year of team control is super valuable financially even if it just helps motivate the QB to sign his 2nd deal sooner.

To me if you like a QB you use the Rams pick on one. Or you slightly trade up from the 2nd round.

Baker Mayfield 2.0

2 Likes

No QB this year.

The class coming out next year is exponentially better.

1 Like

I think what you’re saying makes sense, as it applies to QB’s and team leadership, but for another position that doesn’t get the type of positional “respect”, say Safety or ILB, does that fifth year option still carry little value?

Just as an example, let’s say Lloyd from Utah is sitting there at 32, and Holmes and Co really like him, would it make sense for that situation, or does the same logic apply in your opinion?

Wow, you need to expand on this one. I see no similarities from a physical or mental stand point.

Yeah it’s probably the best spot in the draft to lure a trade down. Everyone gets to drool over that 1st round lock that’s fallen and they are now in a position to draft him. Then Holmes has all night to field offers. We should be able to TD just a wee bit and still get the guy we want plus at least a high third rounder. Extra starters are cool.

There’s a good chance Carson strong could be there. If that knee checks out he’s the pick if I’m taking a quarterback.

1 Like

Yeap I like him bring him in sit him behind Goff for a year. Hes about the only one I like, maybe Ridder, but i don’t care for Howell and Willis just scares me.

Same. The extreme boom or bust types usually end up in the bust category. Even if we take strong and he has knee issues and doesn’t work out that’s no different than 90% of our second round picks for the last 20 years. If his knee holds up you got a potential franchise quarterback that’s pro ready in the 2nd round.

1 Like