Totally off the wall surprise pick at 1A

I see some posters come up with every scenario imaginable and then take credit for getting it right after the draft. :joy:

4 Likes

Johnston.
6ā€™3"
Would not mind it.

Iā€™m going to go 1A and 1B - Johnson and Johnston. And you better beleive I will take credit for it after the draft!
Adam Sandler Head Nod GIF

so here is the thing. Everyone knows I loved Stafford. When someone compared him to Stafford early in the process I perked up and wanted to see this guy. He thinks sexy, he throws a great ballā€¦but I was wanting moreā€¦I think I feel about Levis what @Mr.Peabody feels about AR15ā€¦I expected moreā€¦wanted more from Levisā€¦now I also understand and wanted more from AR15ā€¦but I can talk myself into why someone would take a chance on himā€¦his comp is Josh Allenā€¦I know unicorns and I hate unicornsā€¦Levis comp is Paxton Lynchā€¦yuuuuuuuuuuuck

1 Like

As you should! Go ahead and do your strut!
Conor Mcgregor Mma GIF by UFC

Obviously I hate the Paxton Lynch comps lol. I actually hate comps in general that refer to a bust player.

Imo, comps should be made optimistically. Expressing that a player who hasnā€™t even played a professional snaps outlook is of a guy who canā€™t play in the XFL is a total slap in the face.

An AR15 comp to Josh Allen is an absolute ceiling.
A Paxton Lynch comp is an absolute floor.
Not the same thing at allā€¦

Bias comps 100%. Whoever made that AR15 comp loves him. And whoever made that Lynch comp hates Levis.

4 Likes

Carolina takes Stetson Bennett at #1OA

donā€™t tease meā€¦why canā€™t this be like madden and we just force trades and picks that WE WANT!?

We are over here talking about Goff and AR15 and Stroud and Hooker and Young and Holmes is looking at Levis the entire time going: Gotcha!

Jamming Rock N Roll GIF by Energizer Bunny

I keep reading that on this board about Holmes, he has had 2 drafts here in Detroit, we took Sewel who was the BPA, along with Parsons in his 1st draft and we took Hutchinson who was arguably the best player last year.

Also the team was void of talent and in a rebuild. Now with a few FA periods and his 3rd draft he has a team that has a real chance to win a division and make the playoffs.

Even if you go back to his LA days, the last 1st round pick they had was Jared Goff in 2016, everything from that point on has been 2nd round or worse

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be upset either. Would solidify the wr group!

2 Likes

Me too brother!

2 Likes

To me Johnson from TCU is far from a surprise pick he is in the Top 10 options at #6 I would say!!

While I have no idea, hereā€™s my best shot at Brad-like thinking:

For now, Iā€™ll take trade-ups and trade downs off the table.

Bradā€™s philosophy is to draft BPA, but account for value positions.
So scratch any RB, LB, TE, S, IOL and maybe even DL and CB.
Which leaves QB, Edge, OT, WR (and maybe DL or CB).

• CB is incredibly deep so scratch that. We can get one round 2 or 3.
  • DL would be in play only if thereā€™s an exceptional talent that fits the locker room and there isnā€™t. so scratch that. Maybe day 2 or 3.

So weā€™re down to QB, Edge, OT or WR.

Just a week or two ago, I thought worst case for the top 5 was:
Young/Stroud/Anderson/AR/Carter.
But in that case, I predict weā€™d go Levis, the QB.
If one team surprises and takes Levis, I think we go AR-15.
Either one needs to sit and learn from our coaches. Which is fine. This is the year to do it.

Now, I think worst case is 4QBā€™s and Anderson, bc I donā€™t think we take Carter.

So if the four QBā€™s are gone, we prolly get one later.
This leaves Edge, OT, and WR.
If you look at WR, thereā€™s four that are close. So scratch that and leave it for 1B (18OA).
Which leaves Edge and OT.
Which leaves Tyree Wilson or Paris Johnson (or Skoronski, I guess).

Imagine Johnson, Sewell, and Decker in heavy sets.
Iā€™d root for Paris Johnson.
And Quentin Johnston as the WR with 1B.

Small sample size in Detroit as you ref however, I think some are using the analytic chart that was in another thread showing BH going for premium positions.

1 Like

Right, I veered off course. OK, Jaren Hall, my fave late-round QB.

1 Like

Trading #6 to the vikings for 3 future first rounders
Picking Carter up with one of our second round picks

2 Likes

Tavaiā€™s brother! We took Jahlani 5 rounds too soon, and history often repeats itself. haha

This little voice in the back of my head keeps saying, ā€œWitherspoon, Witherspoonā€¦ā€

2 Likes
1 Like