Trade both 2nd to move back into 1st

I see a real need to move back into the middle of the 1st. To me, it would be worth it. Comparable talent isn’t there in the 2nd.

1A- Carter
1B- Best CB on the board
1C- Drew Sanders

Our D could easily swing into a top 10 D

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this as well. If the right guy is there, someone they can’t live w/o than go for it. Especially if they can trade down from 6 to say 9 first to pick up a couple med rounders. This still gives us picks in the important mid area of the draft where team depth is developed.

4 Likes

Celebrate Derrick Henry GIF by Tennessee Titans

4 Likes

Trade down to #9 and score #39

#9. Gonzalez
#18. Bijan
#39. John Michael Schmitz
#48. K Benton
#55. Sydney Brown
#81. WR/TE

Sign Wagner and Vonn Bell

1 Like

I’ve been saying this for a while that this is the most likely scenario knowing what we know about Holmes. He’s aggressive and seems to value quality over quantity so I fully expect those two 2nds to be packaged for a trade up if he sees an impact guy sitting there in the late 1st and I’m all for it.

3 Likes

I really think this is why Brad traded Hock. He trades up, not down. That said, I’m still hoping for a trade down from 6 to 8 or 9. Then we woud have three seconds to play with.
I’m all for trading up in the first.
And trading down in the first.

2 Likes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
or, THIS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like the idea of trading up. It’s more probable than trading down if you go off of Brad Holmes two drafts.

Trenton Simpson is a guy the Lions might target at the end of the 1rst round. The Packers traded (#53 and #59) to move up to #34 last year. The Lions currently have (#48 and #55) which could move us up slightly higher, maybe 27-31 range.

We play in a division with Justin Fields who is breaking all kinds of rushing QB records. Trenton Simpson is a freak athlete at LB and if you were going to build a “Spy” football player, Simpson is THAT guy. He would be a Justin Fields eraser when he leaves the pocket.

Military kid would fit perfectly into Dan Campbell’s locker room, who also has a family full of veterans.

6 - Tyree Wilson
18 - Bijan Robinson
29 - Trenton Simpson

I’m still hoping the Bears “bear down” the way they have been.

They have a lot of resources, but I still think they screw it up.
The way to win our division is build the trenches, IMO.
Nasty, ugly, messy football.

3 Likes

chris farley GIF

Rough year for Bears fans. The Mice of the Midway

3 Likes

I’ve been loving it. Just hoping they keep up with “their way”
I’ve met so many rude Bears fans too. I love it.

4 Likes

We stopped RB’s pretty well last year (until Carolina’s skating rink).
We got killed by rushing QB’s last year.
So, yeah, lets get a guy who can keep up with Fields, Hurts, Jackson, Mahones, etc etc.

2 Likes

It really is interesting as you watch teams go up against running qbs, most actually struggled with hurts and fields like we did. With that said, at the end of the day it is about winning the game not how many rushing yards you give up to the qb. We definitely need better and faster lb play but i do think with these athletes at qb you will have somewhat of that let them get theirs and control the rest of the game.

2 Likes

“I would not be shocked at all if he went in the first round. I know one thing. If you want to — if you are in a division with an athletic quarterback, like if you were in the — if you were in the NFC East with Jalen Hurts and you want to have somebody that can play that role and be a spy and be able to mirror and just close those alleys, this dude is unbelievable when he spies the quarterback.”

Quote from Daniel Jeremiah about a week ago

I’ve watched a handful of Clemson games being a Carolina resident. The kids athleticism just jumps off the screen. He’s not a thumper, but man can he run from sideline to sideline and make plays. His dad was an Army Ranger which is a different breed of human. A lot to like about Trenton Simpson. He’s about to become a headline grabber after this combine performance.

1 Like

Could be a good spot for couple guys like Forbes, Ocyrus, Bijan at the end of round 1 or top of round 2.

#48 and #81 should get it done to the top of round 2.

ESPECIALLY if we can trade down from #6 then this makes absolute perfect sense

Carter DT
Ocyrus OG
Forbes CB

I wouldn’t this year.

2 Likes

No relation to OJ i hope

2 Likes

After Carter’s legal troubles, I think the Lions won’t be going anywhere near him.

I am open to the idea of 3 first rounders though with a trade up. Holmes said in his presser yeserday, that Jamo will basically be like adding an extra 1st rounder next year since he barely played last year. And lets be honest, they knew that when they drafted him it was more about 2023 and beyond coming off the serious injury.

I definitely would not do this unless a major talent started to slip. This is not a deep class with 1st round prospects and both our 2nds will only get us into the back end of round 1. About the only players I would do it for is Anthony Richardson (who I think will be long gone), and Bijan Robinson. Maybe if a Witherspoon/Gonzalez/Branch falls and we haven’t already taken a CB. Outside of that I would let the board come to us.

1 Like

All of this is 100% true, but he’s got no LB instincts. That’s my biggest problem with Simpson, he’s all athlete. And to me LB is the most instinctive position on the field. Simpson reminds me of Ernie Sims, Jarrad Davis, Isaiah Simmons, Jerome Baker, Tyus Bowser, Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen, and a laundry list of other athletic LBs who rank from meh to terrible.

Mike Runner, the main draft analyst over at PFF, said Nick Herbig looked more instinctive in 50 snaps playing off the ball than Simpson ever did, and I agree with him. I’d rather have Henley who’s gonna be almost as athletic but has much better instincts.

3 Likes