Trade for Baker Mayfield

I’d rather have Foles. He just became available.

2 Likes

If Baker Mayfield ever plays for the Lions, I will stop following the Lions until he’s either on the bench or the waiver wire (preferably). You’re not allowed to be that unlikeable unless you have the talent to back it up, and Baker doesn’t.

1 Like

Yeah. Turds are usually leaving out the back while leaders are more out front….leading.

1 Like

Seattle and Carolina and anyone else opted not to meet Cleveland’s trade demands during the draft (best time to trade him). I’m guessing that Cleveland isn’t willing to eat a significant portion of Baker’s contract.

Cleveland is hoping that someone gets desperate and pays up for Baker due to injury. Personally, I’d love to see the Brown’s pay $65M QB’s this year (more if they have a 3rd stringer on roster).

1 Like

I’d rather have Minshew or Huntley or another young backup that can be a serviceable starter.

1 Like

But way too expensive for back up role. I don’t see a high potential back up QB in that team, cause we still don’t compete this year.

QB will be priority next off season.

With the Steelers drafting Pickett in Rd 1, the Panthers drafting Corral in Rd 3, what team is left that would want him?

This may not get settled until a team has an injury at QB… or until a team decides it wants to make a change during the season.

IMO… Cleveland is going to end up eating almost of his salary if they can trade him.

For example, an injury to Stafford that threatens to keep him out 6 weeks… might make the Rams willing to give up a pick with the hope they can stay in the playoff race until Stafford returns later in season. The Rams still couldn’t afford his $18 million salary, but could flip a 3rd round pick if the Brown eat the salary (like Broncos did last year in Von Miller trade).

1 Like

I don’t think Baker is better than Goff. I think Goff is going to suprise this year. Baker had a good offense in Cleveland and didnt get it done. I know he was hurt but I just don’t see him being an upgrade. Plus its a no go with his salary.

2 Likes

In a bubble, I’d have no issue with Mayfield coming here. He played injured last year. Multiple injuries.

But this wouldn’t be in a bubble. The contract is too much. Term is too short of time left on it.

Only way you do that deal is trading away Goff. I don’t see this staff doing that. Not right now.

If this was next off season and Goff had a bad year and Baler still had a year left on his deal, I could easily see the Lions making a call. The more of the contract you absorb, the less it’s will cost someone.

The only way I see that trade happen is if Goff has a season ending injury before the trade deadline… and Lions decide that tanking with Boyle would hurt the progress of the rest of the team.

That’s not accurate . . . might want to retake 2nd grade math.

4 Likes

Is it just me or does the MLB’s Trevor Bauer resolution put Watson at greater peril of receiving a suspension longer then the Browns envisioned?

1 Like

7. State of Baker Mayfield. Odd that no one wants a guy who was a top-12 quarterback in 2020 and gutted out an injured season last year. He doesn’t fit Seattle, and he’d muck up the Carolina situation, with the Panthers wanting to see if Sam Darnold has a prayer of being the guy. I really have no clue where he’s going—though I now am dubious of the pre-draft thought that if he was on the street the Steelers would grab him. Why, exactly, would Pittsburgh do that now? I think if I were the Browns, I’d try to get a 2023 seventh-round pick from Carolina and pay 90 percent of his salary, just to get him out of the Cleveland consciousness.

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat.

1 Like

We traded our 2023 7th for Brockers. :man_shrugging:

Maybe they’ll take our 2024 7th :grin:

1 Like

Offer them a 2023 6th and Tim Boyle for baker Mayfield and a 2023 7th

They agree to pay the price difference between Mayfield and Boyle

They still get something and he comes in here and is the backup to Goff

Later in the season a team has a injury at QB and we offer him up for say a 2023 4th

We literally traded Boyle and a 6th for a 4th and a 7th

2 Likes

Unless Cleveland pays like 90% of Bakes salary we don’t have the salary cap space unless we cut or restructure contracts and Baker isn’t worth it. They’ve committed to Goff. It’s not hard to understand, i don’t agree with Goff being our savior, but Baker isn’t the answer.

Minority or not I like Mayfield. The Lions situation doesn’t really fit for him, but I’d take a chance on the guy if it were feasible.

That’s what I’m saying basically swap his salary with Boyles. We pay Mayfield Boyles salary while Cleveland pays Boyle Mayfields salary while they move up a round in next year’s draft

1 Like

That could work but just don’t see them wanting him after commiting to Goff like they have, and Baker I’m sure isn’t going to accept being a backup, although he may not have a choice.