Trading Up with the 32nd and 34th picks

Where would it bring us to?

At best maybe 14th with Baltimore? Would they be willing to drop, might require a day three pick as well

I think the Chargers at 17 and the Eagles with their second pick at 18 would definitely be open to it depending on how the board fell.

But who would need to be available for us to move up? If Hamilton or Stingley drops out of the top 10 for whatever reason do we make a move up to get him or a Wyatt or Davis at DT?

I wouldn’t be all that surprised to see us give up 32 and a third round pick to get into the mid 20s and get a corner back if there is the potential to get someone like Booth or Elam. I’d be a lot happier with this Okudah to Safety chatter with one of those guys there with the potential to be the No.1 corner

Jordan Davis!

4 Likes

I think the only reason to make a move like that (which is totally on the table, I believe) is to go get a legit #1 X WR.

If that move is made, I bet Drake London is the target.

3 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t disagree with that and would have little issue with us giving up 32 and 34 to be aggressive to go get London if they think he is the guy.

I think that a true number 1/X receiver, a potential shutdown corner or a three down interior Dline man would be what they covet. Or if they feel that Hamilton is the best player in the draft but personally I would rather Booth or Elam and losing a third rounder that spending 34 on a slot corner like Pitre.

I could be happy w/that too.
Based on what I’ve read, I feel like Brad is sort of known for drafting WRs that outperform their draft position.

Nothing would surprise me. I think Brad is more committed to BPA than most GMs. I do think he’ll target guys that will be a bigger “bump up” in team performance, but I think he sticks to his board.

Ppl would be pissed, but I would not be surprised in the least if we went OL, even in the first. I trust Brad until proven otherwise.

2 Likes

In a deep draft without stars, trading up isn’t a great idea for the talent bereft Lions. The Lions will likely get two immediate starters at Nos. 32 & 34 (or near future starters).

1 Like

This draft is deepest in the late 1st and 2nd rounders. Potentially even into the 3rd. I personally want to add more picks in that 20-70 ranges, not give them up.

3 Likes

I would agree and wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade out of 32 and also package some out our sixth rounders together to get more picks in rounds 3 and 4 but I do wonder if there is a small group of players who the FO see as difference makers but slips for whatever reason into the back end of the first round will they be aggressive and go get them.

Too much talent from mid round one to mid round three (at least) for me to think about a trade up.

As I’ve said in other threads, I want more picks between 34 and 80, not less. I want them to drop back from 32, get something top of two plus. Use the plus to move up from 99 and get someone.

I feel those are starters. If not this year, definitely next year. In the case of having someone they’ll replace who’s on a one year deal.

1 Like

Or if we go for Sauce in round 1 and then move up to get Jermaine Johnson. Or if we do really like Malik but not enough to grab him at 2. Malik would have to slide a bit though which seems unlikely.

1 Like

I’d be fine with it for: Sauce, Stingley, Jameson or London. Otherwise I’d rather keep the picks.

3 Likes

Who would it bring us, is the question? There’s nobody worth a 2oa pick. How is someone worth a 1st and 2nd?

trading up is foolish in my opinion . yeah there are a ton of options/prospects, but none are drop dead beast mode MUST trade for players. there are a lot of serviceable players that could help this struggling team, yet this draft is watered down-as in no sure elite prospects. and we have sat here picking them apart for weeks, as to WHY they are not worth this pick or that one. BOTH Huch and Thibs we loved at first, have become lesser picks in our eyes now…and we have shot down a handful more to. BUT THEN , go back where they are thee sure bet with our first pick.

who's on first jimmy fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I don’t see the value right now moving up using those picks. The odds say you at least get really good player with one of those picks.

Your not moving into prime spots in draft your in middle so why would you gamble on one when your odds are better with two?

The draft we all know is a gamble I don’t see a player at middle of rd 1 that is worth last pick rd 1 an second pick rd 2

1 Like

I agree except for Stingley Others are worth value . I think Lions could do that for London or Sauce

Only trade up if you are specifically targeting dudes that you highly suspect are going to be available.

Like if we traded back and needed to trade up a little to get Jordan Davis or Willis :wink:

1 Like

I really like the odds of getting great talent at both the 32 and 34 picks. I’d be hard pressed to see a player in the fifteen range that has more potential impact than the two you’d be giving up.

For me, as a guy that wants Willis at the top, I feel like we can make that move, and still potentially add two impact starters on defense with the next two picks. The Chark acquisition means we don’t have to fill immediate holes in offense.

2 Likes

Y e s
…to all of it

For me there is only one reason you use that #32 pick and that is IF you are taking a QB there. If not, absent an insane slide for guys like Lloyd, Wyatt or J.Williams, then you need to trade that pick for a haul. Seattle for example has pick 40 and 41 and need a QB. There should be the last somewhat legit QB sitting there and if we don’t want him, perhaps Seattle would and then having that extra contract year we own the last one of becomes a very logical move for a team looking QB and one you pay more than face value for. The value between 32 and 33 “should” be worth way more than just 10 points, because you go from having a 5th year team option to not having it.

2 Likes

I think thats a bit unrealistic, IMO. Use the Ravens trade up for Lamar, which was the exact same spot and for a QB.

The Ravens traded up with the Eagles to select Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson with the No. 32 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. For the first time since 1999, five quarterbacks were selected in the draft’s first round. In order to move up, the Ravens sent their 52nd, 125th picks and a 2019 second-round selection to Philadelphia in exchange for the 32nd and 132nd selections this year.

That amounts to essentially a future 2nd rounder to move up 20 spots. Seattle moving up 8 spots would be willing to give up a 3rd rounder, tops.